Move Forward apologise to supporters as Pheu Thai forms new coalition

webfact

image.png

The secretary-general of the Move Forward Party has apologised to supporters for being unable to form a government. Chaithawat Tulathon addressed the media after the Pheu Thai Party announced its departure from the 8-party coalition previously led by MFP.

“We apologise to all the parties and supporters that the party could not be successful in forming a government that reflects the aspirations of the people. The Pheu Thai Party, at this moment, has declared its withdrawal from both the MoUs involving all 8 parties.”

Pheu Thai has withdrawn from the MoU related to the formation of an 8-party coalition government and a second MoU in relation to the selection of House Speaker.

By Peter Roche

FILE PHOTO: Facebook/ชัยธวัช ตุลาธน - Chaithawat Tulathon

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/move-forward-apologise-to-supporters-as-pheu-thai-forms-new-coalition/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Once the vote for PM has concluded, wouldn't PTP be able to do anything they wished?

At this point, they could tell the PPRP et.al to get stuffed, and go back to the original MOU with MFP, right? 

Edited by Brickleberry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Once the vote for PM has concluded, wouldn't PTP be able to do anything they wished?

At this point, they could tell the PPRP et.al to get stuffed, and go back to the original MOU with MFP, right? 

I've no idea, but maybe it's possible.

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I've no idea, but maybe it's possible.

My understanding is that the vote for PM is not contingent on any government deal. It is an independent vote, yes?  Once the PM has been chosen, they then form a cabinet. At this point, the PM can assign portfolios as he sees fit, as long as they have a majority of votes in the house.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

This move by Pheu Thai is about as dumb as Yingluck's move at amnesty for Thaksin back in 2013, which started the beginning of the end of her reign. It's dumb a move, so much so, that it questions the intelligence of Pheu Thai leaders, including the exiled criminal himself.

or could it be that they assume the lack of intelligence in the electorate. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

What system, other than the line-up for the trough that is well practiced and honed to a fine art. 

A system that denies the People their vote.

MFP hasn't been ever the government nor allied with the royslist-military complex to even have access to the trough. It's supporters have been told to go chew grass as it's reward.

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

This move by Pheu Thai is about as dumb as Yingluck's move at amnesty for Thaksin back in 2013, which started the beginning of the end of her reign. It's dumb a move, so much so, that it questions the intelligence of Pheu Thai leaders, including the exiled criminal himself.

Not necessarily. Move Forward only beat them by a couple of seats in the election. People make it out that it was a landslide victory when it wasn't. The voters of the military parties will never switch allegiance to Move Forward. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

My understanding is that the vote for PM is not contingent on any government deal. It is an independent vote, yes?  Once the PM has been chosen, they then form a cabinet. At this point, the PM can assign portfolios as he sees fit, as long as they have a majority of votes in the house.

I've often wondered about this too. However, one difficulty, given that Pheua Thai has now confirmed its sole purpose has always been to bring back Thaksin, is that once Thaksin is in Thailand, he will be a hostage to his party's deal with the establishment. Even when he's been granted a royal pardon, they can always arrange for other charges to be brought against him (versus quash them if Pheua Thai sticks to its deal with them).

4 hours ago, webfact said:

that the party could not be successful in forming a government that reflects the aspirations of the people.

Maybe a glimmer of hope. Posted on my Facebook page here in Cambodia about one hour ago (The Nation Thailand FB)

3rd August 2023. The CC's decision due on 16th August 2023. I wish you good luck MFP.

อาจเป็นรูปภาพของ ข้อความพูดว่า "THE NATION THAILAND BREAKING SIHN PM's vote postponed until Constitutional Court decides on ombudsmen's petition 03.08.2023 01.00 PM"

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "3 Aug 2023 THE NATION หางน Top court defers decision on petition from ombudsmen"

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "3 Aug 2023 THE NATION Thaksin may again postpone his return to Thailand"

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

Maybe a glimmer of hope. Posted on my Facebook page here in Cambodia about one hour ago (The Nation Thailand FB)

3rd August 2023.

อาจเป็นรูปภาพของ ข้อความพูดว่า "THE NATION THAILAND BREAKING SIHN PM's vote postponed until Constitutional Court decides on ombudsmen's petition 03.08.2023 01.00 PM"

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "3 Aug 2023 THE NATION หางน Top court defers decision on petition from ombudsmen"

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "3 Aug 2023 THE NATION Thaksin may again postpone his return to Thailand"

Yes, the first is true, but the second is refuted by the party faithful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

A system that denies the People their vote.

MFP hasn't been ever the government nor allied with the royslist-military complex to even have access to the trough. It's supporters have been told to go chew grass as it's reward.

My comment still stands, confirmed by your comment.