Phuket Landlord Shocked At Damage Caused By Foreign Tenant

webfact

2 hours ago, NemoH said:

Case of uneducated poor quality tenant. The antithesis of the uneducated Landlords who confiscate deposit thinking it is their own to keep. ???????? either way it is a nightmare for the victimised party… but at least the landlord has the deposit in this case which may defray the damage cost. 

i don't think a couple months deposit if landlord even has that will begin to cover all the damage this idiot did...there are both bad landlords and bad tenants....and even if someone had a bad landlord in the past that kept their deposit it does not mean that a tenant has a right to take it out on a new landlord.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Probably good advice BUT winning a legal action and actually collecting the $$ can be two very different things...people have a way of disappearing, moving, not having any $$, delcaring bankruptcy and eventually it cost more to pursue in time and legal fees than it is worth so they get away with it and the landlord is still stuck. 

But as said if u at least inspect the property a few times u might get lucky and see what is coming and get rid of the idiot before he rips the entire place apart and disappears into the night.  There are laws as to how LARGE a deposit can legally be collected so good luck with that one.

buy damage and rent payment insurance figure it in the lease, get a 90 day deposit and cleaning fee. up front.

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What point was there to do this???

Gone to a lot of trouble to remove the cupboards??  Why

He probably turned it into a grow room or meth lab, but cleaned up rather nicely.  It was very polite of him not to leave a bunch of toxic chemicals behind ????

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

He probably turned it into a grow room or meth lab,

You didn't read where the roof is collapsing from water damage in the unit above?  I don't give a <deleted> how much weed he grows or how much Yaa Baa he does, it ain't gonna cause that. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Exactly... as stated he was abandoning the lease early and was pissed because he would be forfeiting his deposit... he thought the deposit was for physical damage so he was going to make sure that there was some... doesn't have a clue about what "damages" means in a lease.

yes ,  and this is the way I would think it happened.    He lost his deposit so he destroyed what he could.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

690,000 baht damage, really ?

Looking at the photos, the custom cabinetry missing, the wood doors swapped out for cheap plastic, and all the other damage, I'd be surprised if $20,000 USD would cover it.

Was reading the landlord says the approx  cost of damages 690.000 baht 

Plus the tenant  was flying out of the country  25th August  

I think the landlord can say goodbye to getting any money back

Can't see the police stopping the guy leaving the country ???? 

Would be interesting to find out the end result ???? 

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I feels sad for the landlady.

Most landladies are super nice and helpful.

Just because I might have a ringer, makes no difference in my feeling of real empathy for this woman.

What woman are you talking about?

A YOUNG THAI man who had rented his house .....

And what does 'I might have a ringer' mean? Very strange post.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Would it be that much of an issue if the tenant was Thai?

You have obviously missed the several reports of the state that some Thais - always women, interestingly - have left their rented rooms in, full of filth, every centimeter covered in rubbish and rotting food.. At least this person left the room clean, I suppose.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Leaking roof is hardly a tenants issue.

maybe the tenant treated the property the same as the owner

But as a tenant, you have a duty to inform the landlord about the leaking roof. Otherwise, the landlord can sue you for damages.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What woman are you talking about?

A YOUNG THAI man who had rented his house .....

And what does 'I might have a ringer' mean? Very strange post.

Ringer meaning imposter. As in my landlady must be an imposter. 

Also I guess I innocently mistook the person with long hair to be a woman. 

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What point was there to do this???

Gone to a lot of trouble to remove the cupboards??  Why

Blue metal shelves???? The Ukrainian was using it for business storage purposes. 

Which if RTP are clever means he was working without a permit.

11 minutes ago, snowgard said:

But as a tenant, you have a duty to inform the landlord about the leaking roof. Otherwise, the landlord can sue you for damages.

Not if you remove the fitted furniture, flog it and leave the country first.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You didn't read where the roof is collapsing from water damage in the unit above?  I don't give a <deleted> how much weed he grows or how much Yaa Baa he does, it ain't gonna cause that. ????

A tenant is required to inform the landlord of any repairs required that is causing damage to the property .

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That damage could have been caused by the landlord to keep the deposit money or to punish the tenant.

Probably not, but you never really know what’s going on behind the scenes in these scenarios. It can get pretty dicey renting places out with all kinds of problems and situations. 

So no entry ban. Judge needs to decide.

Yesterday him still was in the country. If the landlord opened a criminal case about stoling furniture and damaging property against the tenant at the policestation, the tenant will be arrested at the airport.

But it can be that the police told the landlord itäs a private matter which is false.

Also a landlord can report it direct to the immigration police too and they give a notice in the computer, ????
The plane will fly without the tenant.

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1