How to deal with a chicken problem

Na Fan

Just now, KhunLA said:

I kind of like hearing them in the AM, though I'm up early anyway.  Strangely, none near us, or that I hear.  A few next to the last hotel we were at.  Beats loud motorbikes buzzing by in early rush hour.

Guy up the street from me years ago had 3 or 4 fighting cocks he kept in front of his house.... can't say I ever found the noise pleasing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Na Fan said:

Some neighbors just outside of our village have chickens. And loud roosters. And they don't care.

So now recently, one of them, the loudest one, started escaping and showing up at our house at 5AM screaming around every 30 seconds.

Wife told them repeatedly, and they don't care.

Today wife went outside to chase the chicken away. Chicken had other ideas.

Wife outside. Chicken in the f'n kitchen. At 5:30AM.

Wife does them dishes thai style - in a huge pile. Yeah you can imagine how that turned out.

Jokes aside, this really isn't fun. It's not how I intend to spend my morning.

We caught the little rascal now. But what do we do?

Is there someone that can help here? I'd imagine we could call the cops and say we have no idea whose chicken this is, and they might take him to the BBQ?

Do we now need to disinfect the whole kitchen? Is TB still a thing?

Chicken soup

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Better, as suggested, just stop them from accessing you 'kitchen' area.  It's called 'chicken wire' for a reason. 

Actually should screen in the whole area anyway, as chickens are your least thing to worry about.  

• Like 1

Too bad it's a rooster.  We have a hen that showed up at our doorstep and began eating our cats' food.  Then she went into our laundry room and starting laying an egg every day.  We began removing the eggs. Then she disappeared and 21 days later she shows up with a dozen chicks.  As long as they are well fed they stay out of our flower beds.  Our two cats have learned to ignore them.  Time to find someone who wants the chicks.

Two issues here: 

1) Noise from neighbors' roosters in the morning.  Pretty much anywhere, if you live in a rural area you're gonna hear roosters.  Fact of life; live with it.

2) Escapee rooster in your kitchen.  It's your kitchen.  You have a perfect right to kill the thing and eat or bury it.  Neighbors just need to control their property better.

• Like 2

Chickens are only a problem if they are not giving me eggs anymore. Then I eat them.

Just wake up at the same time, it is a good time anyway, and buy a dog to make sure the chicken stays away. Problem solved.

It amazes me how in 2023 western people their problem are things like a animal, or a tree taking their sun shine away, even it was there already for decades.

If you really hate it that much, pay up 2K baht for some wood and net stuff, build them a nice chicken house, neighbors might even like you forever after that. They can then keep the loud ones in the dark longer too. Don't expect them to do that themself, it's your issue.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Na Fan said:

We caught the little rascal now. But what do we do?

Take 1 medium onion, peel and finely chop, sauté gently with a knob of butter, add a few sprigs of sage, de-leaved and chopped, add 4oz of fresh breadcrumbs, add more butter if needed.

Clean the little rascal inside and out, then stuff above mixture where the sun doesn't shine.

Place inside a pre-heated oven for 1 hour, baste every 20 minutes until cooked.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing you can do except ask the neighbor and/or village headman (or equivalent).

Will the situation improve? Highly unlikely.

Show your appreciation to the village headman with a few bottles (or one expensive one) and _maybe_ your chances for success improve slightly. 

Dispatch it.

Make chicken stock out of it.

1 whole carrot, 1 onion, sprig celery.

chop chicken up, simmer for 4-5 hours, skim fat off as you go.

Keep the gobs shut about the chicken.

More will come in time.

repeat as required.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Seriously, chooks are a fact of life in Thailand, take steps to keep the beast out of your home.

Agree,  find it difficult to understand why one would settle in a Thai  village, when he can't stand the sound of chicken and dogs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1