You just won $1,000,000, US Dollars

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Give -0-, help me spend, all oll of it.

First thing to buy ... wife visa to USA, FR, RU

... the Louvre

... Moscow, St Petersburg 

... USA NPs, living nomadic, see 'em all

Yes! before it all is  nuked !

Get a good financial accountant and lawyer.  You would be surprised who wants to sue you.

Keep a couple mil for myself and set up a charitable living trust with the rest of it.

To much gravey will just make you fat and die young.

This kind of happened to me, one of my investments paid off very well and gave me a windfall.

So, I travel with Thai ladies. Took 2 to Singapore recently, went to Brazil with  a Thai lady for 3 months, today I go to Koh Lipe with 2 ladies.

No girlfriend, no wife. Life is good.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

1m USD is a lot of money, but not enough to never work again - at least if we are not already old.

Personally I would do the same as always with gradual changes. I.e. go more often to good restaurants, buy some more tools, maybe a new bike, etc.

And for the gf: If she doesn't know about it, don't tell her. If she knows a lot of money is coming, give her what she thinks is "a lot of money", maybe 100,000 THB. 

If it was 1 million dollars after taxes were paid I think you could live in a lower cost of living country like Thailand off the dividend interest if it was invested in dividend stocks paying around 5%.

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

If it was 1 million dollars after taxes were paid I think you could live in a lower cost of living country like Thailand off the dividend interest if it was invested in dividend stocks paying around 5%.

$1M USD = ฿34,208,500

or 42.7 yrs @ ฿800k a year

or 85 yrs @ ฿400k a year

WOW ... no more use of agents

@ USA, $50k for 20 years.   How much more do people need to live on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The equation changes at some point from 'need' to 'want' 

I've never needed more that $50k a yr in USA, or ฿400k in TH, and we live a very comfy lifestyle.  Want for nothing.

I do bring in about ฿1M a year now, and TBH, it's really hard to spend.  We save about half of it, without trying, and still live very comfy.

That's 3 newly built houses, and I'm on #5 new car in 20ish years.   I really don't know what people spend so much on. 

Alcohol & hookers ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

$1M USD = ฿34,208,500

or 42.7 yrs @ ฿800k a year

or 85 yrs @ ฿400k a year

WOW ... no more use of agents

@ USA, $50k for 20 years.   How much more do people need to live on.

In Bangkok I pay about 300B for espresso for mf gf and me per day. That's about 10k per month or 120k per year. It adds up, and not just the coffee. ???? 

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In Bangkok I pay about 300B for espresso for mf gf and me per day. That's about 10k per month or 120k per year. It adds up, and not just the coffee. ???? 

Yikes ... my morning 200ml of coffee (Americano, using 50gr of Arabica) cost <30 baht, and as good or better than most shops.   And ... don't need to travel to have it.

Day I spend 100 baht for a cup of coffee, shoot my butt ????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I really don't know what people spend so much on. 

Many spend on increased comfort, whatever that might be... my college roommate who was very successful flies private now, though it took him a couple of years to admit it... sure, it would not feel worthwhile for near everyone, but he has so much, he is not going to run out of money, so, why not? 

My curiosity is, what would increased comfort be for others? 

Personally, as a lifetime saver/investor, I have trouble adjusting to being a spender. Any extravagance rarely seems worth the price. I did buy a nice resort style home which has probably doubled in 4 years... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

16 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

My curiosity is, what would increased comfort be for others? 

Personally, as a lifetime saver/investor, I have trouble adjusting to being a spender. Any extravagance rarely seems worth the price. I did buy a nice resort style home which has probably doubled in 4 years... 

Yea, I'm not the frivolous shopper myself.  My houses here have been custom built for me.  Don't think I need or want a more comfortable cars.  Both far from expensive.

Toys ... I thought ฿70k / $2k USD was a silly price for a camera lens, but turned out to be worth every baht.  They offer a better one for $13k USD ???? that actually has limitations to it ????

My friends use to think my dining out budget in the USA was silly, or holiday/diving priority over working 5 days a week, but I didn't have kids, so no real budget concerns.

To spend $1M in 10-20 years, I'd have to be a bit frivolous with spending, especially if it was extra, and still had my pittance of an income ????

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yikes ... my morning 200ml of coffee (Americano, using 50gr of Arabica) cost <30 baht, and as good or better than most shops.   And ... don't need to travel to have it.

Day I spend 100 baht for a cup of coffee, shoot my butt ????

Americano is a lot of water with coffee taste. 

Nuff said.

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2023 at 7:52 PM, LaosLover said:

That's what I'm saying, at a certain point, it's not "what a waste", it's how can I waste more?

See also: BS high end whiskey like Johnny Walker Blue Label. The people paying $220 for a bottle of whiskey are mad that they're not drinking a $1000 whiskey. They can only drink so much in a lifetime; be gone swill!! The people drinking Johnny Walker Blue are successful dentists, not true VIP's. 

Thrift alert: JW-Blue is only $160 in Vientiane.

Johnny Walker is a blended whisky, streets away from a single malt prestige whisky.

A Scots millionaire who owned a distillery attempted to educate me in the finest whiskies he had. Regrettably, I have plebeian tastes in that area, he visibly shuddered when I said i usually drank whisky with coke. Laphroiag and Glenfiddich, according to him, were middle range commercial whiskies.

For those who would like to know how to drink whisky as it should be done. pour one dram, add one drop of water to release the bouquet. Ice is a no-no. Sip slowly.

7 hours ago, wombat said:

Win 1 mill

You'd have 475k left after taxes

Not exactly.

You win 1 million but.....................that would be the starting number (before taxes) if you chose annuity payments.  If you decide to accept a lump sum, you would cut that in half.

Now you have half a million as a lump sum.

Then the goobermint takes their fair share, at the top end that would be 37%.

But you're not done yet, depending on your state of residence.  Several states also want a cut of that juicy payout.

Residents of Arizona get to take home about 300K.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/finance/lottery-tax