You sold everything!

georgegeorgia

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

UK law doesn't consider inheritance or time of purchase.

ALL assets are vulnerable from your birth until 19 years after divorce.

She can go back to court at any time (until the kids are 19) and ask for more.

It's actually the same as in the US. All non matrimonial property, meaning bought before marriage, belongs to the buyer. Anything after the marriage is community property, and is divided. A court might give the wife the house because they feel, wrongly, that she is the nurturer and should stay there with the kids. The man can fight this if he can prove he is a better choice to raise the kids, where he would retain the house, but it usually goes to the woman, in the US also. No one can get anything of yours if it was yours before the marriage. If your lawyer doesn't give a shiit, he will ask you to settle because he is lazy and just wants to get paid and go on with his next case. There are certain circumstances where the house might be split. One being if the wife lived there before they married, which would mean she helped with bills. Another would be if her financial needs would not be met unless you sold the house. Then it would be split equally usually. I think you got screwed or your lawyer was a dick.........................https://anshamwhite.com/family-law-solicitors/is-a-house-owned-before-marriage-classified-as-marital-property-during-a-divorce/

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Go on admit it !

Who now has  NO residence ,no house back in farangland where they came from 

Some of you sold up to come to Thailand, Philippines or wherever your based in Asia didn't you !

So whether you retired from Australia,UK ,USA or bloody Belgium you have nothing to go back to if <deleted>e hits the fan !

You sold it ,so if you get very sick ,if something happens like visa issues or legal matters or whatever you have nothing to go back to , your in the <deleted>e !

So unless your say over 75 you took a  big risk in selling your house in farangland

How many of you regret it ,admit it ,yes some if you wished you kept your house 

I've never owned a property.   Lived my whole life in Asia and aside from when I lived in houses my parents owned, I've always rented.  

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

My ex-wife got the house back in Australia. When I retired I had to make the decision to start afresh in Australia or Thailand (with my new Thai wife). I had enough money to buy a house in one country or another, but not both.

We chose Thailand and built a house. After 10 years here I sometimes wonder what would have happened if we had bought a house in Australia. I've no doubt it would have been a great investement and probably doubled in value over that time. On the other hand, our house/land in Thailand is probably worth similar to when we purchased it 10 years ago.

Like most farang I did not fully appreciate why the cost of land/houses is so cheap over here. One of the reasons is that there is only a limited market for second hand properties out here in rural Thailand and it is easy to over-capitalise. Houses do not appreciate (it's like buying a new car with the value dropping off quickly) although the land will go up if the location is favourable. Similarly, Thailand is an aging country and the population has levelled off and will decline. There is no chance of massive migration to pump growth (unlike Australia which welcomes 500,000 new migrants each year).

I don't regret our choices because it was a life-style thing.

• Like 2

On the other hand if you owned a house back in farang-land-home-country and leave it unoccupied, it that a better alternative ?

Who will maintain the place ?

A a house (or appartement) that is not occupied sometimes requires more maintenance empty,  then when occupied.

Mould or plumbing issues, limescale in the hot water boiler not used or the unused pipes, and plumbing ?..

.And the main issue is the risk of the place being squatted, usually by gypsy gangs who break in houses, change the locks and can only be expelled only after lenghty court battles, that can more or less last depending on which european country.  But usually the lodgings are left in a war zone condition and unsanitary state.

Not to mention the car. A car left unattended for months developps many flaws and issues that are not only related to the battrey.

In conclusion, if one wants to go on long stay abroad, it's not a good idea to leave an unattended home back in the home country.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

On the other hand if you owned a house back in farang-land-home-country and leave it unoccupied, it that a better alternative ?

Who will maintain the place ?

A a house (or appartement) that is not occupied sometimes requires more maintenance empty,  then when occupied.

Mould or plumbing issues, limescale in the hot water boiler not used or the unused pipes, and plumbing ?..

.And the main issue is the risk of the place being squatted, usually by gypsy gangs who break in houses, change the locks and can only be expelled only after lenghty court battles, that can more or less last depending on which european country.  But usually the lodgings are left in a war zone condition and unsanitary state.

Not to mention the car. A car left unattended for months developps many flaws and issues that are not only related to the battrey.

In conclusion, if one wants to go on long stay abroad, it's not a good idea to leave an unattended home back in the home country.

If you have a house and would like to return or keep a plan b, you sell your house, and reinvest in an apartment. 

