Is it really more fun in the Philippines?

bob smith

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Hi BMT, yes I visited  there briefly in the past but its not 1st on my list.With all the rumbling about the IO rules possibly changing I'm undecided if I'd go to Cambo or PP. I'm not deeply in love with either place. I did like Battambang though. As long as there is good farang food available.

Cambodia blows away the PI in the food department. Both local and foreign. And cheaper for foreign food. PI food is as bad as Cuban food (in Cuba). 

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Philippines is more expensive. The food sucks. Alcohol is cheaper though. The Filipinas used to be  more fun and better in bed, but not anymore. But it's a beautiful country, and is different enough to make for a nice change after years or decades in LOS 

What do you think changed? I used to find them to be incredible lovers. 

Agree about the food. The Western food is good, but expensive. The local food is mostly horrendous. 

For me food is important, however I always wonder why people emigrate to a country where they do not like the local cuisine and keep eating their western food, in American chains such as Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut or Sizzler for instance. As in an expensive "food ghetto" of expats.

5 minutes ago, AlfonsV said:

For me food is important, however I always wonder why people emigrate to a country where they do not like the local cuisine and keep eating their western food, in American chains such as Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut or Sizzler for instance. As in an expensive "food ghetto" of expats.

For easy women, cheap rent.

I know lots of Fillipinas, they are jolly pretty, friendly and most affectionate. I enjoy their company, and love their style.

Mind you, I used to teach in a Catholic school, and know many from Mass. They are more Catholic than the Pope!

Mind you, there is something about a pretty Asian girl, peeking out from a mantilla.

Unrequited obviously!

Edited by herfiehandbag

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hard to even fathom someone saying they hate all Westerners. That is like saying I hate most people. Strange. 

Very few western I choose to hang around or befriend in Thailand, but I do not hate anyone! 

There is a difference between no common ground and hate! 

• Thanks 1

I did 20 trips to Thiland..found a nice girl took her to Australia twice 3months tourist visa..she turned out bad ,untrustworthy and a thief  so I got rid of her and later did a few trips to the philipinesand found a lovely lady totally different now married 25 years ,a son and a grandson. It really makes a difference if they can speak english. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 8:51 AM, bob smith said:

I remember a few years ago I would see these signs in Bangkok cliaming its  more fun in the Philippines.

Crap food, lots of guns, more beautiful women. Up to you, what is more important. 

I took a big exploratory trip there years ago. My feeling at the end of it was that I COULD live there (picking the specific location with care) but that I didn't particularly WANT to. So kind of a backup. 

I still have a list of locations there I am interested in checking out.

Before I moved to to Thailand I knew a number of Filipino immigrants in the U.S. Friendly, absolutely. The ones I knew seemed burdened with Catholic guilt. My feeling was that their English speaking ability gives us the DELUSION that they think like westerners when in reality their culture is very very different. We think we get them. I seriously doubt that.

As least with Thais westerners generally are fully aware of how different they are.

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

Having lived there for about 10 years, I can honestly say the only thing I miss are the balikbayan boxes. And the local toska vodka. 

A very real assessment by somebody that has real time in there....

I have spent years there & I cannot find one good reason for going back.....

It's a desperate place filled with desperate people.....

Right down to the  groups of urchins that walk in circles hitting your vehicle with their fists at traffic lights. (the traffic lights that haven't had the wiring stripped out of them yet).....

On 8/5/2023 at 6:38 PM, Lacessit said:

I understand food in the Philippines is atrocious, and there is a lot more violent crime. On the plus side, visas are easier. Swings and roundabouts.

Not so sure about the "violent crime part ".Probably more scams and crime in general, but LOS is a pretty violent country. I have been biking all over the Philippines and Thailand. Encountered a lot a lot of aggression and an attempted robbery in Thailand. Never felt threatened or in danger in the Philippines. 

• Confused 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, spidermike007 said:

What do you think changed? I used to find them to be incredible lovers. 

Was there several times in the eighties and nineties  and ,yes, they were great. But on my recent trips I found them as mercenary as the Thais. Part of it could be myself being older now, but I have a feeling that the current crop is very different from their mothers. 

21 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Not so sure about the "violent crime part ".Probably more scams and crime in general, but LOS is a pretty violent country. I have been biking all over the Philippines and Thailand. Encountered a lot a lot of aggression and an attempted robbery in Thailand. Never felt threatened or in danger in the Philippines. 

A lot of crime against farangs you don't hear about 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I have no experience of the Philippines.

I have never felt threatened or in danger in Thailand.

i guess it depends what circles one moves in.

53 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Was there several times in the eighties and nineties  and ,yes, they were great. But on my recent trips I found them as mercenary as the Thais. Part of it could be myself being older now, but I have a feeling that the current crop is very different from their mothers. 

Funny. Reminds me of this great quote about age. 

Older people are perceived as cynics and misanthropes. But, they are simply people who have at last heard the still, sad music of humanity, played by a mediocre rock band howling for fame.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:17 AM, bob smith said:
On 8/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, Celsius said:

So another thread about prostitution.

Wow

I fail to see where i mentioned paying for sexual services in my OP?

Your references to "want your money" and "girly drinks" is an obvious reference to girls who are being paid.  No non-brasses are in it for "girly drinks".

"...the girls only want your money/girly drink whatever but the filipino girls seem like a hoot a minute".

And Flippers want cash just as much as any other female that you're likely to be able to snare.