PM to donate his salary to charitable foundations

webfact

19 hours ago, webfact said:

his monthly income – a total of 125,590 baht (comprising a 75,590-baht salary and a 50,000-baht position allowance), to charitable foundations.

Now Prawit earned less than the above but banked 5 million a year for FIVE year before they stopped having to declare their assets.

20 hours ago, JoePai said:

He would have paid tax on that so in actual fact he is only giving away 80k odd each month - a drop in the ocean for him

he's trying to make up for all that tax he evaded on the Siri land deals. Now if we could only get Thaskin to repay all the tax he evaded on the sale of the satellite rights to Telemask, this country might have a chance. Nobody pays taxes here, except the salaried (and us expat peasants who have taxable income).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess everyone knows that the PM's salary is insignificant. It's the opportunity for you and your cronies to rob the country blind that really matters.

I'm not expecting this government to be any different from previous ones in this regard.

So I'll go with "meaningless gesture attempting to score points".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Yes. Quite.

However it would be better if Strettha were to do this quietly without making a big issue of it.

How can he do anything quietly, the media are breathing up his ar$e 24/7, so whatever he does is reported. 

For me, he shouldn't be in that position, but at least some small benefit will come from it. 

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Do you have a link to that? I doubt that very much, 

Chuwit's claims early August.

Many stories, a few threads here too.

https://mgronline.com/onlinesection/detail/9660000069904

https://thailand.postsen.com/news/167771/Chuwit-exposes-Srettha-Thavisin-tax-evader-causing-hundreds-of-millions-of-damage-to-the-state.html

• Thumbs Up 1

If this man were serious about helping others, he would have already been donating somewhere in the range of 50 million baht per year, minimum, when you take into account his net worth. Many wealthy people do this worldwide. Why not Thailand? So, what he is doing is a PR stunt. Let us call him out for exactly that.

Granted this is better than nothing. And hopefully it might set an example for others.

• Like 1

Is it possible the guy is actually a decent human being and maybe even competent? He has made a fortune in business so has no need for brown envelopes. Can he be held responsible for the lack of ethics of others?

I am prepared to give him a chance and it should not be forgotten that if Pita's MFP had formed a coalition Government this fella would likely be 2nd in command.

• Thumbs Up 1

It reminds of the time when Thaksin had just sold the shares in AIS, which he didn't own, to Singapore for Bt 73,000,000,000. He went to Isaan and was photographed giving an old lady Bt 3,000. She was extremely grateful to him for what was four millionths of 1 percent of what he had in his bank.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The prime minister’s monthly pay includes 75,590 baht in salary and 50,000 baht in entitlement pay in addition to allowances to be provided for his chairing or attending official meetings.

Now I understand why they are wanting to tax "farang".
Many retirees living here earn more then the PM of Thailand 555

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JoePai said:

He would have paid tax on that so in actual fact he is only giving away 80k odd each month - a drop in the ocean for him

Depending to where he donate his money. Some charities is tax deductible. Rotary Club of Bangkok foundation is one example of that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yes. Prayut did. Compared to the backhanders, Prayut's and Srettha's salary were and are small change. It's not a "Decent gesture." It's populist grandstaning.

I would still like to know what the former unelected PM's bank accounts are like now compared to in 2014.

• Love It 1

The art of war!  

I represent the people,  first I-Pad,  raise minimum wage to 400 baht,  now I give my salary. 

Great investment return will be in the billions.????

First Year Puppet Chan O reported he had  a Billion U. S.  In Swiss bank. 

Only a dreamer to in love to see what he is doing.  K

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Do you have a link to that? I doubt that very much, 

try checking the reports in the media. if you want to split hairs - its half way between avoidance and evasion. One land deal going through 12 nominees? and it is non-transparent, assuming you're with me on what that means. aka ''the smell test'' .

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, JoePai said:

Not only that but by donating his remuneration he gets a tax break - double tax break if donated to hospitals, schools or youth organizations.  So his 80k donations become only 24k if donated the right way because he must be paying 35% on his other income, although his dividends from Sansiri are taxed at a flat rate of only 10%.  

Everything about Srettha seems to be designed by Thaksin's spin doctors to have something new to appeal to the old red shirt loyalists on the evening news every day but nothing for the young voters.  He just looks like a 2D carboard cut out wheeled around from event to event.  After the meeting for him to confirm his nomination of the police chief following the Big Joke controversy, reported were told to wait for hours to interview him by the government PR staff.  He just rushed past them without saying a word to avoid answering questions on what criteria made him recommend the candidate he did, doing nothing to allay suspicions it was all decided by others and he had no say in his own recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

It's not nice to make it known in a press release, only done for PR reasons. Why not do it and keep quiet about it?

So true and had he made private donations to needy foundations, it would probably have been made public by the press etc and stood him in good stead / kudos . What he has done is a planned way to make him appear a generous good person with his donation being minuscule in comparison to his wealth .  BTW , I have tried to explain the meaning of CHARITY to my lady , up here in Issan . It is something that she has never heard of before .and when I explained that in the western world there are many charitable institutions , she was amazed .  

So you expect someone to run a country on that salary,

I cook food for people and earn double his salary and I think I'm under paid for what I do  

No wonder the country is so corrupts and brown envelopes are going back and forth, 

Wish I had a few envelopes to subsidies my salary ???????????? 

In a way, it is admirable. The question is, where he is donating it too.

On the other hand, it is just peanuts for him.

Early this year, Srettha stepped down as CEO and president of his family’s company, Sansiri, one of Thailand’s largest property developers with assets worth over 100 billion baht ($2.9 billion). He also transferred all of his shares, reportedly valued at more than 1.2 billion baht ($35 million), in the company to his daughter.

The recipient of an MBA from Claremont Graduate University in the U.S., Srettha led Sansiri to a record profit of over 4 billion baht ($117 million) in 2022.