Sattahip Marks Sad One Year Anniversary of Mountain B Nightclub Fire That Killed 26 People

webfact

image.jpeg

Sattahip, Thailand-One year ago today, August 5th, 2023, a disaster of major proportions took place at the Mountain B nightclub in Sattahip when a fire broke out around 1:00 A.M. and quickly spread through the venue.

The club was full of patrons, mostly youth in their early 20’s, and the fire spread quickly throughout the venue.

Emergency exit doors were locked or blocked and as a result 26 people eventually died, about half at the scene and the other half later at hospitals, some after spending months trying to recover from their burn wounds. Fifty people were injured in total.

The horrifying images of young adults fleeing from the blaze, including some on fire, were widely shared on social media and horrified and stunned the Thai public. With so many youth at the start of their lives hoping for a fun night out but instead to lose their lives, the incident made international headlines.

By Adam Judd

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/05/sattahip-marks-sad-one-year-anniversary-of-mountain-b-nightclub-fire-that-killed-26-people/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-08-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

From the linked article: - 

image.png.89d8b2959673fb5815d380c775ddd804.png

and that link goes to the original coverage from last year.

No further news either way, it's vanishing in time-honoured Thai manner ???? 

I just have a sad memory of a young woman seen on the video escaping the club, and IIRC on fire, and later a friend filmed her in hospital looking in a bad way and having burns all over and particularly sad, facial.  Had some Vietnamese connection I think.... tragic, caused by stupidity and negligence.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I just have a sad memory of a young woman seen on the video escaping the club, and IIRC on fire, and later a friend filmed her in hospital looking in a bad way and having burns all over and particularly sad, facial.  Had some Vietnamese connection I think.... tragic, caused by stupidity and negligence.

Yes and IIRC several posters on this site at the time said they had no sympathy for the young Vietnamese lady who had been turned away from an over-crowded hospital.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nahkit said:

Yes and IIRC several posters on this site at the time said they had no sympathy for the young Vietnamese lady who had been turned away from an over-crowded hospital.

I don't think the story was " over crowded "  it was because they wanted a specify amount first prior to admission. Her girlfriend Thai saw the pain she was in at Sattahip felt transferring her would get better service as I remember reading. 

I also commented that this would be swept under like majority of cases due to the light shining on local authorities got heat like always sadly I was right bad for all the victims. I see it being no different with the latest fireworks hope I'm wrong on that! 

I was in Thermae Bar in Sukhumvit, Bangkok last month, with about 150 other people. It is an underground level bar with only one door for entry off the main street. This door open inwards to the bar and I was concerned that in the case of a fire the one door would not be big enough to allow all to leave and any crowd pushing towards this door would force it closed !

There is anther door at the back of the bar to a toilet area, upstairs but not well signposted and I suspect unknown to many of the customers.

I do not know who to contact about my concerns ?

25 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I was in Thermae Bar in Sukhumvit, Bangkok last month, with about 150 other people. It is an underground level bar with only one door for entry off the main street. This door open inwards to the bar and I was concerned that in the case of a fire the one door would not be big enough to allow all to leave and any crowd pushing towards this door would force it closed !

There is anther door at the back of the bar to a toilet area, upstairs but not well signposted and I suspect unknown to many of the customers.

I do not know who to contact about my concerns ?

I'd find out who the local MP is and write to him/her.