Cabinet cuts electricity and diesel prices

webfact

Useful change in salary payments for government officials (who often seem to an outsider like 90% of anyone in Thailand who earns a salary). 

Given the inability of so many people to manage money - yes, even government officials! - paying them every fortnight rather than monthly makes sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish I could figure out where they get Bt4.45/KWH amount because when I use the PEA or MEA online calculator which shows quite a few various rates I can't find one that matches a basic Bt4.45 rate....but I can find a rate that comes very close if "not" counting the very significant Ft (energy) charge but counting the 7% VAT.   

Like below is a snapshot if using the typical residential rate at more that 150KWH per month....using a monthly usage amount 1000KWH the total monthly bill would be Bt5,231.....which represents a Bt5.23/KWH.   Now if you "exclude" the 0.6689/KWH Ft charge (which you really can't as that's part of the total cost) then you could get approx a Bt4.56/KWH charge.

Snapshot for PEA Electric Monthly Bill Calculator

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/#

image.png.c2c769587f074005b4a2874d1fb1a2d4.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

so my electric unit price will go back to 7 from 9??????

I too pay the developers 9 baht per unit,  plus FT charge, plus VAT.

I am not expecting the greedy so and so's to drop the price.

If they do I will publicly go down on my knees, say three Hail Mary's and thank Allah.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

You should know that it is illegal for condominiums to charge more than the Government rate.

so as a non thai what would be your solution to the quandry???  without the typical thai payback on a room ive rented each time i return to LOS, as all rooms ive rented have a higher rate which seems the norm as well .....and doesnt seem inclusive to just me..

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

useful info....tnx  got a link?

Nup. Prayut brought this in. Probably never adhered to. As for all the people now paying higher electricity prices in apartments/condos because of the electricity hike this year I'm 100% certain they won't be paying lower electricity prices with the lowering of electricity prices. Very nice profit increase for the owners. 

21 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Nup. Prayut brought this in. Probably never adhered to. As for all the people now paying higher electricity prices in apartments/condos because of the electricity hike this year I'm 100% certain they won't be paying lower electricity prices with the lowering of electricity prices. Very nice profit increase for the owners. 

so whats it supposed to be for # of rooms vs allowing owners to overharge?

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

so whats it supposed to be for # of rooms vs allowing owners to overharge?

Owners will charge what they like. As I said I don't know the number of rooms. Feel free to search for this yourself. Guaranteed as I said the price per unit will not be decreased for people in apartments/condos. This reduction in electricity cost per unit will be a profit for the already super rich owners.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, mfd101 said:

Useful change in salary payments for government officials (who often seem to an outsider like 90% of anyone in Thailand who earns a salary). 

Given the inability of so many people to manage money - yes, even government officials! - paying them every fortnight rather than monthly makes sense.

go back to weekly cash in hand in little brown envelopes like I used to get (oops brown envelopes mean something else, not pay packets)

4 hours ago, roietfortress said:

they tripled the electricity rate in May. that doesn't look like much of a reduction.

Tripled!?   So you are saying your basic rate went from around Bt4.5/KWH to Bt13.5KWH in May?  That didn't happen.

What happened is you just tripled your KWH usage although the rate stayed the same.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Owners will charge what they like. As I said I don't know the number of rooms. Feel free to search for this yourself. Guaranteed as I said the price per unit will not be decreased for people in apartments/condos. This reduction in electricity cost per unit will be a profit for the already super rich owners.

just curious how it all worked and if anyone ever had success challenging this higher rates

as my LL charges me 200 for water and i KNOW he charges others 150....peeves me off but i see this dude daily as he lives here and i always go back to this place so doesnt seem worth it to create the bad blood......i already caught him trying to charge me double for a case of water but went to water shop 5 mins away and got my own at half(real) price....the look on his face when i walked in with it was very satisfying....

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why not for condos?  I'm in a condo and I get my electricity bill direct from MEA, just as the owner would.

Interesting. Maybe some others on here can tell us if this is the case for them. I've been here 20 odd years and stayed in several apartments. Never the case. Always above the basic price.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Interesting. Maybe some others on here can tell us if this is the case for them. I've been here 20 odd years and stayed in several apartments. Never the case. Always above the basic price.

"I've been here 20 odd years and stayed in several apartments.  Never the case".

As I said, I live in a condo, that could be why.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

just curious how it all worked and if anyone ever had success challenging this higher rates

as my LL charges me 200 for water and i KNOW he charges others 150....peeves me off but i see this dude daily as he lives here and i always go back to this place so doesnt seem worth it to create the bad blood......i already caught him trying to charge me double for a case of water but went to water shop 5 mins away and got my own at half(real) price....the look on his face when i walked in with it was very satisfying....

It works like this. Many Thais think we are all stupid. I have many examples like yours. One and not related to a single example is going to a small food shop where the food is good and you get quite a bit. Then the portion gets smaller. Then the price goes up. Then I never go back. They lose. Stupid people.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I've been here 20 odd years and stayed in several apartments.  Never the case".

As I said, I live in a condo, that could be why.

I am now paying Bt7 (was Bt5 but they hiked it in June). Last apartment Bt9. You say never the case well I'm saying it is because this is what I now pay. Bt7. I have a mate in BKK that has a condo. Bt21. You say never the case then prove it. I can prove I'm paying Bt7.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1