Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

4 hours ago, JackGats said:

In other words if you get paid a pension of say 8k dollars a months as from January 2024, under the LTR you're allowed to remit 8k x 12 dollars worth taxfree in 2024.

Easy workaround with savings earned prior getting LTR Visa:

If you want to transfer $100K to Thailand, just buy an S&P500 ETF for $100K, then sell your shares right away or any time you need it (with good timing you could even realize some capital gain).

You then have proof of the ETF sale and can transfer sale proceed tax free the same year in Thailand.

If you worry about volatility just select a less volatile ETF/Stock of your choice or any other asset.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here you go folks......The answer to why all this talk about new taxes...

Because..

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/09/25/calls-for-clarification-of-new-regime-income-tax-foreigners-overseas-income/

Thai economy is driven and owned by a small elite

This is leading to the government seeking a wider tax base with much of the country’s wealth, held by a small elite in holdings that are mobile and able to be managed against changes in the country’s tax code.

Because of this imbalance in power, such tax changes run a risk of disrupting the country’s economy which is very much dependent on this elite class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MistyBlue said:

I inadvertently phrased my response as a question rather than a statement, apologies I wasn't asking a question.

I disagree with your interpretation.  Thailand does not have a remittance tax.  It has a tax on income that is earned in an assessable year whilst a tax resident, which is then payable when that income is remitted to Thailand (this is not the same as a remittance tax and may not actually end up being payable depending on the tax treaties).   This seems consistent to me with the BOI responses being quoted, I just think you're interpreting the responses incorrectly.

Time will tell...

This email from Thai Elite posted by somebody else on the internet by the way also talks about taxation of SAVINGS, but the future will tell...image.thumb.png.4caf868908404f1d31df4435ddc21c76.png

P.S.:  As I am just reposting this, I cannot personally confirm the accuracy of this email, but I do not really suspect that anybody would fake this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Oh, come on. You think all cash flow into Thailand will be looked at as taxable income? First and foremost, this would kill foreign direct investment by individuals -- and FDI is a major item in a strong economy. And guess who rides herd on FDI? Why, no other than BoI. So, their new golden boy on the street -- the LTR visa -- isn't going to be torpedoed, as long as BoI maintains its substantial horsepower.

But forget just LTR visas. Remember, one of the "get out of jail free" cards was having a DTA between your home country and Thailand -- and there are 61 of those. But the kicker is that you have to pay taxes (they don't say what kind) to your home country. I would presume such taxes would be income taxes against income taxable by both Thailand and your home country. For Yanks, you're home free with this, as you're already paying Uncle Sam taxes on your worldwide income. For Europeans not paying tax to anyone -- well, you may now become part of what the OECD wants, namely, everyone paying taxes to someone.

But back to FDI: Thailand is NOT going impede cash flow into Thailand for investment, by branding all wire transfers, and similar, as "taxable income." That would be ludicrous. And for Yanks, they'll probably just leave us alone. For Europeans, well, maybe a peak at their tax returns -- or maybe not. But don't expect too much until CRS and FATCA reporting are more mature -- and Thailand can finally have a clear look at income that should be, but has not, been reported. And somewhere down the road, the stupid "remitted" requirement for delineating income will be cancelled -- and Thailand can join the rest of the world on how to tax foreign income.

Anyway, if you're about to transfer 250k USD to buy some real estate, and this is easily identifiable as from after-tax entities in your transfer account (or probably even not ---), have at it, as Thailand is not going to shoot themselves in both feet by screwing around with your transfer, as regards FDI. 

The  new RD order is about Personal Income Tax. This had nothing to do with FDI.

Yes, the order literally says that savings brought into Thailand wil be taxed as income.  This is the wording of the order, and that's why Thai Elite sees it this way (see the  2 posts above mine).

Yes, bringing in 20m to buy a condo will incur 35% tax.

However, people who buy a condo for 20m may very well be rich enough to be tax exempt (LTR, maybe Elite, tax avoidance schemes concocted by expensive tax advisers). And even if they pay 35% - very few foreigners would leave Thailand if everything was 35% more expensive than now.  Most would still consider Thailand cheap or good value. 

Edited by Lorry

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

So the LTR visa will not allow someone to come and transfer their nest egg here to buy property and car etc, unless they earn all that after getting the LTR visa, which is unlikely to retirees.

What if they earn all that before they became a Thai tax resident. 

Or as in my case if they earned all that and paid Thai tax on it already as a tax resident, but before getting an LTR visa.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, K2938 said:

This email from Thai Elite posted by somebody else on the internet by the way also talks about taxation of SAVINGS, but the future will tell...

