Scottish man becomes latest victim of Thailand’s perilous roads

snoop1130

33 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

No gofundme page ......... YET.

He was a very successful man in his chosen career. 

I doubt very much there would be and Go fund me for a man of his stature.

If you had read the full article you might have not made such an inane comment.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked article <<The absence of a helmet exacerbated the severity of his injuries, particularly the severe brain trauma he sustained on impact.>>

Tragic, but what can you say when he wasn’t even wearing a helmet ?? 

When will farangs start wearing helmets? They should have more sense coming from countries with reasonable education standards. "Oh I'm just going to the shops"" Oops, NO you're not! Always wear a lid .

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, circa02 said:

Nightmare, I think many of us with a bike have been guilty of nipping the shops without a helmet especially if you've adopted Thainess and will take the bike 350metres rather than just walk, becoming more conscious of it recently with the amount of attention local accidents are getting on social media.

It helps if you can avoid oncoming traffic. 

• Like 1

Sadly another tourist rents a bike and hits the dangerous Thai roads thinking they know what they are doing. First mistake: Riding without a helmet.  

As a foreigner who lived there 17 years, I never one single time drove a motorbike. I bought a an inexpensive Honda City to tool around in. There are just too many bad drivers and bad roads in Thailand to chance it. He should have a rented a car. 

Edited by spermwhale
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sidjameson said:

The wife constantly urging caution if reported accurately suggests he was reckless in some way.

Not necessarily. Maybe she was just a concerned and protective lady. I've been given similar warnings from a Thai gf who knows that I am not reckless. (I only do wheelies when she's not around).

Why do people still choose to not wear a helmet?  I don't get it and probably never will understand what goes on in their mind.   

Yes even a simple 5 minute trip to 7 eleven.  Always wear a helmet, and not a cheap one. It's your life we are talking about.  R.I.P 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, circa02 said:

Nightmare, I think many of us with a bike have been guilty of nipping the shops without a helmet especially if you've adopted Thainess and will take the bike 350metres rather than just walk, becoming more conscious of it recently with the amount of attention local accidents are getting on social media.

Foolish to do so. Given the amount of loose dirt on uncleaned Thai roads a skid can happen at any time. I always wore my helmet and it saved my life in my accident.

Heads are not designed to survive an impact on concrete at any speed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

less sympathetic towards foreigners who’ve caused themselves harm through not wearing a helmet for they know better, whereas Thai’s have been let down by authorities (road safety education & enforcement).

Let down? Nah they are just stupid if riding busy spots no helmets. 

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

Sadly another tourist rents a bike and hits the dangerous Thai roads thinking they know what they are doing. First mistake: Riding without a helmet.  

As a foreigner who lived there 17 years, I never one single time drove a motorbike. I bought a an inexpensive Honda City to tool around in. There are just too many bad drivers and bad roads in Thailand to chance it. He should have a rented a car. 

The closest I came to death on Thai roads was when I was in the pickup and someone came round a blind corner in my lane. It's a gamble if one survives a trip in LOS whatever the mode of travel.

I rode a m'bike because it's the only way to get around in the notorious traffic jams. However anyone is welcome to sit in a traffic jam watching the people on bikes going to the head of the jam if they wish to do so.

BTW, I always wore a helmet and didn't drive like a plonker.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I rode a m'bike because it's the only way to get around in the notorious traffic jams. However anyone is welcome to sit in a traffic jam watching the people on bikes going to the head of the jam if they wish to do so.

It's perfectly safe and a great time-saver, right up until it isn't.

Edited by Paradise Pete
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Screaming said:

I have been told that I sound like a broken record but here goes: Riding a motorbike in Thailand is a death wish.

Lot of people ride around happily with no issues. People who have very little experience should be very careful.

Tragic but self inflicted - He thinks he is Peter Fonda in Easy Rider but has no incite into driving a powerful motor bike - Tighten regulations about renting and buying a bike over 250cc and maybe fatalities will be reduced - male ego cause of death

• Haha 2