TAT considers actions needed to restore tourist confidence in Thailand

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

How about a transparent democratically elected government that would take the issues of corruption and injustice out of the equation so that tourists would feel they were not just cash cows for Thai economics.

I really think this about getting Chinese (the one's with the money) here. Not sure they (the Chinese) care about what's going on here. Never have before.  The bigger thing is the Chinese economy. Narritive is not to say it's not so good. We all know that the narritive must be adhered to so blame it on something else.

8 hours ago, atpeace said:

Ironically all you say is true and has been true for decades but Thai tourism numbers have grown exponentially.  They seem to have zero impact and many I surmise it may be why they come. 

Been here 25 years and never been too inconvenienced by the corruption ( I beg cops not to give me a ticket and take a bribe ).  Opened  bank accounts easy years ago and last year.  The TM and 90 day notices take me 30 minutes each year.  Arguably the easiest country to retire for "me" but I'm sure my situation is deferent than most.  Guess I'm lucky.  Sorry it so difficult for you - that kinda suckss

Must be nice to not have to put 800K in a Thai bank and not worry about future taxes..before they changed the rules for westerners I used to do the same. But, even then if you travel and get caught out of your zone then the 90 day and TM are an absolute nightmare. For someone like you that never goes anywhere and never travels then it must be heaven.  I get this mental picture of you sitting on your porch in your rocker thinking you are the luckiest guy alive...

Edited by Gknrd
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Denim said:

How about a transparent democratically elected government that would take the issues of corruption and injustice out of the equation so that tourists would feel they were not just cash cows for Thai economics.

All the best and good luck with that????

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is working on a plan to restore foreign tourist confidence in Thailand, after assessing the impacts of the Siam Paragon shopping mall shooting on the Thai tourism sector.

Ordering the airlines in Thailand to drop their fleecing air flight costs by 25-50% would be a good start after putting them up 80-100%

Regardless of the shooting, the days of bulk tourists coming to any country are gone. 
Was in Pattaya last week, and being a golden week for travel for China, Korea and Japan - it was so quiet on Beach Road. Scattered family from Hong Kong and 1-2 China family.. dinner time was quiet. Restaurant n hotel were all local residents. 

• Like 1