Pheu Thai cruising toward power, but at what price?

webfact

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

It's must be quite depressing for the younger generation to look at the picture above and see a table of twelve sixty plus men. Yes, that's the demographic that again is going to have control of the country.

It's odd because the retirement age for government employees is 60 as far as I know.  It certainly is for my wife in part of the Ministry of Labour.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I was not impressed by PT's performance on economic management, although the party's PR machine promotes it relentlessly. In the first Thaksin government he had Somkid as "economic tsar" and he achieved nothing except spouting hot air in his heavy Chinese accent.  He did the same for the junta government. The Yingluck government's main economic policy with the hugely corrupt rice pledging and they put in Kitirat as finance minister, in which role he achieved nothing nothing apart from the suicide of many farmers who were cheated by the government and not paid for their pledged rice, which meant their families had nothing to eat.

PTP economic track record is all for you to see and some of their policies like UHC, Village Fund and OTOP still adopted by subsequent governments even post coup governments. They did paid back the IMF loans in record time. The people voted them back because of they had a better standard of living under them.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

You appear to be unaware that Pheu Thai's treachery and lying will result in a government led by Prawit, with Prayut and Anutin still involved. Just what the vast majority of Thais voted against.

As a personal opinion, I agree with you that the next government should not involved the last government parties. In this political stalemate due to the highly skewed charter, it is an option that need to be made. If this  mean

a peaceful next 4 years, vast majority of Thais may most likely be pleased. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:29 PM, Hunz Kittisak said:

“it’s the economy, stupid!”

with Thaksin back and implementing sound policies to make Thailand great again….. come next elections PT will again be the political powerhouse 

But they lost the election don’t ya know so don’t have any right to form a government They have proven they are corrupt thieves once again!!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, madmitch said:

Yep. Over 60 is too old for regullar Government employees but the norm for MPs, especially cabinet ministers. Prawit is 77, the speaker is 79 and the rest keep the local hair dye shop in business.

60 is too young. Many 60 year olds still have all their mental faculties. My wife retired from government 2 years ago, but has taken another more senior position (but not srictly as a government employee). It's not like the ork is arduous like in construction. I would think many poeple can work until their are 70-75 or so. 

On 8/11/2023 at 3:04 AM, madmitch said:

It's must be quite depressing for the younger generation to look at the picture above and see a table of twelve sixty plus men. Yes, that's the demographic that again is going to have control of the country.

Well the young people of Thailand can always look to the USA in order to feel better about the state of politics in their own country. 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, madmitch said:

I'm not gonna comment on their age, as I am aware of many governments is the world that have much older ministers and presidents. but I see quite a few in that picture of which I doubt they know which day it is.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, madmitch said:

Yes, that's the demographic that again is going to have control of the country.

Nope, control of the government perhaps but control of the country? Real control hasn't changed for many years and isn't likely to any time soon.

Various governments have come and gone and they are allowed a degree of lattitude in terms of introducing changes to laws, making policy etc. However, if they become too popular or try to make changes/laws that threaten the position of the 'Elite' families - they are history.

8 hours ago, bizboi said:

But they lost the election don’t ya know so don’t have any right to form a government

That's how it works in aThai style putinocracy democracy - did you expect the election winner to form a government? There was never any hope of that happening - except in the minds of the electorate.