Again I think you are confusing the capital value of savings with the income of savings in an assessable year.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Misty said:
5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

So the LTR visa will not allow someone to come and transfer their nest egg here to buy property and car etc, unless they earn all that after getting the LTR visa, which is unlikely to retirees.

What if they earn all that before they became a Thai tax resident. 

Then it isn't assessable income.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Yes, the order literally says that savings brought into Thailand wil be taxed as income.

I don't think they have said that at all.  It is the assessable income brought in. (Interest generated from the savings whilst a tax resident. Not the capital value.)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, K2938 said:

This email from Thai Elite posted by somebody else on the internet by the way also talks about taxation of SAVINGS, but the future will tell...image.thumb.png.4caf868908404f1d31df4435ddc21c76.png

P.S.:  As I am just reposting this, I cannot personally confirm the accuracy of this email, but I do not really suspect that anybody would fake this

Interesting. I was forwarded an email with nearly identical wording from a completely separate, non Thai government, entity.  So I wonder who really originated this verbage - was it Thailand Privilege, the sender of the email I received, or someone else?  Especially the bit that is highlighted which seems pretty much nonsensical.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, MartinL said:

Confirmed on pages 6 & 7 of this booklet:-

https://www.pwc.com/th/en/tax/assets/thai-tax/thai-tax-2022-23-booklet.pdf

although I read elsewhere - can't find it now - that this is for income from employment after 65 only.

A number of people here say or imply that all transfers from overseas will be taxed at 35%. On what basis is this claim made? Too many pages here to read the lot and find out so I might have misunderstood. No graduated taxation for incoming foreign transfers?

35% is the top marginal rate of tax in Thailand kicking in at 4,000,001 baht.  In saying 35% the implied situation is a large transfer well above the 35% threshold, so most but not all, of it would taxed at 35%. 

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MistyBlue said:

I don't think they have said that at all.  It is the assessable income brought in. (Interest generated from the savings whilst a tax resident. Not the capital value.)

MistyBlue, there is some disinformation circulating that is confusing savings with return on assets. I've been sent it a couple of times now.

Like your name btw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Misty said:

MistyBlue, there is some disinformation circulating that is confusing savings with return on assets. I've been sent it a couple of times now.

Like your name btw.

Yeah return on assets could be more problematic. Key is evidencing the value paid before a gain is made. Easy enough if records are kept on purchases or if the gain is realised and capital reset before coming a tax resident.  If not then some professional advice might be needed on how to determine the purchase cost of the asset.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

True but giving themselves the right to tax income arising in any prior tax year with no time limit, rather than just the one previous tax year,

Going forwards perhaps we will need to keep records of assessable income earned in a tax year and match that to the year it is brought in.

While you can produce evidence that income was earned, how could you produce evidence that savings were never derived from income earned in any form whatsoever? 

That is not unique to Thailand.  Same could be said for any country in which one is a tax resident.

assess all savings/capital as income because it was obviously earned at some time in the past.

This is not correct.  Not all savings have been earned.  A few examples: compensation payments, inheritance, lottery winnings, state benefits.  In any case, the issue is not about how you made your savings, it's about how much income your savings generate in an assessable tax year.

it will be too easy for everyone to avoid tax by claiming they have remitted their non-assessable savings/capital only

Then they will be committing tax fraud if they make that claim and they haven't.

Edited by MistyBlue

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Here you go folks......The answer to why all this talk about new taxes...

Because..

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/09/25/calls-for-clarification-of-new-regime-income-tax-foreigners-overseas-income/

Thai economy is driven and owned by a small elite

This is leading to the government seeking a wider tax base with much of the country’s wealth, held by a small elite in holdings that are mobile and able to be managed against changes in the country’s tax code.

Because of this imbalance in power, such tax changes run a risk of disrupting the country’s economy which is very much dependent on this elite class.

Well thanks for that.

Under no circumstances should one have money in Thai bank account and that includes marriage/retirement funds starting in 2024.

Clearly stated in the article disguised as "wealth inequality" 

I also think Thai baht is on the way to major devaluation.

Edited by Celsius
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is 180 days in a year, so you should move to Cambodia for 6 months a year.

Or become SilverSnowbird to home country ....

( Was my plan already why i left Thailand Sept. 2022 to arrange again a Belgian Home-base )

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

Just now, JimTripper said:

I wonder if immigration can refuse exit from the country if back taxes were not paid?

They do that in the USA in exceptional cases, the IRS invalidates your passport so you can’t leave.

They couldn't manage to collect a small departure tax; do you really think they could become tax collectors??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Don't worry, Thailand will give full "clarification" at the last possible second, leaving everyone else to pick up the pieces, then pat themselves on the back for a job well done. I think the PM is a complete moron, or is actively trading based on the chaos he has created. I really do hope someone investigates him and his financial actions.

Trading in what?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2