Residents bemoan ongoing problem of burning trash in Smorprong

webfact

image.jpeg

Persistent burning of waste in the Smorprong area continues to be a thorn in the side for local residents, whom claim their pleas for help from authorities have fallen on deaf ears.

Back in April, Hua Hin Today shed light on this recurring issue experienced by inhabitants of a property development in Hua Hin. Residents, requesting anonymity both for themselves and their development, claim the burning has plagued them for years.

They claim that various items are being incinerated, including garden waste and, more worryingly, plastic. This burning emits a dense smog, releasing a significant amount of smoke into the surrounding environment.

For many in the affected area, this means sealed windows are a necessity.

By Online Reporter

Full story: Hua Hin Today 2023-09-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The solution lies with themselves, they need to be harassing those doing the burning to get them to stop, and harassing the local officials for proper garbage collections, so the burning of trash is not necessary.

In the winter months many have small bonfires every morning and night, mainly cut down bushes, foliage and trees.

I can understand peoples desire to burn trash, our village has only recently started having garbage collections, on the basis of 1 bin between 4/6 houses and intermittent collections.  Before I used to take bags of trash away to deposit into cans in the local town, however they got upset at me doing so as they have to pay for their collections.

7 hours ago, connda said:

Trust me.  This issues go wayyyy beyond Smorprong and encompasses the entirety of Thailand.

was enjoying a mbike ride to Chiang rai the other week..nice scenery BUT the ONE thing that turned me off from living out there....the burning!!!!   esp the SMELL of that plastic!    uggghhh

28 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if the government actually grew a pair and legislated a total residential burning ban, and any other form of burning (agricultural) requiring a written permit ... nation-wide. With severe penalties if breached. 

No, it wouldn't. What would be amazing is if they provided a solution for garbage and agricultural waste, then educate, and only then ban and fine the burners. Same as with child labour and prostitution - you can ban it all you want, but without giving an alternative it will go on as usual.

Zero awareness anywhere in the country about how extremely unhealthy breathing burning plastic is. It wreaks havoc on your endocrine system,  neuro development of children and reproductive functions , according to some studies it literally causes young children to go through puberty and be able to give birth at age 10 or 11, causes females to act like men and vice versa. Most of the dogs in our village are dykes, I've noticed. Little data out there as you would expect, they'd rather you were freaked out about COVID to the exclusion of being concerned or doing anything about anything else  and of course as we all know and agree, if it is not on the television news it doesn't exist and is a conspiracy theory and is misinformation regardless of what all the research says, what do qualified people know about anyway, right?.

In another study (https://factor.niehs.nih.gov/2022/8/science-highlights/burning-plastic) conducted in Guatemala by the conspiracy theorist and misinformationist terrorist Dr. Lisa Thompson from Dept of Public Health at Emory University, in Guatemala where plastic is nearly universally used to kindle cooking fires, burning plastic was concluded by the study to be the single most important cause of mortality accounting for 7 million premature deaths in 2019 alone. A least the govt gives a toss and is listening to what Dr. Thompson has found and will be working with Dr. Thompson to run a national outreach and public awareness campaign. Well, at least we can smoke dope here in Thailand, but d'ya think we;d ever see any kind of health and safety awareness campaign in Thailand or anyhing that is of help to anyone. No, but you get to use computer tablets at school again though, now that the friend of all children Dr. Thaksin has come back and needs money from Thailand again.

We lived nearly alone a ways outside of our village and in the last 4 years 5 families have moved out here with us, unable to make ends meet in Bangkok. They despise us because we are straigh talkers around here, something that is not appreciated at all anywhere in Thailand asked them to not burn plastic, I said to one family, "We don't do that around here. Give us your plastic and we will sell it/dispose of it ourselves for you. You make everyone sick including yourselves burning that stuff everyday." they stopped burning plastic, haven't smelled it again for two years and hopefully they are selling it at the local abbator but I get a daggers in the eyes gaze from the dad. I'd be worried hey might end my life premaurely but it has a good chance of doing that have anyway, I have been diagnosed with cancer of the bladder, something that smokers often get and I don't smoke.

18 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

The solution lies with themselves, they need to be harassing those doing the burning to get them to stop, and harassing the local officials for proper garbage collections, so the burning of trash is not necessary.

In the winter months many have small bonfires every morning and night, mainly cut down bushes, foliage and trees.

I can understand peoples desire to burn trash, our village has only recently started having garbage collections, on the basis of 1 bin between 4/6 houses and intermittent collections.  Before I used to take bags of trash away to deposit into cans in the local town, however they got upset at me doing so as they have to pay for their collections.

In this area where I live there are plenty of free bins, I put my plastics and cardboard beside the bins and it's gone in a minute. 

I've never heard of anyone complaining, must be an isolated area. 

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

In this area where I live there are plenty of free bins, I put my plastics and cardboard beside the bins and it's gone in a minute. 

I've never heard of anyone complaining, must be an isolated area. 

Plastics and cardboard are collected by a number of sources as it can be recycled, a number of people go round our area looking for recyclable items to sell that's how they make there living, if it's beside the bins it's fair game (free), if it's at somebodies house it needs to be paid for.

Yes the predominately farming village could be classed as isolated despite being only 10 mins from the nearest town and 30 mins from the provincial capital. The nearest town charges the householders for the bin emptying.