Rival Motorbike Taxi Groups Clash in Pattaya, Four People Injured

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — An alley in Pattaya turned into a war zone in the small hours of Friday when a group of ride-sharing riders, Bolt, clashed with a group of orange-vested traditional motorbike taxi riders, Win, leaving four Bolt riders injured. One man nearly lost his finger.

Pattaya police were alerted at 2:30 AM on Friday, August 18th, to a physical altercation between two groups of public transport riders at the entrance of Soi 9 on Pattaya Second Road in the Banglamung area of Chonburi, near Central Mall and, ironically, the Pattaya Police Station. Authorities swiftly responded to the scene to break up the disturbance.

Upon arrival, law enforcement only discovered shards of broken glass bottles and bloodstains on the ground. Footage of nearby security cameras showed a group of young men fleeing for safety while being chased by another group armed with knives and baseball bats.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/18/rival-motorbike-taxi-groups-clash-in-pattaya-four-people-injured/

-- THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-08-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Footage of nearby security cameras showed a group of young men fleeing for safety while being chased by another group armed with knives and baseball bats.

Family friendly world renowned Pattaya resort scores a home goal again.

Oh the image.

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Family friendly world renowned Pattaya resort scores a home goal again.

Oh the image.

We were having a discussion about the security at a Buakhao bar beating up on 2 big fat troublesome drunks not long ago..... one person posting was denying Thais fought in packs......this incident may open a few eyes... don't get in it with the locals!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aren't all Wins also registered with Bolt? Order a Bolt motorbike and you get a guy in an orange jacket. And a 100m radius? That's enormous. They wouldn't be able to operate anywhere. And how do you know if the wins hanging around in groups are actually part of a designated licensed taxi stand?

As far as I know the Win-riders pay a lot of money to work at those locations.

Wins from other locations know the rules. Don't pick up a passenger from an area from another Win group location!

The Bolt riders ignore the territory rules - and there are consequences.

I don't like it. But as far as I know all those Win payments are informal to the local "influential people". The system is broken when one group has to pay for local access and another group doesn't pay.

It would be wonderful if the authorities would sort this out.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know the Win-riders pay a lot of money to work at those locations.

Wins from other locations know the rules. Don't pick up a passenger from an area from another Win group location!

The Bolt riders ignore the territory rules - and there are consequences.

I don't like it. But as far as I know all those Win payments are informal to the local "influential people". The system is broken when one group has to pay for local access and another group doesn't pay.

It would be wonderful if the authorities would sort this out.

Corruption at every possible level in this $hit****, even down to simple motorcycle taxis. What a wonderful culture.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But as far as I know all those Win payments are informal to the local "influential people". The system is broken when one group has to pay for local access and another group doesn't pay.

All over the world "regular" taxis are licensed and pay for licences to operate when the likes of Uber, Bolt , Grab etc do not need or have said licenses. ????

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do many folks out there actually use Bolt to order a M/C taxi? 

Personally I don't as there are groups of the WIN guys seemingly everywhere. 

My TGF does. It's a set price which is usually cheaper and you don't have to ask the price or negotiate if they give you a crazy high price. Plus they come right to wherever you are at.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

All over the world "regular" taxis are licensed and pay for licences to operate when the likes of Uber, Bolt , Grab etc do not need or have said licenses. ????

Not totally true... there are more and more regulations being put in place every day all over the world for Uber, Lyft, Bolt, Grab, etc.  If the cab companies cannot or will not compete... that is up to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If the cab companies cannot or will not compete... that is up to them.

Are we saying that Grab, Bolt etc. are cheaper than regular taxis or that the media company should get the money not the local driver.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

security cameras showed a group of young men fleeing for safety while being chased by another group armed with knives and baseball bats.

This would have been fun to watch…pull up a lawn chair, popcorn and enjoy the show ????

18 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

My TGF does. It's a set price which is usually cheaper and you don't have to ask the price or negotiate if they give you a crazy high price. Plus they come right to wherever you are at.

My neighbour did once... he was in from out of town and I downloaded the Bolt App onto his phone. He promptly made a mess of the job by ordering a m/c instead of a car.....  I am capable of a good whistle with fingers in mouth, so getting the WIN drivers attention is easy... plus I know if I brought a Bolt bike near to them it might stir trouble.