How much does health insurance cost in Thailand now?

Social Media

I'd like to have full medical insurance but, despite being fitter than most in my age bracket, being over 80 such insurance is virtually impossible to obtain. 

I do, however, have travel insurance and found, when checking around, that most companies charge much higher rates when including travel to the USA, Canada, Australia and most surprisingly, Thailand.

Edited by My Paradice Lost
My bad spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:24 PM, Sigmund said:

Try another Asian nation as Thailand is doomed for the quality retirees who are leaving and spending their money elsewhere.

You really think that insurers are more likely to issue health insurance for the over-80s in a different country?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, My Paradice Lost said:

I do, however, have travel insurance and found, when checking around, that most companies charge much higher rates when including travel to the USA, Canada, Australia and most surprisingly, Thailand.

Possibly due to the cost of treatment in those countries and or the likelihood of having an accident?

Risks and costs push up the premium

On 8/30/2023 at 9:31 PM, Makoshark said:

I'm 73 and I was just refused.  After 75 you are un-insurable by anyone in Thailand.  

I'm returning back to the USA in September.  Medicare is F R E E 

You can always pay out-of-pocket if you want to go bankrupt

I have mentioned this before and others say that expat policies that cover in Thailand, but are not Thai policies, max out at about $500 a month and you can get insured at any age.

Its one of the factors on whether I should seriously consider Mexico or not.

Which is it, inquiring minds want to know?

Edited by JimTripper

I'm noticing a lack of concrete info here. 

How hard would it be to post "I pay XXX baht for YYY,YYY coverage from ZZZZ company, and I'm AA years old?

Unless everyone tuned in is "self insured"...

I recently spoke to 2 guys I used to work with, both long term residents with Thai wives for decades.  They're the kind of guys who would shop around.   Both in their '70s with significant pre-existing conditions.    Each told me they're paying about $1,000 USD for their coverage.  I didn't press them on their level of coverage.

“One of the cheapest countries to get insured” I wonder why?  Insurance (I mean all kinds anywhere in the world is like gambling).  One never knows until a claim is filed. All insurance policies have two major sections:  1) Perils, what is covered 2) Exclusions, what is not covered.  Guess what section is bigger?  That’s right, part 2.  If a Thai Health Insurance company denies a claim does any think you can appeal or even file a civil lawsuit?  

I have had Thai Health Insurance for 7 consecutive years and have never filed a claim.  The last four years the policy that i have had was to comply with the Non OA Visa requirements.  

Just bought a policy from Pacific Cross, Baht 51,000 per year, 3 million Baht cover, inpatient only, 63 year old male, retired.

Inpatient only, because you can easily get accident outpatient insurance from your bank for a few hundred baht per year (tied to the debit/credit card you wish to have).  It works, used it numerous times, didn't have to pay a dime at the hospital(s).

After a LOT of research, decided Pacific Cross is the cheapest and probably the most reliable, and the Premier Plus policy is necessary, because no limit per incident, up to 3 million.  They have cheaper policies, but then there are very low limits "per incidence" of hospitalization.

43 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've been insured with them for nearly 3 years and found them very efficient and easy to deal with.  And obviously competitively priced.

Yes, WR Life seems to be the absolute cheapest available, but have you ever used them for a claim?

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

I had cancer last year, and WRLife was a fiasco for me right from the beginning.....

They were demanding a lot of info from my very well known hospital, before paying even one baht, and I had to sweet talk the head accounting person in my hospital so I could start treatment right away. I already had Stage 4 cancer and immediate treatment was critical. And I am cancer free today!

Before buying, I did a fair amount of research and discovered that even if I had cancer and a heart attack in the same year, $50,000 would cover the expenses. So I bought their $80,000 policy......

What I did not do carefully is sit with my calculator and go over the fine print to see how the numbers really worked out with their various limits, exclusions, and caveats

I won't go into a long story now, but just say that my overall treatment costs were about 25k and insurance only covered about 12k. 

Thanks for the information.  Glad you're cancer free today!  Best of luck to you.

• Thanks 1