Barclays Bank to close UK accounts for British expats

webfact

image.jpeg

Barclays Bank has announced its decision to terminate the UK current and savings accounts for British expatriates living overseas, a move that comes after a review of the bank’s international offerings initiated in 2021.

This will affect numerous British citizens residing in countries like Thailand, among others.

Affected customers have received official communication from Barclays giving them a six-month period to prepare and make necessary arrangements. While the decision has left some customers disappointed, Barclays maintains that its UK banking products are specially tailored for residents in Britain.

A Barclays spokesman said: “We will no longer be offering personal current or savings accounts to retail customers with addresses registered with us outside of the United Kingdom, subject to limited exceptions. We are contacting impacted customers to give them advance notice of this decision and explain the next steps they need to take.”

Top: File Photo

Full story: Hua Hin Today 2023-09-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Never tell a bank where you live use the account to withdraw/transfer or use the "ATM" card here maintain a UK address at all costs its not rocket science ????

Maintaining a UK address is different to being a UK resident for tax purposes or living in the UK, which is what High Street banks require.

Some of the newer Fintech banks are less strict and being able to list a UK address will suffice.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

^^^ You would also need to use banking app behind a VPN and never use credit card if you went down that road. Have always told HSBC where I am since they suspended a card when used here in Thailand as safety measure. In regard to the OP, would suggest transferring to a real bank. ????

Will see what happens to my HSBC account!! Mine is an account especially for people living outside of the UK, opened before I left the UK. They still know I have a house in UK

I had an investment account in the USA that put a freeze on my account when mail got returned from a USA address. They watch for postal mail getting rejected and sent back to them. They must register it in the computer somewhere.

One would think they would just discard rejected mail ????

I updated the address and they unfroze it.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

HSBC began this years ago, but as an existing and decades long customer I was allowed to keep my account. They have a Thai address for me and sent me some forms to sign about 2-3 years ago, witnessed by a lawyer. I didn't get their first communication because the local postman was burning the mail instead of delivering it, but a second attempt slipped through. I called them as the deadline for returning the forms was near and they were very pleasant to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Never tell a bank where you live use the account to withdraw/transfer or use the "ATM" card here maintain a UK address at all costs its not rocket science ????

Agreed and use a company like Wise to make any transfers. Not rocket science.

• Like 2

Just now, Jackbenimble said:

you think they can't see where you're withdrawing your money from? 

It amazes me how the blokes who don't "live" here think their stuff is not traceable, especially the ones with a retirement visa in their passport.....????.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is not new news.

It all happened on the 31 Aug - 6 September. (2023)

The snatched over 5,000 pounds from my account, and after phone calls and filling in an online form they have now agreed to send the money, that went into a central fund, into my designated branch in another UK bank.

Yes, they did send me a notification, but who reads all those 'be careful of scam' messages they  send?

????

• Sad 1

As I posted in another thread, Barclays is currently allowing some customers to keep their accounts:-

Under the latest closures, those with cash ISAs and fixed-rate bonds will be able to keep their accounts unless they live in Estonia, Italy, the Netherlands or Slovakia.

The same rule applies to mortgage and loan holders with the UK wing of the bank. However, existing home loan customers will not be able to remortgage when their term ends.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/barclays-debank-british-expats-134809331.html?guccounter=1

Remains to be seen whether they'll let people with a Stocks & Shares ISA keep their accounts (Guess I'll wait to see if they write to me saying they're going to close my account). 

Just now, quake said:

Can you pay your uk government pension into a wise account ?

and a private pension ?

any one know.

State Pension yes (But you can have it directly paid into your Thai account if you like) Private Pension it depends on your Pension provider, some guys have reported success, others have said their provider says No...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

State Pension yes (But you can have it directly paid into your Thai account if you like) Private Pension it depends on your Pension provider, some guys have reported success, others have said their provider says No...

Ok, thank you.