Fire in Luxury Condo Unit in Pattaya, Residents Flee for Their Lives

webfact

2 hours ago, smedly said:

maybe went out with a wash left unattended, not a good idea, i don't even leave chargers unattended.......very dangerous 

You missed this part....
the room's owner, received news of the fire remotely and confirmed no appliances were left plugged in,

• Thumbs Up 1

Luxury in Thailand is anything over 28 square meters room size according to the Thais. In my "luxury" condo building, they turn off the lights in the stairwells at night and shut down one of the elevators to save money. I have complained many times that this is a fire danger but the Thais seem not to care. Life is cheap in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surprised people were even able to escape using the fire stairs. 

Isn't it mandatory that owners block and lock those exits to prevent people from sneaking out ? (Yes I'm being sarcastic. Because it seems in almost all of the major nightclub/hotel/condo disasters in the last 30 years, one major issue was that emergency exits were blocked or even chained and locked.)

In some cases, the fire stairs and areas outside of the emergency exits were used to store old furnishings/appliances (because it was cheaper to just stash them in an unused space than to pay to have them hauled away).

This must be a luxury residence if people were able to get out.

Funny how "Another resident, the room's owner, received news of the fire remotely and confirmed no appliances were left plugged in).

Almost as though they know exactly where the fire started and who owned that condo and how to contact him.

But this is Thailand and if you've seen what passes for electrical work in some places, you'd want to make sure you knew exactly where the exits are (and if they are clear) and maybe invest in a fire extinguisher or two as well.

(I was having an issue with the power in my house once. Called an "electrician". He stood - barefoot - on a metal ladder and started pulling wires off the main feed, careful to twist them out of the way a bit. (I was sure he was going to electrocute himself so I entered the emergency number on my phone and was ready to make the call in an instant if things went wrong.)

He went to remove one circuit breaker and it literally fell into pieces as he pulled it out. A cheap (30 baht) made in China piece of crap. Ended up changing all of them, just to be safe, with newer (more expensive) ones. (Probably the same quality, just more expensive.)

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

As the community recovers, this incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of fire safety measures and preparedness in residential buildings.

I'm sure they mean wiring is per building codes. Building codes? 5555 555. 

• Like 1

Nothing to do with Pattaya or a condo. Just before the COVID I rented a nice villa in a farang run developpment, in direction of the Black Mountain area Hua Hin.

The place had those recessed  bulbs in the ceiling. Often when I would turn ON the lights one bulb would  go dead in different rooms. Told the owner of the developpment who gave the usual "yeah sure" and even was cheeky enough to openly say they had badly built it so that's it.

Spoke with some other owners who had similar issues and said that the farang developpers of the place just did not give a hoot. Once the sale was concluded.  Many regular residents often had their electric apparatus suddenly go dead due to the poor electrical worksmanship and the developpers just did nothing to amend. The homes were generally not more then a few years old. 

A real hazard and I would not feel safe even to rent such a place in Hua HIn despite how nice it looks on the outside.

Edited by Sigmund
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Funny how "Another resident, the room's owner, received news of the fire remotely and confirmed no appliances were left plugged in).

Almost as though they know exactly where the fire started and who owned that condo and how to contact him.

Why shouldn't they be able to work that out, how is that so difficult when they knew what floor it started on?   

• Thumbs Up 1

Thailand has many safety problems mainly death trap roads and condos. Before Covid I rented in a relatively new condo (5 yrs max). The pools were not maintained, but one day after an hours sunbathing early morning with my neighbor , the pool lift wasn’t working. So we went to the fire escape, Ok one flight down, ( 7 th floor) and then…locked doors !! Started to get a bit worried so called the condo office where luckily I spoke to one of the girls I know. Half an hour later the doors were unlocked by the security man. Unbelievable, we made it known how dangerous this was, another office girl from the office butted in and shouted at us . Luckily the two of us were at the end of our contract so moved out. 

• Sad 1