Pheu Thai breaking with Move Forward to form its own coalition

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Did you miss the point that Prawit is in the coalition? Last time I checked he runs the main military party

According to the below thread, Palang Pracharath which is Prawits party will not be part of the PT coalition.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

I don't think that Thaksin is being wily, I think that he is just desperate enough to come home that he will destroy the PT party just to achieve his own ends.

Makes perfectly sense, I guess everyone here has a short memory, and forgot about the rumours months before the election happened, where Prawit was projected as the kingmaker, and key to Thaksins return

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Don't be fooled. See my previous posts. This might actually be some magnificiant political maneuver to oust the military once and for all. Absolutelty intriguing politics this is on a grand scale. A movie should or will be made about this. Very, very fascinating and I say this as a person educated in polical science.

I can see the possibilities' of this but PT will only be given enough rope to keep them happy, and bills going through the Parliament the Conservertive/ Miltary parties are against will not be put forward as they have a majority in this unholy coalition.

I do think whatever happens that PT will be decimated at the next G.E. if they go anywhere near helping the Cons/Military consolidate any sort of way to keep the Senators in their current position after May next year.

Hope there is a statement from MFP and Pita soon, that could be interesting.

Despite what all it means in the short term (say, 4 years at most? Ie, until next general election?) I'm going to at least try to be a little 'glass-half-full' about all this.......in one particular sense. In the sense that without a doubt - imo & cliche alert! - 'the genie's out of the bottle.'

So to speak......and in fact there's more than one genie we are talking about (well, I am)  coming out of multiple bottles, but yet all related. Kissin' cousins, to be sure.

Each genie is a symptom of the deeper political & cultural malaise with which this poor country's been afflicted for just about all of its modern history, being most perfectly exemplified by the current crisis. (Note: a crisis deliberately engineered into its existence now by very, very crafty but nasty people, some years ago.)

So who are these genies? Well, I guess even genies have a kind of heirachy....so there must be genies possessing different status and powers to influence. I guess. 

???????????????? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

According to the below thread, Palang Pracharath which is Prawits party will not be part of the PT coalition.

There have been so many news reports and social media messages, all contradicting each other, posted here in the past week, that it is difficult to know what will happen.

According to another thread, tomorrow the coalition will be announced, so maybe we know then.

I think that without PPP they can not have a majority.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I can see the possibilities' of this but PT will only be given enough rope to keep them happy, and bills going through the Parliament the Conservertive/ Miltary parties are against will not be put forward as they have a majority in this unholy coalition.

I do think whatever happens that PT will be decimated at the next G.E. if they go anywhere near helping the Cons/Military consolidate any sort of way to keep the Senators in their current position after May next year.

Hope there is a statement from MFP and Pita soon, that could be interesting.

PT will be the majority party in the coalition by a long way. If they cross the floor and vote with the opposition, MFP, parliament becomes unworkable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I posted this on another thread before this one popped up and I have slightly edited it.

PTP have dumped MFP and will form a coalition and I would expect government. They also said (reported elsewhere and cannot be sourced i.e. BP) they would reform and ammend the constitution and this seems to be in relation to the appointed senators and call a new general election. Interesting politics indeed. Let's see what happens. PTP must show their support base they have not betrayed them. MFP will be opposion but if PTP and MFP vote as a block in the house of reps along with the other coalition partners they will have the numbers to change the constitution and bring about a new election. All PTP parlimentarians would have to cross the floor to vote with the opposition MFP.  Talk about political machernations. It's insane and all because of 250 appointed generals by the coup leadership to entrench their power and override any democratic election result that threatens it.

The more I think about this the more intersting it becomes. PTP could actually be like 5th columnists in plain sight and cross the floor and vote against the government i.e. itself and it's military/conservative/royalist coalition or abstain on basically every vote. Is this actually possible?

I hope you're right

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Maybe, but it has to meet the voters eyes as well. Political subtlety is not their strongest point.

True. This was in my thoughts as I was posting. Pity is this will be to the benefit of the military aka coup.

With the complete lack of morals and political scruples of Thai politicians and parties, I wouldn't be at all surprised if PT (or Thaksin) plans to make a coalition acceptable to the senators now, then engineer circumstances which cause one of those parties to leave. Perhaps some dirt comes out about the watch collector, or the man from Buriram, in about a year's time. Their party leaves, and MFP is invited to join the ruling coalition.

