'Big Joke' Unveils Vision for new Police Commander position

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Suchart emphasized that ensuring public safety remained paramount.

No mention of illegal homemade guns, cops n military selling them, Illegal guns should be the paramount priority on the list, with an immediate jail term, say one year, no ifs or buts selling, owning, or waving them around in public, even if registered.  Scams and loan sharks are mostly due to peoples own stupidity IMO. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He gets the attention as he is the only policeman in Thailand who actually does anything. No wonder people notice him.

Does he do anything other than yak, yak, yak? Does anyone end up locked up? Ferrari Joe was such an extreme example, it barely counts. Anyone else? 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Ah, I was waiting for your hate of Surachat to pop up ! Makes me wonder what he’s done so wrong, except that you don’t like him being what you call a «  poster boy » IMO he’s straight enough, does his job and there hasn’t been a single better police man in Thailand so far . Enough for me, if most of Thailands police force had his integrity, then it would be a much safer place.

He is the top cop in the country, and you think he is straight? That is quite a leap of faith. He is a good actor. I will give him credit for that. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was hoping if there were any positives to take away from this election fiasco, it would be the disappearance of big joke, it would be his final bow, and his disappearance into oblivion.

But I guess some things are too good to be true, and I guess some people just never go away. The limelight and his slice of fame simply means too much to him. 

Well this new position is not going to be a boots on the ground job is it?

He should be confined to the office and perhaps make the odd statement on TV

I'd imagine that the new government would prefer a police chief who doesn't try to steal the spotlight from them. Someone who follows orders, quietly.

Big Joke is an attention seeker if there ever was one. The new minister of the interior surely wants all the attention to himself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was hoping if there were any positives to take away from this election fiasco, it would be the disappearance of big joke, it would be his final bow, and his disappearance into oblivion.

But I guess some things are too good to be true, and I guess some people just never go away. The limelight and his slice of fame simply means too much to him. 

I think he is the pick of the bunch. 

16 hours ago, retarius said:

How about investigating crimes, being fair, not taking bribes, not sitting all day in the station drinking tea or whatever? How about policing the roads properly in cars and looking for speeding, dangerous driving, DUI, and moving violations? How about stopping police from dealing drugs and forcing users to sell for them? How about sticking corrupt cops in jail?

They will  all  resign 

He is nothing special and just another megalomaniac obsessed by having the press around for everything right down to the ' opening of an envelope ' 

It wasn't that long since they threw him out of the Police and his car was shot up in Bangkok.

Also, with regards to him constantly being referred to as a Police colonel, that does not reflect in the uniform he is wearing which is that of a Lieutenant General.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thai_military_ranks

He also seems a bit young to be getting the top job as they usually give that to guys who have 1 or 2 years left before retirement, unless he is planning on the top police job and then shifting to politics.

Then if that's the case we are just moving from a military junta to a Police junta.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

The whole lot of the Thai military and Police are regarded with contempt and disdain by the outside Western world with regards to their role in policing and security.

They just are not to be taken seriously.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The whole lot of the Thai military and Police are regarded with contempt and disdain by the outside Western world with regards to their role in policing and security.

Don't think the outside western world gives a toss, other than a few farangs who don't live in or really know anything about Thailand. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, retarius said:

How about investigating crimes, being fair, not taking bribes, not sitting all day in the station drinking tea or whatever? How about policing the roads properly in cars and looking for speeding, dangerous driving, DUI, and moving violations? How about stopping police from dealing drugs and forcing users to sell for them? How about sticking corrupt cops in jail?

Police are there to protect the public, from the criminals that invade their space 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Don't think the outside western world gives a toss, other than a few farangs who don't live in or really know anything about Thailand. 

Do not forget the USA police who beat people to death, shoot people for blinking, ect, Thailand police are tame compared to them,and you could mention other countries whose police are far worse 

• Love It 2

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He gets the attention as he is the only policeman in Thailand who actually does anything. No wonder people notice him.

To communicate a lot with the mass media for the work of his subordinates.

