Landlord has code to open door

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

So i have 2 people saying i have to grim and take it, and that Landlord basically has a code to get into your appartment. 

One guy says i should EASILY get it changed.

Hmmmmm 

You think to much!

Of course landlord have access to the apartment in case something happens. Should be clear in contract what landlord can do or not! Agreed Inspection every x months and allowed to showcase apartment if selling by agreement, so have no right to lock themselves in without any notice whenever they want. 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You think to much!

Of course landlord have access to the apartment in case something happens. Should be clear in contract what landlord can do or not! Agreed Inspection every x months and allowed to showcase apartment if selling by agreement, so have no right to lock themselves in without any notice whenever they want. 

Again.  This is your friend!  :wink:

???????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
th-695184306.jpeg.98ccc66f2d365bfa7e8298278faf8e92.jpeg

Landlord having code to door is the same as your landlord holding a spare set of keys. This is normally documented in your rental contract, with a clause stipulating the Landlord has to give you notice before entering the property during the contract term.

The electronic keycode door locks in my opinion are a gimmick, as to quote Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window". Try throwing the door when it won't let you in!

I've had issues with corroded batteries (seaside condo) which rendered the door lock inoperable, consequently the landlord who was 350km away had to bike her override key over to me. Also with hotel systems that use a hidden WiFi to manage the date/time access, I've been locked out on various occasions due to WiFi issues.

To reset the code, normally there are grub screws or Allen / Trox screws on the unit within the property. Depending on model, either disconnect the batteries or remove the coin sized battery and reconnect. Default keycodes are the ubiquitous 123456 / 000000.

A few models allow for multiple keycodes or proximity cards, i.e. a unique code/card per person, which is  rather pointless if there isn't a management interface to allow you to review access.

Personal preferance is avoid them if you can.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A tenant who wants to change the code\locks is a bit suspect.

The agreement can say if the landlord wants to access the property so many days notice needs to be given

Yeah because why should a tennant worry about a dodgy landlord just walking in on them, or someone having their code to let themselves in the property. 

How dare a tennant worry about basic safety. 

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Yeah because why should a tennant worry about a dodgy landlord just walking in on them, or someone having their code to let themselves in the property. 

As you should know Landlord and agents usually have spare keys, you get paranoid about that also?

I have a complete set of keys to my property which is for rent. Upon moving a new tenant in, I put all those keys into an envelope and let the tenant sign on the back. So, if I ever break that envelope, the tenant knows. 

I had to do this as a tenant once accused everybody of stealing; luckily I could prove being out of town and in the end he admitted having made a mistake. Ever since = envelope time; never ever had an issue again. 

With electronic access systems (fingerprints, proximity card readers etc.) I would have it changed; the tenant must be informed if the landlord wants access to a rented property after the tenant has rendered the termination of the rental agreement to potential future tenants. Any other access outside this frame would present trespassing. 

• Confused 1

Code or key. Same same.

But… even if it’s wrong for the landlord to have it you will most likely have 0% chance of changing the situation (unless you resort to self-help which would annoy your landlord - both of which are not advisable).

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

I have a complete set of keys to my property which is for rent. Upon moving a new tenant in, I put all those keys into an envelope and let the tenant sign on the back. So, if I ever break that envelope, the tenant knows. 

I had to do this as a tenant once accused everybody of stealing; luckily I could prove being out of town and in the end he admitted having made a mistake. Ever since = envelope time; never ever had an issue again. 

With electronic access systems (fingerprints, proximity card readers etc.) I would have it changed; the tenant must be informed if the landlord wants access to a rented property after the tenant has rendered the termination of the rental agreement to potential future tenants. Any other access outside this frame would present trespassing. 

But how would anyone knows if you have another set of keys outside the envelope? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 2:37 AM, steven100 said:

OP .....    as mentioned by others,  it's no different from the owner/landlord having a key,  usually a master key that can open every room. 

It's common practice .....    what if there's an electrical fault in your room and a fire breaks out and your not home,   he needs access,  or a water pipe bursts ...  he needs access.

It's no big deal,  just hide valuables or lock them in a bag,  also put a camera on the door if your that concerned.

For me, not a problem if the landlords has the code. A bigger problem  if he does not change the code when the tenant changes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

But how would anyone knows if you have another set of keys outside the envelope? 

Thank you. I thought his envelope system was quite flawed too. He can have 3 extra sets and give them to the crack head thief across the hall and he thinks he's " innocent" because of the master envelope farce.  

16 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

A landlord or property manager should and almost always has a key and/or access to HIS/HER property.  You are renting. This is common worldwide. Also dodgy tenants are more common than dodgy landlords. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:32 AM, scorecard said:

An agent for my house in Pattaya gave me a new key.

She said the tenant wanted the main door lock changed because she was concerned that several previous tenants still had old keys to open the door. Therefore she wanted the lock changed. Fair enough.

The agent used a known locksmith to replace the lock then the agent gave me a key to the new lock.

Given past issues and problems I've experienced as a landlord* I want to always have a key so that I can, if needed, do an inspection of my property. Unless there is serious cause for concern I would always advise the tenant that I was coming (date/time) to do an inspection. 

• * I have no hesitation to comment; there's good and bad tenants and there's good and bad landlords.

If I had serious concerns and the tenant was unresonsive I would go to the property with the agent and let myself in.

