Teenager dies in high-speed motorbike crash on Chonburi’s new tourist bridge

webfact

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

There has been numerous accidents, most because they drive at high speed and fail to negotiate the speed ''bumps''. said rescue personnel.  

Bridge is used often for drag racing at night. There is a reason why it's so high.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And yet! I must admit at first glance I thought it was a crossing, but no matter what they put in place to slow traffic, like a chicane it won't stop stupid driving here.

I am Thai and I want to die....:angry:

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

There has been numerous accidents, most because they drive at high speed and fail to negotiate the speed ''bumps''. said rescue personnel.  

Maybe they don't realise that they speed bumps are there to prevent people from speeding. You know, having common sense.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Image courtesy of Khao Sod Online

An 18 years old young man tragically lost his life in a motorbike accident on the new Chonburi Bridge, a popular tourist spot in Chonburi province.

The accident occurred at 11.30pm yesterday, when his motorbike hit a speed bump, causing him to lose control and crash. The young man, identified as Theerawat, was visiting the bridge for the first time with a friend, unfamiliar with the route.

Theerawat’s friend, who had accompanied him on the ill-fated trip, narrated the incident. They had travelled from Bang Saen to visit the new bridge for the first time. While his friend was enjoying the scenic view at a leisurely pace, Theerawat was speeding. Upon overtaking his friend, Theerawat encountered a speed bump, causing his motorbike to swerve and crash, resulting in fatal injuries.

Rescue workers from the Tri Khun Tham Foundation, who were first on the scene, discovered Theerawat lying lifeless next to his grey Vespa motorbike, 20 metres away from the speed bump.

by Nattapong Westwood

Top Image courtesy of Khao Sod Online

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/teenager-dies-in-high-speed-motorbike-crash-on-chonburis-new-tourist-bridge

-- Thaiger 2023-08-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Speed bumps are a death trap for bikes, wherever they are. Insane road constructions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Let me guess, no helmet.  Scooter 20m away, that a hell of a slide, unless it rolled after he fell off.

R I P 

Not really when you think he would have hit the speed bump and gone airborne, hit the ground then slid or bounced. Inappropriately dressed of course but what a stupid place to put a speed bump on a long straight or after a blind bend shown in some photos. In those conditions even doing 50 could put you on the ground.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Or people could actually drive responsibly, and take responsibility for themselves.

Was in the 120km lane on Bang Na Trad rd, big bike passed me on LHS lane speed limit 100km, my guess Bike speed 140, km. and weaving between traffic. Motor bikes are not allowed on this road section but the law not enforced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

You'b be surprised at today's Vespa's abilities to go fast, even so, those speed bumps are there to make people to slow down, not to go over them at a high speed and these are the results.

(also, i own a 1964 Vespa GS back home in Oz, so i should know a bit about Vespas)

Always wanted a Lambretta Jet 200 but never owned one! Both the old and new Vespa's look great IMHO. In your opinion, could the smaller wheel size of 'traditional' scooters have been a contributory factor? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Theerawat’s friend, who had accompanied him on the ill-fated trip, narrated the incident. They had travelled from Bang Saen to visit the new bridge for the first time. While his friend was enjoying the scenic view at a leisurely pace, Theerawat was speeding. Upon overtaking his friend, Theerawat encountered a speed bump, causing his motorbike to swerve and crash, resulting in fatal injuries.

Field test seems positive.

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:
5 hours ago, ezzra said:

You'b be surprised at today's Vespa's abilities to go fast, even so, those speed bumps are there to make people to slow down, not to go over them at a high speed and these are the results.

(also, i own a 1964 Vespa GS back home in Oz, so i should know a bit about Vespas)

Always wanted a Lambretta Jet 200 but never owned one! Both the old and new Vespa's look great IMHO. In your opinion, could the smaller wheel size of 'traditional' scooters have been a contributory factor? 

No... going too fast was.... 

My Vespa (300cc) will do 140kmh... although offical figures state 125kmh as the top speed, I'm not so sure why offical figures under-state the top speed.

I can easily imagine the 155cc vespa doing 120kmh...

That said... The smaller wheel size is slightly less stable than the wheel size on a real motorcycle... but, I suspect hitting the speed-bump at speed without any preparation or bracing etc would have cause the fall regardless. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Not really when you think he would have hit the speed bump and gone airborne, hit the ground then slid or bounced. Inappropriately dressed of course but what a stupid place to put a speed bump on a long straight or after a blind bend shown in some photos. In those conditions even doing 50 could put you on the ground.

Why a stupid place?

On a long straight stretch with a posted limit of 50 kmh seems the right spot to, you know, keep the speed down.

Edited by NoDisplayName

5 hours ago, bbko said:

The bridge in question?

It looked to me it was somewhere on that road but not sure where. It was built in 2 sections and the older runs from near the DLT to the city centre and that has barriers constructed from concrete, 3 bar. The newer section runs from the city centre to near the cancer hospital and the barriers are single bar steel.

The accident photo shows the newer type of barrier and there is also a stretch of that at the DLT end. It also appears that they are installing central lighting so the accident may have happened in roadworks that look could be the old end.

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

Bridge is used often for drag racing at night. There is a reason why it's so high.

If the accident happened on the offshore road, that was built on the same level as central Chonburi. The offshore sections come out from the city in each direction. 

offshore road.jpg

The speed bump/hump, possible pedestrian crossing may be at one of the spots along the road set aside for tourist, or at the restaurant along that road.  

Going 50 kph, pretty hard to miss, and may have even been posted lower approaching.

Unless an unmarked hole, not sure how people can blame the road.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg
Image courtesy of Khao Sod Online

An 18 years old young man tragically lost his life in a motorbike accident on the new Chonburi Bridge, a popular tourist spot in Chonburi province.

The accident occurred at 11.30pm yesterday, when his motorbike hit a speed bump, causing him to lose control and crash. The young man, identified as Theerawat, was visiting the bridge for the first time with a friend, unfamiliar with the route.

Rescue workers from the Tri Khun Tham Foundation, who were first on the scene, discovered Theerawat lying lifeless next to his grey Vespa motorbike, 20 metres away from the speed bump.

by Nattapong Westwood

Top Image courtesy of Khao Sod Online

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/teenager-dies-in-high-speed-motorbike-crash-on-chonburis-new-tourist-bridge

-- Thaiger 2023-08-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

That’s actually a SPEEDHUMP.   Different from a speed bump. Much larger about 6 ft wide.  I have one in front of my house. Many not paying attention driving moving trucks and pulling trailers hit it at speed.  I call mine a Thunderhump, because of the immense crash of flying commercial trucks landing on the other side. No shortage of warnings mine is not even painted.