Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There are other things in life , not just females .

He may not want to have a girlfriend , he may not need a female to walk around holding his hand 

Is there?

No real point in coming to Thailand then, may as well stay in his home country, or at least go to a country with less restrictions concerning visas and ownership

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, bignok said:

1000 baht a day plus rent. Easy guide.

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not incl. emergencies, luxuries, or anything reminding one of a 'fun' lifestyle.

You can have plenty of fun on a 1000bt/day budget. Just not every day.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Don't belive those saying all is great, they are just either lying or trying to pursuade themselves of some long past era .

"I flocked up my time living in Thailand, and am unable to believe that anybody else could possibly have done a better job of it than me"

A little narcissistic, don't you think?

Edited by JayClay

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Especially when it comes to marriage visas.  Use to be so easy.  Now they come to your house, want to have photos of you, don't even trust their own staff, as they'll take a photo of themselves at your house number.   Make the wife get a certification that still married every year now.   Don't even trust local office to do them.

I remember it was exactly the same in CM 2010, they arrived mob handed (6 of them) for my first marriage extension, and 'raided' all the foreigners around me at the same time for not reporting their addresses.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Olmate said:

300 bht week covers a non dodgy agent, no idea about dodgy ones,do you? 

154b pw (8K pa) if you meet all of the financial/insurance requirements,  241b pw (12,500 pa) if you don't meet the financial requirements + another 50bpw (2,500b pa) if you're on a Non-OA & don't have the insurance. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That looks like one of the poor ones, at 80yo you're looking at 300k+ a year for good insurance, at 60yo around 60k

50-60K at 60 is my expectation, when I renewed this year (just before my 57th birthday) I paid 31K (after a 10% no claims discount) which has 3.5M inpatient (no outpatient) cover & a 100K deductible.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That looks like one of the poor ones, at 80yo you're looking at 300k+ a year for good insurance, at 60yo around 60k

At 56 I get 5m coverage with 200k deductible.  I've used the company twice the last 10 years and one was for 2 week stay in ER. and another 2 weeks in a private room.  Pretty much handsoff and nearly 100% of the bills paid.  The high deductible is a recent adjustment because anything under 200k is not a  major worry.  I'm extremely heathy and since giving up cycling ( too many  broken bones) my health is much more predictable.

There are bad outcomes that can be had at any insurance company.  Many nightmare stories on this forum but we are only hearing one side of the story.   I've been fortunate  I guess and never experienced an issue.  If I was an alcoholic (borderline in my case ), had high blood pressure or any of the issues that being overweight brings, insurance would be a much more tiresome process.   

I do many stupid thing and venture to say I'm stupider than the next guy but I seem to have stumbled into good health and reap the benefits which one is insurance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

I am sure it can be done most places for 60k, depending on his lifestyle.

That said, having been an expat in the Philippines for a long time, I would possibly consider that a better option, at that income level.

I spent about 70%, there, compared to what I do in Pattaya, and you can literally stay there for 3 years with no visa at all, leave for a day and come back for another 3, ad infinitum.

It does depend on your lifestyle, though.  If you love Thai food and hate Filipino food (not uncommon), obviously that wouldn't work for you.  But it's extra attractive for Americans as the culture (and food imports) are kind of geared towards them, where Pattaya, at least, is much more brit-centric.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand, too.  I am living in Thailand now, with my Filipina girl.  But if I was concerned about my income (or they change the visa rules too much), I wouldn't hesitate to move back to the Philippines.

Where in the Philippines would you move to and why?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But immigration want us to use agents!

BMT Correct 100%. Its easy money for them and they don't have to deal with the smelly farang face to face. If the agent visas were discontinued the Imm officers would lose a pile of money and their offices would become very busy.

3 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I live on Samui and spend less than that so I would suggest your friend could live anywhere in Thailand on 60,000 Thai Baht per month. I include rent, food, Wi Fi, electricity, motorbike petrol, and at lease two large bottles of beer per night.

Exactly. 50,000 is enough

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As long as he does not need to have a girlfriend, he will be fine, outside of Bangkok. A woman will absorb half that amount each month. Just the basics. Pay for play is ALOT cheaper than a GF. 

Depends on gf style.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

True, you've lost your sex drive most guys haven't so women are a big consideration 

Maybe he hasn't lost his sex drive. He might have just lost the drive to waste his time and money on the boring, predictable third rate experience most farangs get caught up in.

1 minute ago, BusyB said:

Maybe he hasn't lost his sex drive. He might have just lost the drive to waste his time and money on the boring, predictable third rate experience most farangs get caught up in.

You need to change your experiences.

Most of mine have been NOTHING like yours.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You need to change your experiences.

Most of mine have been NOTHING like yours.

MY experiences have been different - just observing the wildlife that's all. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm living in CM with wife and son, plenty to spare on 50k/ month.

3bed house 10kbht, plenty to choose from in the 6-12 range.

I only eat English/Indian/German food.

If I were living alone, I doubt I'd spend more than 30kbht.

Wonder what all you big spenders waste your money on?

Obviously you are not living in a Land & Houses or equivalent development…

are you enjoying your pool, tennis courts and gym?

any issues with soi dogs or break away window bars?

• Sad 3

"no p4p" means... Purina for Professionals or Pay for Performance? Give me a break, I've no clue what you're on about.

Yes, he should be able to make it here on 60k/month baht.  (not living on Sukhumvit or Sathorn areas)

But then I've called Thailand home for 26 years and haven't been anyplace but Laos, Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia for the past 5 years and that was for immigration purposes only.

• Thanks 1