Is adultery legal?

Lorry

24 minutes ago, Lorry said:

1. In Thailand,  is adultery a criminal offence?

2. If someone has an affair with a married woman,  can her husband sue him? Sue him for damages, or sue him to get him punished?

I know he can get a knife and kill him, this is not my question. 

My questions are the legal aspects. 

Depends, he could not sue you for adultery but he could sue you for defamation in multiple ways depending on multiple things. Or get you beaten up in a less worse scenario.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

I know he can get a knife and kill him, this is not my question. 

My questions are the legal aspects. 

Well he can legally hold a gun licence and gun so wouldn't bother with a knife.

Never mind husbands, boyfriends kill girlfriends because they go out with another guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Depends, he could not sue you for adultery but he could sue you for defamation in multiple ways depending on multiple things. Or get you beaten up in a less worse scenario.

I think we have to draw a picture to understand what this topic is about.

OP, please correct me if I am gerting this wrong, but I believe you are talking about a married couple, whom I shall call Anthony and Barbara, and a third person, male, whom I shall call David and who has an affair with Barbara.

Now, about the suggestion of ChayaTH that "he could not sue you for adultery but he could sue you for defamation", the only possibility of defamation I can see is that if Anthony accuses David publicly of adultery with Barbara, David can sue Anthony for defamation.

Actually, if David is married, to a woman whom I shall call Elisa, there is a second possibility. If Elisa accuses Barbara of adultry with David, Barbara can sue Elisa for defamation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

OP, please correct me if I am gerting this wrong, but I believe you are talking about a married couple, whom I shall call Anthony and Barbara, and a third person, male, whom I shall call David and who has an affair with Barbara.

Now, about the suggestion of ChayaTH that "he could not sue you for adultery but he could sue you for defamation", the only possibility of defamation I can see is that if Anthony accuses David publicly of adultery with Barbara, David can sue Anthony for defamation.

Actually, if David is married, to a woman whom I shall call Elisa, there is a second possibility. If Elisa accuses Barbara of adultry with David, Barbara can sue Elisa for defamation.

There are more possibilities;

The affair between Barbara & Elisa. Or Anthony & David, Elisa & Anthony..????

Edited by Tarteso
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rings a bell, maybe can sue them

It rings a bell with me as well.

I seem to remember something about being able to sue someone for having sex with your wife. That would have been over 20 years ago though.

• Haha 1

I had some experience with this recently. Yes, it can be sued to get financial compensation for damage of the marriage and loss of reputation or other complications affecting life.  The other party can however countersue in order to neutralize the lawsuit as there are 2 persons of different couples involved.  The court will ask both parties to settle this matter. If no agreement is reached the court will decide.

Edited by msbkk
addition
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

What is the dogs name? 

"all parties involved in the act of adultery can be liable for adultery and may be sued under the civil and commercial code.

Adultery in Thailand is defined as sexual intercourse between a person who is married and another person who is not their spouse." [Source

• Like 1

How much does this really matter? If your wife wants to sleep w/another guy, isn't that just as disloyal, in its way, as doing it? 

But then, how many people get married and suddenly find that there are no other attractive people in the world? 

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

How much does this really matter? If your wife wants to sleep w/another guy, isn't that just as disloyal, in its way, as doing it?

It all depends on the other guy, If he looks anything like me, can you blame her? :tongue:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It all depends on the other guy, If he looks anything like me, can you blame her? :tongue:

I try never to blame anyone - except a couple of the braggarts and highly unaware guys I have seen on this forum... and one very perverted guy... but sure, I think most healthy adults look and imagine. 

I met a Thai lady we liked each other so much that we ended up going the full hog she had told me she had a BF but he lived in Germany . We didn’t live together but she would come to my place a couple of times a week and that suited me after about 3 months I found out be pure accident that her BF was her Husband when I challenged her over it her answer was in Thailand you can be married and still take a BF / Lover so I’ve carried on she is currently in Europe staying with him ! I don’t know the answer to your question all I can say is when the cats away the mouse will play !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well he can legally hold a gun licence and gun so wouldn't bother with a knife.

Never mind husbands, boyfriends kill girlfriends because they go out with another guy.

Why is it guys get pissed at some other dude for enjoying what the mans' wife served to them.  Maybe look at the wife, and ask yourself do you want to stay with a cheat.  Help her pack, and drop the 'C' off at the dude's place.