10 Gifts You Shouldn’t Give to Your Loved One

Confuscious

Gold  ?

Diamonds ?

Tom Ford, Dior, Chanel ?

A handbag ?

How about a fat lip, and letting her pick her window - both for her, and her stretch marked Gucci baggage ?

Lastly, I would like to note that love  doesn't equal expensive gifts....

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Confuscious said:

4. Perfume น้ำหอม /náam-hăwm/

As Thai people like to say if you don’t believe it, don’t disparage it. Many Thai think giving perfume to your partner could make your love lessen like the scent of the perfume that is fade away over time.

This is why my gf gives me 20B when I give her perfume. She "buys" it from me and that negates that rule. This principle seems to be normal with lots of Thai women. 

3 hours ago, Pla Simon said:

Gold  ?

Diamonds ?

Tom Ford, Dior, Chanel ?

A handbag ?

How about a fat lip, and letting her pick her window - both for her, and her stretch marked Gucci baggage ?

Lastly, I would like to note that love  doesn't equal expensive gifts....

Really, a fat lip? I hope just a really ugly bad joke. You’re right that love does not equal expensive gifts but they are also not prohibited. But fat lips are. 

27 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Really, a fat lip? I hope just a really ugly bad joke. You’re right that love does not equal expensive gifts but they are also not prohibited. But fat lips are. 

Oh, the irony....

The closing statement was from the OP...

Go back to your safe space.

11 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

Oh, the irony....

The closing statement was from the OP...

Go back to your safe space.

ok, no clue what you are saying or trying to say. Don’t hide behind the op - you did not quote - you posted. Oh, the irony.

Long ago, I started to be tired thinking of what gift to give to anybody.
I made the choice to give everybody I wanted to give a present a PREPAID CREDIT CARD with the amount I would chose to load the card in an Enveloppe.
This card was world wide accepted, even on Internet purchases.
Niever had a problem with gifts anymore.

IMG_20230814_0001.jpg

• 1 year later...

In Thailand, the idea of certain presents bringing bad luck can definitely make you think twice before choosing a gift. For example, giving shoes to your partner is thought to lead to separation because of the symbolism of walking away. And the black clothes thing—while it’s often considered stylish elsewhere, in Thailand it’s associated with mourning, which can feel a bit grim for a present. Another one that stood out to me is the superstition around clocks and watches. It's fascinating how something as everyday as a watch could be linked to the idea of a relationship "running out of time."

One thing that seems like a safer bet is something more personal or unique, like a name necklace. It's a thoughtful, customizable gift that feels special without any negative cultural associations, as far as I know. Plus, it's something someone can wear and treasure for a long time.

Edited by JodiReachy

On 8/9/2023 at 7:31 AM, Confuscious said:

Thai people are grown up with superstitious beliefs and taboos. Some are still believed to be true, and some are now used to tease friends. Giving a gift is a nice gesture but some items have negative meaning especially to your relationship. Here are 10 presents some Thai people might consider bringing bad luck;

1. Shoes รองเท้า /rawng – táao/

If you buy shoes for your girlfriend or boyfriend, it is believed that it will cause the break up because shoes need to be in pair, a couple who are dating but not living together could be cursed to go different ways.

2. Black clothes เสื้อผ้าสีดำ /sûea-pâa sǐi dam/

This item is frightening. Do not give black clothing because ancient Thai people consider black as the colour of pain and sadness used for mourning. If you give a black cloth to someone, you will go to that person’s funeral.

3. Watch / Clock นาฬิกา /naa-lí-gaa/

It is believed that if your loved one gives you a watch or clock, your relationship might be over like the clock stops ticking.

4. Perfume น้ำหอม /náam-hăwm/

As Thai people like to say if you don’t believe it, don’t disparage it. Many Thai think giving perfume to your partner could make your love lessen like the scent of the perfume that is fade away over time.

5. Photograph of Yourself รูปถ่าย /rûup-tàai/

Another thing that you absolutely don’t want to give to your darling is the photo of yourself because giving a photo for memory when you are apart.

6. Handkerchief ผ้าเช็ดหน้า /pâa-chét-nâa/

Thai believe that handkerchief is used for wiping tears, so someone who receives a handkerchief as a gift will lose their tears. If you don’t want your beloved to cry, avoid giving this item.

7. Sharp objects ของมีคม /kăwng mii kom/

It is believed that giving sharp objects as a gift will bring the receiver danger, bad luck.

8. Comb หวี /wǐi/

Thai people compare relationship to the teeth of a comb, you don’t want to go apart like the comb’s teeth.

9. Brooch เข็มกลัด /kĕm-glàt/

A brooch is a beautiful accessory but Thai believe that giving a brooch is like stabbing that person’s heart, creating pain and argument.

10. Glassware เครื่องแก้ว /krûeang gâew/

It is a common gift. Superstition has it that if the glassware is broken it means the relationship is also destroyed.

Some Thai people give a small amount of money like one Baht or ten Baht to a person who gives the present as if they purchase it, so it doesn’t bring them bad luck.

Gift Giving Tips:

• If you are given a gift, it is considered rude to rip the wrapping paper. Carefully remove the wrapping, fold and set aside.
  • Flowers is appropriate gift. Avoid marigolds or carnations as they are associated with funerals or lotus as it is used for worship Buddha image.

Many male readers ask about my gift ideas for a special someone. Here are some suggestions what ladies like;

• Diamonds are a girl’s best friends! If you look for a special gift, a pair of small diamond earrings or a necklace with a diamond pendant is a lovely way to express your eternal love to your significant other.
  • Good quality beauty products such as Tom Ford lipstick, Dior eyeshadow palette,  Chanel powder blush etc. It is nice to embrace natural beauty but makeup is fun!
  •  A pretty handbag. For women, purses are like friends, you can’t have too many!
  • Roses are always sweet thing. Whether you give the full dozen or just a single stem, roses say “I Love You” like no other flower.
  • Lastly I would like to note that love doesn’t equal expensive gifts, the price tag on the gift you buy doesn’t matter for a recipient. Just show your love by making everyday special – cooking a nice meal for them, giving a compliment how beautiful they look, ask “how are you – really?”, saying magical words “thank you”, “I’m sorry” and forgive their mistakes.

I wish you all the best ,joy ,happiness and love!

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/2015/02/10-gifts-you-shouldnt-give-to-your-loved-one/

What a load of nonsense - my wife's most cherished present is a duty free Rolex I bough at Heathrow - the seller was Thai and I said if she wouldn't post all the docs to our home address I wasn't buying as I was worried about getting stung by Thai customs. She did it and got the sale. Turns out it was a good investment - bought for 5k and the same model now is 8k 5 years later.

9 minutes ago, JodiReachy said:

And the black clothes thing—while it’s often considered stylish elsewhere, in Thailand it’s associated with mourning,

2 decades ago, I went to the 1st funeral in Thailand and as was usual I was dressed in black.

At the funeral, nobody was wearing black clothes and I was told that it was not appropriate as everybody was wearing colored clothes. Except the family members.