Landlord has code to open door

The landlord/condo mgt, is normally permitted to have key access to a rented dwelling. However, the first thing we did when moving in was change all the locks. Easy enough to do yourself in 10 minutes. Our landlord is 2,000km away, and we've never met her in the 11 years we've been in this apartment, but just in case, I kept all the old cylinders and keys, and will replace them when we leave. The locks I put in are far more secure than the ones that had been in the door.. I prefer 3-sided dimple cylinders over single side with just 4-5 pins. Much harder to pick, and can't be bumped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

I don't know if where you're from have the practice where tenants change all the locks in the place they are renting, but here, landlords or the agents or even the condo hold the spare keys

An agent for my house in Pattaya gave me a new key.

She said the tenant wanted the main door lock changed because she was concerned that several previous tenants still had old keys to open the door. Therefore she wanted the lock changed. Fair enough.

The agent used a known locksmith to replace the lock then the agent gave me a key to the new lock.

Given past issues and problems I've experienced as a landlord* I want to always have a key so that I can, if needed, do an inspection of my property. Unless there is serious cause for concern I would always advise the tenant that I was coming (date/time) to do an inspection. 

• * I have no hesitation to comment; there's good and bad tenants and there's good and bad landlords.

If I had serious concerns and the tenant was unresonsive I would go to the property with the agent and let myself in.

• Like 1

No big deal, we own a condo and the locks a keycard which you need for other parts of the project if they had to they can enter our unit also the smoke alarm is linked to the security office they know exactly where it's gone off,

We used to have a villa that had one of them key pads, it's easy to change the codes I used to change regular the one we had it used to burn through batteries, 

I have bunches of keys for other properties that are rented out and the owners are not here, tenants have been known to get locked out and lose keys, we do take a deposit for the keys, plus it's a pain in the backside getting new keys cut, 

Edited by ChipButty

In Canada it's illegal for a tenant to change the locks without providing a copy of the new key to the landlord. Two week eviction for violation. It makes sense if you think about it.

I recently evicted a tenant for this. It helps that rents are up 50% or more recently and the new tenant is paying much more than the evicted tenant did. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just install CCTV, in case. Any landlord, in my view, should have the right to periodically check his/her property, especially in view of the horror stories we read of here, But it should be done by appointment, not when the tenant is out.

Landlord needs to give notice to view property. That has nothing to do with the locks. What about previous tennants who may know the code ?

3 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Landlord needs to give notice to view property. That has nothing to do with the locks. What about previous tennants who may know the code ?

Tell the landlord that and to change the code or if you can change it and give them the code. Makes sense to me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Well, I would assume the landlord would change the code, same as hotels do when a guest leaves. Assuming, of course, doesn't mean they do as that would require common sense and logical thinking.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

In Canada it's illegal for a tenant to change the locks without providing a copy of the new key to the landlord. Two week eviction for violation. It makes sense if you think about it.

I recently evicted a tenant for this. It helps that rents are up 50% or more recently and the new tenant is paying much more than the evicted tenant did. 

Wow!    It's truly a dog eat dog world.  

23 minutes ago, connda said:

Bolt lock for the inside
4inStainBB-222-1374687380.thumb.jpeg.afa40ac4f7cac4a169e054c91b46e0c2.jpeg
or

Bolt lock for the outside.

th-3915241560.jpeg.23ed1364ed67326b87bc6900b1a0692b.jpeg

Of course your landlord will take your entire security deposit for putting holes in the door.  :thumbsup:

Fyi.  My landlords in Thailand always had a key to my apartments.  However, you can (and should) use a locking door-knob cover.  None of my landlord cared that I used these.  In fact, they encourage their use.
With your landlord having a key - you don't get locked out when you forget yours (I've done that more than once).

You can find these at any key shop in Thailand.  ????
th-695184306.jpeg.dd89995da66eef08379cb397f12c8df2.jpeg

In my last apartment I installed a wrought-iron screen door.  We lived on the 4th floor of the apartment building and got a nice breeze (no A/C in the rooms - living 100% "Thai" were all of the residents were also Thai). 

66e95d2c5f7d3820285dc4406e439f67-3963277558.jpeg.a6d36775c73c681a5262788f358f050e.jpeg

Landlord had no problem as long as she got to keep it when we left.  And - the $&^&% still kept the entire security deposit.  Just get use to that.  Don't bother cleaning your room as they will take it anyway about 95% of the time.  But, after installing that door I didn't worry about anyone breaking into the room.  It was worth the investment as we lived there for over three years.  Rent was less than 2000 THB / month.  Door plus installing cost 3000 THB.  Average that over three years and it added about 80 THB to my rent if averaged over three years.  And it kept us quite cool and comfortable.

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1