Weighing passengers to become standard for Bangkok Airways

webfact

I think it’s an interesting move even if it does raise some eyebrows. I hope eventually it will be mandatory to put your weight as part of the initial booking. Those who are under weight can benefit from having extra baggage. Then it comes an issue what is “normal” weight.

8 hours ago, MurakamiX said:

Somebody who is fit and healthy, should not have to pay. the same amount as somebody who cannot stop eating cake with zero care for their own health and consumerism.

The actual difference in fuel consumption between someone who's 50kg or someone who's 100kg amounts to a few hundred baht at most for domestic flights in Thailand. Under 300 baht BKK to Phuket. Under 200 baht BKK to Samui. So before you guys go spewing your "I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY SAME RATES AS FATTY" might want to actually fact check yourself.

As for the idea to weight passengers before flights - what the actual ****?!? Will never fly Bangkok Air if they continue to do this. Hopefully this "brilliant" plan fails miserably and other airlines don't follow. They have no business nor right to invade our privacy like that.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The actual difference in fuel consumption between someone who's 50kg or someone who's 100kg amounts to a few hundred baht at most for domestic flights in Thailand. Under 300 baht BKK to Phuket. Under 200 baht BKK to Samui. So before you guys go spewing your "I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY SAME RATES AS FATTY" might want to actually fact check yourself.

As for the idea to weight passengers before flights - what the actual ****?!? Will never fly Bangkok Air if they continue to do this. Hopefully this "brilliant" plan fails miserably and other airlines don't follow. They have no business nor right to invade our privacy like that.

THB 300 extra to HKT...so about 15% of the air fare then.  Seems fair enought to me to charge the slim and thin 1850 and the overeaters 2150.....

PH

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

What I do in that instance is to confiscate their in flight meal for myself so i can expand ever so slightly at their expense to partially offset the bias..

No one can get fat on an airline meal..... or even on two!

6 hours ago, Tequila makes me happy said:

Bullsh*t. I weigh 245lb, lift heavy weights 4 times a week and have just finished my thrice weekly morning 10km run. 

My heart is beating away happily and consistently and through exercise intend to keep it that way.

You should look into it. The heart doesn't care if it's muscle or fat, it's still a burden to carry around. Most body builders die young. 

• Like 1

Ls.

9 hours ago, MurakamiX said:

Amazing and commonsensical.
Somebody who is fit and healthy, should not have to pay. the same amount as somebody who cannot stop eating cake with zero care for their own health and consumerism. Net weight for the win 

But you will have to pay more if you are a Western male.

You are more likely to be taller and bigger than ladies. Also bigger and taller than most Asians. Don't for one second think this will impact the obese only. That it is being introduced for load balancing opens the gate for future chargjng for heavier people.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

It's pretty simple. There are a set amount of seats, and we have a limit to the KGs of luggage we can bring on. If we go over that luggage amount, we need to pay extra. So why should there be no limit on body weight? It should be total net weight of you plus luggage. If you are someone who can't stop indulging in gluttony, you should have to pay the consequences. Being obese should be a shameful situation, and in terms of business and flying, it should be taxed fairly.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Ls.

But you will have to pay more if you are a Western male.

You are more likely to be taller and bigger than ladies. Also bigger and taller than most Asians. Don't for one second think this will impact the obese only. That it is being introduced for load balancing opens the gate for future chargjng for heavier people.

That doesn't bother me. 

Please read the article correctly. The headline is misleading. They are simple conducting a voluntary anonymous short term survey to ascertain the average passenger weight for future planning not planning to charge people by their size.

Same as New Zealand Airways and Korean Air which are short term research projects in one or 2 airports to update average customer weight information that is almost 20 years old.

In my humble opinion if they tried to impose a pay by weight policy it could create serious problems

1. it would be impossible to police until the checkin where the backlash at the desk could be catastrophic

2. It could create an us and them division between the fat, overheight or Muscular and the thin

3. Larger size cultures would see it as an attack on their freedoms

4. Women especially do not like to share such personal information neither would many men

5. It could promote a view that thin is the correct body type which the world is currently trying to redress

6. It could generate serious health concerns by promoting crash dieting and weight control before flying

Any airline that tried to charge people by weight would be committing economic suicide as in the case of Samoa Air. No other airlines have since taken up this policy.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MurakamiX said:

Somebody who is a body builder and say 250lbs, is not healthy. They can barely breathe while walking. It all comes down to the weight your heart must carry around all day, and in this instance, the weight you put onto a plane. 

yeah but they can lift hevvy fings

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MurakamiX said:

It's pretty simple. There are a set amount of seats, and we have a limit to the KGs of luggage we can bring on. If we go over that luggage amount, we need to pay extra. So why should there be no limit on body weight? It should be total net weight of you plus luggage. If you are someone who can't stop indulging in gluttony, you should have to pay the consequences. Being obese should be a shameful situation, and in terms of business and flying, it should be taxed fairly.  

Did you foget to take your Meds today?.....Its ok we have a nice padded room for you....

Body weight does not mean Jack.....If it did there would have been charges decades ago..