Did everything by the book - 11,000 baht fine today

7 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Do  you have a blue   passport-sized book?  If  not you don't have a workpermit.

Not necessarily. They have digital work permits for a few years now. I don't have a paper based work permit but I do have a work permit. But yes, work permits are not granted by immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

In 2022 I got my work permit from the Nonthaburi Immigration Office. I went back in 2023 and they said the stamps are wrong and I have to pay a 11,000 baht overstay fine (even though I was doing 90 days on time and had a valid work permit + a stamp from the Thai embassy in Laos + airport stamps).

I thought it was kind of odd that she pushed aside the school documents and immediately started to flick though my passport port.  Stamp by stamp since the first page.  It was like she knew something.

The nasty truth:  The teacher agencies pay money under the table (this is the same office that issued the work permit).  Wait a year and then purposefully find those stamps and fine you.

I have a degree and a work permit and I still get punished.

LOS - remember that term...and it is not the Land of Smiles....55555.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

In 2022 I got my work permit from the Nonthaburi Immigration Office. I went back in 2023 and they said the stamps are wrong and I have to pay a 11,000 baht overstay fine (even though I was doing 90 days on time and had a valid work permit + a stamp from the Thai embassy in Laos + airport stamps).

I thought it was kind of odd that she pushed aside the school documents and immediately started to flick though my passport port.  Stamp by stamp since the first page.  It was like she knew something.

The nasty truth:  The teacher agencies pay money under the table (this is the same office that issued the work permit).  Wait a year and then purposefully find those stamps and fine you.

I have a degree and a work permit and I still get punished.

It's a mistake to use a teacher's agency.  It is quite easy to find available jobs using the internet.  Before committing to a school, visit it and talk to other foreign teachers there.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Yme said:

The story, let alone the accusation, doesn't make much sense. Try adding some details 

"started to flick though my passport port.  Stamp by stamp since the first page.  It was like she knew something." Ha!? What have the stamps dot to do with it? 

Goodness, what a load of gibberish. English-language teacher, did you say? 

To be fair, he didn't say he was an English language teacher.  Maybe he teaches gym!

On 9/28/2023 at 1:48 PM, Chris Daley said:

...I have to pay a 11,000 baht overstay fine (even though I was doing 90 days on time...

Did you believe that "doing 90 days on time" extended your perssion to stay?

Just man up.

Look threatening, puff up like the Incredible Hulk and throw a few f---s about. Point a few fingers.

If you're lucky, the IO lady might respect that, and suggest an early morning coffee.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, Chris Daley said:

They’ll always look stamp by stamp from the first page in Nonthaburi. And they will look like they expect to find something - as I am sure they often do. This is quite normal and nothing to do with who did the previous stamps (as you now know, Immigration have absolutely nothing to do with the work permit). And I believe it is normal to check that first because if you have any outstanding issues these need to be resolved first (as a completely separate step) before you can move on to applying for the extension of stay for the length of your work permit. There is nothing suspicious about this in itself.

Nonthaburi can be annoyingly fussy and there is some corruption there, but nothing remarkable as far as I know. They seem to be much more into sending you off to get further documents than they are into asking for payment to overlook them, in my experience. Whether the teaching agency paid to get your extension of stay for the purpose of work based on the wrong type of non-O visa I don’t know - is that what you are suggesting?  I assume by stamps you mean the type of visa? But then why did you get the wrong type of visa? In Laos? 

Anyway, if you genuinely want help understanding what went wrong provide more information on what the fine is for. If it is for working on the wrong visa for a year then it seems quite generous - although why somebody there let it pass first time is a valid question and it the agency was also certainly at fault. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 7:26 PM, JaiMaai said:

You  do  not get work permits from immigration.  You get work permits from the  labour office. 

On 9/28/2023 at 7:27 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

Immigration doesn't issue work permits, only the dept of labor does. 

On 9/28/2023 at 7:35 PM, eisfeld said:

But yes, work permits are not granted by immigration.

I'm starting to get the idea that immigration does not issue work permits. Is that right? Anyone care to contribute to this idea? 

On 9/28/2023 at 10:54 PM, FritsSikkink said:

You get a work permit from the labor office NOT from immigration.

22 hours ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

I hope you can clear your post a bit. The immigration does not give work permit. 

9 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

Immigration have absolutely nothing to do with the work permit).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, amexpat said:

I'm starting to get the idea that immigration does not issue work permits. Is that right? Anyone care to contribute to this idea? 

That's right. Immigration offices do not issue work permits. They are issued by the Department of Employment at the Ministry of Labour.

• Haha 1