I haven't been back to my apartment since 2013, and basically run by itself. When I'm back in Norway, I only go for work, family and friends, the apartment I manage to solve online only. I had the same tenant now for 7 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

If you have a house and would like to return or keep a plan b, you sell your house, and reinvest in an apartment. 

I haven't been back to my apartment since 2013, and basically run by itself. When I'm back in Norway, I only go for work, family and friends, the apartment I manage to solve online only. I had the same tenant now for 7 years. 

Norway has different laws for property, I suppose the Sigmund spoke for countries like France or other southern European countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

you have a rental to go back to if you dont own.

Yeah, what's the big deal.  Not a problem.  Yes, I sold my USA condo--too much of a hassle trying to manage it from here.  If I ever have to return to the USA, I'll buy another property, possibly renting while I look for something suitable.   

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Norway has different laws for property, I suppose the Sigmund spoke for countries like France or other southern European countries.

You need to be a tax payer to have property in Norway, however you can own leisure property.

I'm still a taxpayer with an adress in Norway regardless how many days or years I spend abroad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newnative said:

Yeah, what's the big deal.  Not a problem.  Yes, I sold my USA condo--too much of a hassle trying to manage it from here.  If I ever have to return to the USA, I'll buy another property, possibly renting while I look for something suitable.   

AS a plan b, I can buy an apartment in Bangkok as an safety asset, but I'm unsure how it would be to sell and bring cash out the day I might need it.

I do not trust Thailand, to invest to much here, and I'm unsure of my future here after 70.

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

AS a plan b, I can buy an apartment in Bangkok as an safety asset, but I'm unsure how it would be to sell and bring cash out the day I might need it.

I do not trust Thailand, to invest to much here, and I'm unsure of my future here after 70.

And you are doing the right thing.

In Thailand,  the real estate fellows will always be sugar and spice and always available and present to sell.

Once they have sold,got your life's savings,  it's "go to hell".

They will take ages to respond to any request you can have,  say in a "Snag list" after purchase of property.

Not to mention the many technical problems and defects in house projects (plumbing, electricity, voltage problems on power surges that plainly destroy your electronic equipment or can worse, create short circuits and fire). Very often these defective housing developpments are run by farangs, who far to often are no better then the local incompetent thai builders/electricians/plumbers. But in the end of the day why bother ?

There will always be naive foreigners who will buy and think their house and  developpment is different from the rest.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Go on admit it !

Some of you sold up to come to Thailand, Philippines or wherever your based in Asia didn't you !

So whether you retired from Australia,UK ,USA or bloody Belgium you have nothing to go back to if <deleted>e hits the fan !

You sold it ,so if you get very sick ,if something happens like visa issues or legal matters or whatever you have nothing to go back to , your in the <deleted>e !

So unless your say over 75 you took a  big risk in selling your house in farangland

Sorry to disappoint you (actually not). Yes, I studied five potential countries in which to retire. Thailand got the nod but not before my visiting and traveling during four separate monthlong stays in 2009 and 2010. Sent in the retirement paperwork to retire as of July 1, 2011 (academic year contract, aged 64 1/2 years). Sold my 18.4 acres, motorhome, 3 cars and went to cash. And the house? Took some memorabilia after allowing Sons to walk through and take what they wanted (neither had a place of their own at the time). So, left the basement shop, furniture but arranged four crates to be shipped to Chiang Mai (two crates were books ... one I kept, one was 298 books in English of American History I donated to the CMU Library. So, I have no real property in USA. My residence has been Chiang Mai, Thailand. But, but ... what happens if all goes belly up? As they say, I will cross that bridge when I come to it ... stress over potential disasters is a killer. After all, as you point out, I can move anywhere ... as my Aussie acquaintances would say ... "no worries, mate".

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

You can get squatters out quite easily these days .

Takes just a few days 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Go on admit it !

i did it and i got back to by you called "bloody Belgium " with no problems .....as long you keep the momey available from any sale and not trow it over the counter in Thailand while ringing the bell !!

BTW at the age you mentioned you must realize that depending your family situation you go give a big contribution to your home country  inheritance tax office by keeping it on your dying day as not sold ....THINK  !!   Cash is so easy to hide ....and find to the destined love ones  tax free 

And for the moment it is so easy with money available to return Thailand if wished ..... just the 800 K transferred in to Th.KK  and documents and i am again in (lost ) Paradise ????

This way does not count for the day by day barparty addicts ????

Edited by david555