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

My cousin's husband was a copper in the UK ( just retired now).

Last time I was visiting I went for a drink with him and a few of his mates. I was telling them what the RTP get up to, they were in hysterics!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

He also seems a bit young to be getting the top job as they usually give that to guys who have 1 or 2 years left before retirement, unless he is planning on the top police job and then shifting to politics.

That would be the best reason to promote him. One of the main reasons the police have such a lousy image is that Buggins gets the top job and has only 1 or 2 years at most to do anything positive. That's not enough time to get any results and simply results in stagnation.

• Love It 1

In the end this is a show since decision has already been given to him. Who are the other 3 candidates and why just him getting the photo op? 

If not, is he going to take it well being slighted after this exposure he might be Big Joke meaning don't play jokes on him..

Big Joke when you turn your paper in don't forget on the bottom the brown envelope with a note " more to come "

Wai slowly take step back and look up give that Big Joke Smile.????

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He is the top cop in the country, and you think he is straight? That is quite a leap of faith. He is a good actor. I will give him credit for that. 

Would we replace him with someone less enthusiastic, who is likely to be more crooked? If he puts a good few bad 'uns away, he is doing good.....  he doesn't issue pardons!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2023 at 1:35 PM, scorecard said:

The story says 'Colonel' Sura.....

He's been refered to as 'General' Sura.... many times before. 

There's several Police Generals waiting for their turn in the top seat before they retire. I rather doubt they would promote a Colonel ahead of one of the generals. 

But TIT.

Looking at the OP photo he is wearing the rank of a Lieutenant General.

However you are certainly right that there are several others, with more time served  (and therefore perhaps more contacts) also eying the job.

He is obviously not that well thought of by his peers, if very publicly machine gunning his car when it was parked outside a knocking shop a few years ago is anything to go by!

Edited by herfiehandbag

24 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Looking at the OP photo he is wearing the rank of a Lieutenant General.

However you are certainly right that there are several others, with more time served  (and therefore perhaps more contacts) also eying the job.

He is obviously not that well thought of by his peers, if very publicly machine gunning his car when it was parked outside a knocking shop a few years ago is anything to go by!

Is there any proof that his car was machine gunned by his peers?

Read between the lines and promos! 

He isn't the Top cop,  if he was wouldn't be flying around taking on cases that are generating photo ops.  Photo ops is defined as marketing promoting " The Face " which seem to be the agreement that was made in his return.  To think he has made constructive policies that are permanent and effective not in my book.  Just a show as something being done just a Big Joke, part of the art of war philosophy.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Is there any proof that his car was machine gunned by his peers?

Well I understand the perpetrators were never identified let alone brought to justice.

Were he as well loved as some would have us believe then I suspect that considerably more effort would have been expended.

Didn't he then take a sabbatical from being a top copper and beetle off to India for a while to do some monking/keep out of the way?

But no proof - but then such a thing as proof is rarely found in the swirling maelstrom of Thai power struggles!

Edited by herfiehandbag

38 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Well I understand the perpetrators were never identified let alone brought to justice.

Were he as well loved as some would have us believe then I suspect that considerably more effort would have been expended.

Didn't he then take a sabbatical from being a top copper and beetle off to India for a while to do some monking/keep out of the way?

But no proof - but then such a thing as proof is rarely found in the swirling maelstrom of Thai power struggles!

"Were he as well loved as some would have us believe then I suspect that considerably more effort would have been expended."

Could also be a number of interpretations of that.

Maybe he was loved by many sectors of the public but disliked because he exposed corruption / collusion etc., and was therefore a target for 'removal'.  

And/or those that didn't like him kept very quiet because they were afraid of being exposed...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Were he as well loved as some would have us believe then I suspect that considerably more effort would have been expended."

Could also be a number of interpretations of that.

Maybe he was loved by many sectors of the public but disliked because he exposed corruption / collusion etc., and was therefore a target for 'removal'.  

And/or those that didn't like him kept very quiet because they were afraid of being exposed...

That is possible.

Probably not a big plus for the selection board for the top job.