Joe Biden makes history by joining UAW picket line

Social Media

image.png

US President Joe Biden has backed striking cars workers in Michigan during a visit to their picket line - a first for a sitting US president.

Mr Biden said that the workers "deserve" raises and other concessions they are seeking.

The visit comes a day before his would-be challenger, Donald Trump, is due to arrive.

But workers told the BBC they felt the rivals might politicise the strike, and urged them to "just stay away".

In brief remarks to the picketing workers on Tuesday, the Democratic president said that they "deserve the significant raise you need and other benefits".

He added that the workers should be doing as "incredibly well" as the companies that employ them.

While US lawmakers - and presidential candidates - frequently appear at strikes to express solidarity with American workers, it is considered unprecedented for a sitting president to do so.

Some workers said they hoped the attention from Mr Biden and his rival would help their cause, but others dismissed the visits as political stunts aimed at getting votes, which would have little practical impact on the negotiations.

"We would much rather neither of them showed up," longtime Ford worker Billy Rowe told the BBC. "We don't want to divide people and when you bring politics into it, it's going to cause an argument."

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Uncle Joe has a long history of being pro union and pro workers rights.

Of course he wants the votes of union members and workers nationally. 

It would be weird if he didn't.

He make a great contrast to tax cuts for the rich, fake populist, demagogic grifter Mr. Trump.

Does Joe often join picket lines or is it just this once ?

Does Joe have a habit of  standing shoulder to should with the workers and is that his primary concern for attending or does he just want to win the Michigan vote ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Guffman said:

He made it illegal for the railroad workers to strike which ensured that they would never get any paid sick days. He couldn't care less about the average working person and if you think he does, you must be completely out of your mind. 

He only did this stunt to try and stop his slipping poll numbers. Simple as.

I must be out of my mind then. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

First time.

It's obviously a campaign event. 

What's your problem with a campaign event?

Again it's not only about Michigan but yes Michigan is a very important swing state.

Hillary Clinton made the fatal mistake of not doing enough to win Wisconsin.

No democrat is ever likely to make that kind of mistake again. 

Workers are on strike and Joes is just using them for a photo opportunity and for self publicity to win votes , what other events does Joe intend to latch onto to get  publicity for votes for himself 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I will have the same opinion about Trump if he goes there tomorrow . 

Will you be changing your opinion if Trump goes there tomorrow ?

Will it then become just a crass photo shoot for self publicity ?

Will he be joining the picketing workers? 

I doubt he would, but if he does, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

All I've heard from him so far about the strike is cynical fear mongering against the adoption of electric vehicles.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The truth is that Biden explicitly supported sick leave for the workers. Your claim that his motive was to deny them sick leave is false.

I clearly didn't say that was his motive. It was the end result of his actions though.