How do Thais stay slim?

FruitPudding

9 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Look at Thai meals, usually very small portions. Also no puddings, no cakes, no sweets and (until recently) no fast food.

hmm.. I eat Thai potions.. possibly 2 times a day.. Compared to her 5 plus, a portion every 2 hours or so all through the day.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

i would love some of what the op is smoking. the average weight of a thai female is now a staggering 63 kilo.

slim indeed. 

soon to be 73 in a few years. then  83

then, well, you get the picture.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

They spoon sugar onto and into everything.. Sure its not 'dessert' but 2 heaped tablespoons on top of the phad see eow, balanced out with vinegar and fish sauce, is still 'in' the dish.. 

That's a generalisation as none of the Thai girls I fed did that.

If they stay slim ( lots don't ) it's because they ain't gluttons and they are more active than western equivalent.

7 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I think it depends where you are in Thailand.

In the tourist areas there are a lot of slim, healthy looking people.

Where I live in rural Kanchanaburi, there is a very large percentage of the under 40 group who are obese, or even morbidly obese.

Young children of obese parents are invariably overweight as well.

IMO the issue is cheap fatty & fried foods, and sweet 'milky' drinks and soft drinks.

Problem for the young generation is snacking after school, when they head to 7 11 or the food cart for unhealthy food.

Their mothers probably didn't have the money to do so or had to work after school.

Lots also ride m'bikes to school instead of walking.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's a generalisation as none of the Thai girls I fed did that.

If they stay slim ( lots don't ) it's because they ain't gluttons and they are more active than western equivalent.

I think he meant back in the kitchen. They add sugar to offset the salty fish sauce

21 minutes ago, stoner said:

i would love some of what the op is smoking. the average weight of a thai female is now a staggering 63 kilo.

slim indeed. 

Come on!

On my way to work this morning, I lost count of how many women I saw with 28 inch waists (and a sugary drink in hand) and I didn't see very many men with big guts either. A lot of slender chaps my age.

Compare it to the West.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

The motor bike did its part. Unless they are at the mall, they do not do much walking anymore.

just the other day I was out walking. I did about 20km in an afternoon.

Went for a massage after it and the woman asked why am I so sweaty? I said I have been out walking for the last 4 hours. She said 'Thai people dont like to walk'.

So yeah, it would seem that walking is something thais do not partake in with any degree of vigor.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1