Russian Elites Are Transforming Thailand’s Biggest Island as They Become More Unwelcome in the West

webfact

10 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

i'd say than u have zero business sense
already to many, prices have dropped alot and the new government will reverse the policy in place

i am neither worried about other stores nor their prices. will revisit this comment in a years time. you'll see. :)  as for the government ? what government would that be ? 

• Love It 1

Not only Thailand,  nha Trang in Vietnam , Bali, alanya in Turkey, and any other country that will allow them to enter, they are cashed up and buying, hence everywhere they go prices increase exponentially. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

To say that about Muslims or Blacks would be racist.

Why not internment camps ... mind boggling.

Y'all showing your colors.

Peace Out

If there's only x amount of spots, and 80 - 90% are suddenly from a certain country, how is that fair?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

they are cowards.  i have confronted a few on Bali. i had three choices in 68 in America.  1. sign up, 2. go to Canada, 3 protest.  i choose to stay and protest.  it worked.  not take a vacation 

Do you believe 2023 Russia is like 1968 America?  What was the worst that happened to you for protesting? 
Still alive with no skull damage, I see. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

What makes them all so elite?

Stupid description isn’t it? There will be some criminal elements, some normal people who classify at the top end of Russian society and a few rich ones even by Western standards.

my step daughter works in real estate in Phuket, 80% of the business is now rental to Russians, most on a limited budget

• Thumbs Up 1

Tongue in cheek ... get the numbers of Russians in Phuket up, Putin can declare he needs to send in military forces to protect the Russian speakers. After all, part of the rationale he used for invading Ukraine (and Hitler used to get the Sudetenland from the Western Powers ... peace in our times, indeed).

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Can someone explain to me how you can tell they are Russian, or any nationality unless in conversation with them.

You can usually tell by their very bad driving habits.

Fifteen years ago, there was a large enclave in Rawai, before the rouble went into freefall in 2014 and most left.

Myself and neighbours had many traffic interactions with the Russians.

Mine was relatively minor where I was hit by a bike driven an unlicensed woman, looking up at the clouds who claimed it was my fault because her dad was a Moscow Police Commissioner.

My neighbour was less unlucky and was put into an ICU and then repatriated home after being T-boned by one on a big bike doing around 160 km/h. After being admitted into hospital the driver did a runner.

Nevertheless, recently Putin has raised the conscription age and as he runs out of cannon fodder he will continue to do so.

He also has declared that those not replying to conscription notices will have their citizenship revoked and will become stateless.

I suggest that eventually only the very rich elite or the elderly will be the only ones left in Phuket.

As an aside....

The picture in the OP looks like the view looking north from the Kata Viewpoint but looks exceeding dry, something I have never witnessed before.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

You know the saying: 

“If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas”

It sounds like Thailand is an immoral country. Another place, I won’t be visiting. 

good stay home

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Tell that to Putin who's hell's bent on destroying and killing other nations.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Tell that to Putin who's hell's bent on destroying and killing other nations.

I think that Putin knows that a lot of everyday  Russians just want to rest and not fight, so nobody needs to tell him!  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

I think that Putin knows that a lot of everyday  Russians just want to rest and not fight, so nobody needs to tell him!  

.............and he doesn't care............????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Those young Russian people in their 20's and 30's are mostly children of corrupt government officials with lots of money in their pockets. Money laundering in Thailand!

Ah just hollering the old money laundering statement again when there is no evidence of such.

Edited by freeworld
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

the woman wear hankies on their heads

the fat men wear budgie snugglers, speedos

they all stand on the beach with hands on hips, and turn 90 degrees every few minutes to get an even tan.

they stand in the shallow sea in a circle

miserable looking gits

push past people in any queue, especially in 7

Thought you were describing persons from a large west European country there for a moment.

Edited by freeworld
  • Confused 1