Just imagine if you were Thai...

bob smith

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Don't start, usually when you vote you should have some idea of who would be the prime minister should your party won,  how many voters in the UK's last general election can envision the current and previous prime ministers they have now? 

Not perfect, but it can only last a maximum of 4 years. That's probably better than 4 general elections in the same time period.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

You have democracy?!!  Please don't make me split my sides with laughter.  IMHO almost all politicians in all political parties in all countries are corrupt and self-serving.  In many 'so-called democracies, the corruption and fraud is well-hidden but it's there.  At least countries like Thailand, Cambodia etc don't try to hide their corruption ????

So much flows from an argument like that. So many excuses to deny the effectiveness of democracy despite it's imperfections. Use Australia as an example. Show widespread corruption or that elections and the press aren't free and fair. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

So much flows from an argument like that. So many excuses to deny the effectiveness of democracy despite it's imperfections. Use Australia as an example. Show widespread corruption or that elections and the press aren't free and fair. 

You obviously don't read the Murdoch press in Australia when elections roll around, please point me to when they have ever failed to support the Liberal-National coalition in the editorials.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bob smith said:

we have democracy. they clearly dont, unless you know otherwise?

Don't know where your from but in my country, we have corruption, division, incompetency, fake media, hatred, high taxes, high inflation, dishonest politicians, and just an overall distrust for anyone with power. 

Luckily I live in Thailand, where I don't have to worry about what goes on in my country anymore. Since I'm just a guest in this country, I would never presume to criticize my host politics, that's their business not mine.

Have you ever considered the reason for the average Thai's attitude towards Farangs changing for the worse over the years, is because we stick our nose where it doesn't belong.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You obviously don't read the Murdoch press in Australia when elections roll around, please point me to when they have ever failed to support the Liberal-National coalition in the editorials.

My reference to freedom of the press is that they are free from government interference to a fair degree.

Sure, if you suggest that the notion that the Murdoch press has too much power and a clear preference for the liberal party, is not an ideal situation, that is fine. But such an issue does not in my opinion result in the apparent conclusion by the previous poster that the situation in Thailand, is similar to countries like Australia, and therefore democracy is not effective at all. 

Australia is an example where people are free to vote, there are checks and balances to ensure a free election, and you can be confident the winner won. Despite the type of imperfections you have noted. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Seriously? Is that really your only issue with the current state of American "democracy" - that people protested against a blatantly stolen election? What about the fact that a totally senile puppet was installed in place of the man who was actually elected? Does that not bother you?

So tRump and his lawyers were so incompetent they couldn't prove their case in over 60 lawsuits?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I would be ashamed to call myself a Thai at the moment.

10 minutes ago, bob smith said:

my wife is Thai and she just said that your comment is beyond ridiculous. 

now what? should I tell her to keep her nose out too?

Your wife must be a very patient woman.

Is she ashamed that she is Thai? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

would you not be embarrassed by whats going on here at the moment politcally?

all this childish infighting, Thaksin, is he coming back or isnt he? Prawit, retiring at breakfast, reinstated by lunch time.

Pitha, voted for by the people but still cannot form a government. 

all this constant attention on these politicians and whether or not they are qualified to hold office, who they are gonna buddy up with etc.. its disgusting.

Politics is about representing the people. thats why you are there supposedly!! not to get the best deal possible for your own selfish ends.

Honestly, I thought american politics was bad but this lot take the cake.

All of them should hang their heads in shame.

None of them are worthy enough to represent the people.

I would be ashamed to call myself a Thai at the moment.

The word 'thai' means free apparently.

They cant even get democracy right for god sake.

Just how free are these people really???

according to freedom house they are 'not free.' kind of ironic, dont you think?

I feel you.

However I don't think Thais should be ashamed.

All those politician morons should be.

Don't think they are though.

Not too much.

So it would be a shame to see the victims ashamed.

I would feel sadness, bitterness and resentment for sure.

But again I agree.

All this nonsense is damaging to the reputation of the country.

And I don't see how this could end well...

• Thumbs Up 1