“Cannot…you not Thai”

AustinRacing

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Anyone with a winning ticket can claim it at any place that accepts them. Misinformed people are all around Thailand. People here hear things from other misinformed, uneducated or prejudiced people and think they are valid. If someone in a bank says you can't cash the ticket, ask to see their superiors, and have the facts spelled out and shown to them by a google search OR, just go to another bank.

weather right or not..... i find this aggressive approach to problem solving here quite effective. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Passport and Thai drivers license didn’t help. 

So does that bank normally payout on winning lottery tickets  ?   I thought it was only at Government lottery offices that you can collect  ?

I'm confused what your trying to say .....  are you saying they do normally pay lottery but they didn't accept your passport ?   or they do pay Thai's only  ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, bbko said:

Why would Thai banks pay winning lottery tickets? What's in it for them?

I thought it was only the Government Banks (GF goes to the “Pink” bank to cash her winnings) & seem to recall their commission is 2.5% (100b on 4,000 winnings) which gives them a decent margin over the government rate of 0.5% 

Edited by Mike Teavee

16 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Went to the bank to cash the winning lottery ticket. Sorry you cannot claim, only Thai people can. 
Just another pointless rant?

Not all bank employees here are competent. I'd have them talk to the head office to clarify things. Otherwise, as others have suggested, I'd just go the government lottery office.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I won 20k some years ago and I was told to go to the office in Phuket town, I dont think they had ever seen a farang win, you would have though I robbed the crown jewels, You could sense the attitude they hated it having to pay me, 

They probably thought that a rich foreigner would take the money out of Thailand... Some people never think that we spend it right away in the Thai economy.

• Like 1