According to the story at "you know where" PT is going to support many of MFP's policies (except 112) even if they are not going to be part of the new govt. Perhaps once the current Senate is no more and the EC has been manipulated to get a more amenable senate PT may support the MFP when they try to abolish conscription. Prawit and his mob walk out in disgust, PT invite the MFP in, then BJT would leave too, and it's back to the original PT-MFP coalition.

we will just have to wait and see !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who believes what Pheu Thai is saying now? the always they stayed together, but at the firt moment they can the break up to take over.. Now a so called interim Government, but that will take 4 years to change the constitution and probably will change too section 112. Another promise they don't keep, as they claim not to touch this section.  The bill be paid by Pheu Thai

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

There's a thing called crossing the floor where oppostion members can vote with the government or government members can vote with the opposition. If PT cross the floor and vote with the opposition this I think would make a majority vote. The constitution could be ammended this way before next year. Opposition puts the bill before parliament, PT cross the floor and vote with the opposition and the bill would get passed by a majority. It's just a scenario?

I think a rifle in back clause follows though. 

The fault MFW did is the lease majesty issue.....this can not be achieved in this decade ...not in this Thailand....

However they won the election , this promise could not be accomplished , that was a golden vote winning goal / promise for them....but it blocked them the same time .

Too young party in Thai ( shark) politics 

Edited by david555
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

There have been so many news reports and social media messages, all contradicting each other, posted here in the past week, that it is difficult to know what will happen.

According to another thread, tomorrow the coalition will be announced, so maybe we know then.

I think that without PPP they can not have a majority.

They can get a House majority without PPP with about 5 parties. PT 141 + Bhumjai 71 + Democrat 25 + Prachachart 9 + Thai Sang Thai 6 = 252. In total they can probably get 7-8 parties in there.

I think getting Prawit into the coalition will cost PT too much in the future for questionable gain.

But yes we should see soon what they are going for.

41 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

There's a thing called crossing the floor where oppostion members can vote with the government or government members can vote with the opposition. If PT cross the floor and vote with the opposition this I think would make a majority vote. The constitution could be ammended this way before next year. Opposition puts the bill before parliament, PT cross the floor and vote with the opposition and the bill would get passed by a majority. It's just a scenario?

But after a bill passes the House it will have to pass the Senate. And we know how the Senate stands in relation to major points of Move Forward.

Pheu Thai dumps Move Forward to form a new coalition

By Peter Roche

image.jpeg

The Pheu Thai Party formally announced this afternoon that it will nominate property tycoon Srettha Thavisin as its PM candidate when the next joint sitting of parliament takes place this Friday.

Pheu Thai will form a coalition without Move Forward Party after MFP refused to withdraw their election pledge to amend the fractious lese majeste laws, aka. Article 112 of the Thai Criminal Code.

It is likely that both BhumJai Thai and the Palang Pracharat parties – both formerpolitical foes of Pheu Thai – will join the new coalition. Move Forward Party will move to the opposition benches with it’s 116 MPs.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/breaking-pheu-thai-dumps-move-forward-to-form-a-new-coalition/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Pheu Thai dumps Move Forward to form a new coalition

By Peter Roche

image.jpeg

The Pheu Thai Party formally announced this afternoon that it will nominate property tycoon Srettha Thavisin as its PM candidate when the next joint sitting of parliament takes place this Friday.

Pheu Thai will form a coalition without Move Forward Party after MFP refused to withdraw their election pledge to amend the fractious lese majeste laws, aka. Article 112 of the Thai Criminal Code.

It is likely that both BhumJai Thai and the Palang Pracharat parties – both formerpolitical foes of Pheu Thai – will join the new coalition. Move Forward Party will move to the opposition benches with it’s 116 MPs.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/breaking-pheu-thai-dumps-move-forward-to-form-a-new-coalition/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

MFP 116 MP's? Thought it was 151 MP's

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Pheu Thai party announced this afternoon (Wednesday) that it is breaking from the Move Forward party to form its own coalition government and nominate Srettha Thavisin for selection as the prime minister of Thailand.

Nice try Pita.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Move Forward seems to be the only party with principles who honor what they promised their voters. I hope the voters won't forget that. 

They already have, working as normal, a long weekend, other things to do except what should have been done.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Evidently, the wide array of knowledgeable [not], yet naive, pundits are terribly surprise by these very predictable events. 

????????

Pita was never going to be allowed to be PM... end of.

He had the same coming as FFP a few years back.

Pheu Thai will do what they have to do to get into power..

I don't like them but they are better than the two P's... marginally better.