Thai navy seeks approval for Chinese submarine purchase amidst budget concerns

webfact

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

The burning question is "Why do they need a submarine?"

Don't you know? For the same reason they need an aircraft carrier, that has sailed twice since 1997, the Rear Admiral will retire eventually! Pension! :jap:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Come hell or high water they are going to purchase these useless subs....The subs only value is its entertainment value..But I do not think thats really worth untold billions of baht...

Recipients of the commissions do! :thumbsup::jap:

• Like 2

Don't forget to include the engine this time....but that seems to fit the Thai style of business....they will sell you a car here and come later claiming the steering wheel was not included.

Just like some farang house developpers in Hua Hin who will sell you and lease the land for the pool villa, accept your absurd requests and only once all is paid, will show up and say that it was not compatible and of course no refund.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai navy, under the command of Navy Chief Adm Choengchai Chomchoengpaet, has confirmed plans to seek governmental approval for the purchase of a Chinese submarine, equipped with a Chinese-made engine

I thought this had been shelved..

• Thumbs Up 1

"The Chinese engine has undergone rigorous inspection and has been approved by the Navy for its safety and efficiency", the big envelopes/cake boxes all those involved received from  china had nothing to do with their decision of course

• Haha 1

So the Germans remained firm with their "Njyet" on supplying German engines to China - good so. 

I just wonder now, to what extend Navy Chief Adm Choengchai Chomchoengpaet will benefit of the whole joke. Thailand and submarines - what an unbelievably good flop. Unless the commissioning of the deal is excellent ......... as the French say "on vera" ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

So the Germans remained firm with their "Njyet" on supplying German engines to China - good so. 

I just wonder now, to what extend Navy Chief Adm Choengchai Chomchoengpaet will benefit of the whole joke. Thailand and submarines - what an unbelievably good flop. Unless the commissioning of the deal is excellent ......... as the French say "on vera" ???? 

All of the Germans I have spoken with use the word 'nein' to say no. 'Nyet' is a word people say with a Russian accent to say 'no', and of course the word is written using the Russian alphabet. There is no 'j' in the official transliteration of 'nyet'. Maybe it is from some other language or a German dialect?

Edited by retarius

On 9/22/2023 at 8:57 AM, brianthainess said:

If and when this unnecessary piece of junk arrives, it should spend 3 months here undergoing safety checks .Otherwise known as sea trials.

It will break down, or be broken, during those trials, and, if salvaged, spend the next twenty years propping up a jetty.

Edited by herfiehandbag

Revealing about the qualifications of this PM. He should have said weeks ago  "freeze it, at least until I have worked out a budget". 

My guess is he is going to finance it with a levy on the illegal Thai prostitution.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2023 at 5:34 PM, retarius said:

All of the Germans I have spoken with use the word 'nein' to say no. 'Nyet' is a word people say with a Russian accent to say 'no', and of course the word is written using the Russian alphabet. There is no 'j' in the official transliteration of 'nyet'. Maybe it is from some other language or a German dialect?

I speak German fluently and the phonetics for the Russian "нет" reads - applying German phonetics - as "Njyet". Leaving the "j" out is not a game changer though ...... согласованный?