Landlord has code to open door

29 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

yep ...cable locked my bag inside dresser and padlocked zippers to my stash so if anyone gets and idea they are gonna have to work harder at it.....or haul the armoire out too

Nice gesture "the suitcases "☺️, so the thief can use them to his secure place to break & steal the inside ....???? just clipping your cables ....cheesy.gif

5 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Solution: Buy a home security camera clearly visible, aimed at the entrance door.

With auto tracking, camera follow any person who enter the unit.

Screenshot_20230910-074658_Lazada.thumb.jpg.3348be395d6af49831111667fb4c23ef.jpg

probably a thief would take that camera also with him /her ....cheesy.gif

Edited by david555

On 9/9/2023 at 2:11 PM, digbeth said:

But how would anyone knows if you have another set of keys outside the envelope? 

Well, if you need to go down that avenue, then there is something wrong with you as the landlord. I had no reason to "cheat" on my tenants over the last 30+ years. 

But you can also turn the table around. Have the locks changed by the tenant (or in the tenant's presence), envelope up one of the three sets of keys and the other two sets remain with the tenant. 

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, if you need to go down that avenue, then there is something wrong with you as the landlord. I had no reason to "cheat" on my tenants over the last 30+ years. 

But you can also turn the table around. Have the locks changed by the tenant (or in the tenant's presence), envelope up one of the three sets of keys and the other two sets remain with the tenant. 

Dude a landlord has the RIGHT to have a set or even three sets of a tenants keys. Your envelope system is so ridiculous!! Thirty years of silliness. You OWN the place. 

I think a major factor to complicate all this - in the west we all tend to use keys. Most tennents tend to change a lock - you can essentially take the same size lock out and replace it with something similar, albeit it a different key.

In THailand most condos use a card and a code on the door (for newer condos too). The code aspect leaves you vulnerable to past guests if the landlord doesn't change it, and the card entry system means it's very hard to override it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Dude a landlord has the RIGHT to have a set or even three sets of a tenants keys. Your envelope system is so ridiculous!! Thirty years of silliness. You OWN the place. 

How grateful am I to have finally met the almighty know-it-all.

Well, I'm neither your "dude" nor does the landlord have the right to access the premises while rented out - it is called trespassing where I come from.  
While I own the place I have no right to enter the place without prior approval of the tenant. Exception to this is during the termination period of an existing contract for viewing purposes to potential future tenants. So much to standing corrected as far as "silliness" is concerned but quite obviously you seem to have so much more experience in this business than the law makers and enforcers. Good on you ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

How grateful am I to have finally met the almighty know-it-all.

Well, I'm neither your "dude" nor does the landlord have the right to access the premises while rented out - it is called trespassing where I come from.  
While I own the place I have no right to enter the place without prior approval of the tenant. Exception to this is during the termination period of an existing contract for viewing purposes to potential future tenants. So much to standing corrected as far as "silliness" is concerned but quite obviously you seem to have so much more experience in this business than the law makers and enforcers. Good on you ???? 

You have the right to enter if you believe property is abandoned and in emergency situations like a tenant below says there is a leak coming from your unit. Also for an inspection.