Had a case like that over 10 years ago. The tenant stopped paying rent claiming they can't go out due to the massive flooding in BKK. After a couple of months that the agent couldn't get the money for me we set an appointment with the tenant at the agent's office. He never showed up, so after over an hour of waiting the agent and I went up to the unit to find it in a shocking state of abuse and pretty much all of the tenants belongings gone. Luckily they left a couple of things behind, one of which brought suspicions of illegal activity, so I told the agent to call him and tell him he's got 1 day to show up and pay the rent, or I'm going to the police. I also changed the lock right there and then so he couldn't get in. He called the agent (probably after trying to go in later that day) and begged to get his things back promising he'll pay later. Eventually he came, paid the rent owed, took his things and left

On 9/8/2023 at 6:53 AM, DonniePeverley said:

Do i have rites to change this number, or would that be wrong ?

Ridiculous.

You are a tenant.

The reason for the coded lock is for owner to be able to change code after you leave.

Silly thread. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are renting the owner has a key or access code.  They own the property not you.  You cannot just change the access code or locks without permission.  And the owner is not obligated to allow you. If you do you will be causing yourself a lot of trouble. This is not just in Thailand. 
One condo I rented in Bangkok had a code lock.  The owner programmed the lock to my code.  But she had the code also. 

Edited by swm59nj

On 9/8/2023 at 7:23 AM, digbeth said:

I don't know if where you're from have the practice where tenants change all the locks in the place they are renting, but here, landlords or the agents or even the condo hold the spare keys

Not quite right. Land lord/agent can and should be able to access their property if legally required. You may be able change the locks but you’ll be asked for a spare key to be handed to the land lord/agent. 

• Confused 1

On 9/8/2023 at 2:04 AM, Peterw42 said:

That's no different to the landlord having a key to their property, Keys or codes don't often get changed everytime a new tenant rents a place. It would get very expensive, especially on a short term rental like airbnb.

Changing lock is first thing i do wherever i lodge or rent ....,and when leaving the stay i put the originnal again in place ....

Electronic locks of course is a different handling for your security

Edited by david555

7 hours ago, david555 said:

Changing lock is first thing i do wherever i lodge or rent ....,and when leaving the stay i put the originnal again in place ....

Electronic locks of course is a different handling for your security

So the first thing you do is break the lease agreement or do you provide a key to the landlord?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 6:53 AM, DonniePeverley said:

Guys quick question. We noticed when we went to look at appartment, the landlord could place his hand on the door sensor (when you put the card), and some numbers would come up and she typed in a code to get the door to open. 

I didn't like this. 

Solution: Buy a home security camera clearly visible, aimed at the entrance door.

With auto tracking, camera follow any person who enter the unit.

Screenshot_20230910-074658_Lazada.thumb.jpg.3348be395d6af49831111667fb4c23ef.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, connda said:

Again.  This is your friend!  :wink:

???????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
th-695184306.jpeg.98ccc66f2d365bfa7e8298278faf8e92.jpeg

Criminals LOVE to see these on outside doors. They are a great comfort to them, being certain that no one is in the house when they are trying to break in so they don't have to worry about making noise. These days there are more than enough Youtube videos made by Pen Testers teaching thieves just how to break into almost any location, no matter how secure, and how to bypass most security systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Landlord having access and having a key are two different things.

They have access after notice by you letting them in. A key would be for either an emergency or unauthorized access.

Another issue is does the landlord want to be responsible for any theft that occurs? If they are not planning on stealing anything or coming in unannounced they are better off letting you change the code to your own private pin. If they have a key they are a pretty obvious suspect.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, Peterw42 said:

That's no different to the landlord having a key to their property, Keys or codes don't often get changed everytime a new tenant rents a place. It would get very expensive, especially on a short term rental like airbnb.

Why would it be expensive? They have locks controlled by apps. The door can be opened and codes changed with a few clicks on a phone.

Edited by LikeItHot
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So the first thing you do is break the lease agreement or do you provide a key to the landlord?

In case of electronic lock i could give access on demand by email or phone call ,as such i have proof when entry by landlord happens !....Btw this would be a demanded as exclusion on the contract by me or no renting ....

I am not surprised some values or money could go missing if renters accept this sharing key ...

Up to you anyway to risk loosing cash

.....or might be you do not keep serious  cash  as i do ,..being on the other side of the globe 

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Landlord having access and having a key are two different things.

They have access after notice by you letting them in. A key would be for either an emergency or unauthorized access.

Another issue is does the landlord want to be responsible for any theft that occurs? If they are not planning on stealing anything or coming in unannounced they are better off letting you change the code to your own private pin. If they have a key they are a pretty obvious suspect.

yep a lady that lived in my bldg says the manager stole her gold from her room  thai-thai

some put those covers on the door handles than you can put a lock on the cover so no one can access keyhole but you....also had a few rooms with just a hinge you could use just a padlock

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Criminals LOVE to see these on outside doors. They are a great comfort to them, being certain that no one is in the house when they are trying to break in so they don't have to worry about making noise. These days there are more than enough Youtube videos made by Pen Testers teaching thieves just how to break into almost any location, no matter how secure, and how to bypass most security systems.

whoops   i just posted about these.....but then again we have cameras everywhere and the manager here is the one thats shady

11 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

yep a lady that lived in my bldg says the manager stole her gold from her room  thai-thai

some put those covers on the door handles than you can put a lock on the cover so no one can access keyhole but you....also had a few rooms with just a hinge you could use just a padlock

Thefts are almost always people you know, not people randomly showing up and deciding your place deserves it.

Its people that are closest to you and know who you are.

• Like 1