Torsak Sukvimol: The controversial rise of Thailand’s new police chief

snoop1130

FBIG-Post-Thai-PBS-World-NEW-Template-13-1024x1024.jpg

Thailand’s new police chief, Pol General Torsak Sukvimol, is a non-cadet who joined the force at the age of 33, but then quickly rose through the ranks.

Torsak, 59, is the 14th commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police since the force was upgraded from the Police Department in 1998.

He was selected in a vote by the Police Commission, chaired by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, on September 27, replacing Pol General Damrongsak Kittipraphat whose compulsory retirement came at the end of September. Torsak’s appointment won royal endorsement on September 30.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, proton said:

Are they claiming the controversial rise was due to buying his positions?

No. Connections.  But he seems not bad compared to many other reprehensible characters who have been in this job.  He reinstated the old police haircut rule, so they don't need the backs and sides shaved once a week.

Looks like it was most important to appoint someone whose allegiance isn't primarily to the new government, but to what's above.

That being said, I don't think any of the other deputies would have been more suitable based on merit alone. Birds of a feather.

13 hours ago, mark131v said:

Nothing at all dodgy with that when your brother is an ACM and works at the palace

Personally, I doubt that an Air Chief Marshal (aka General or Admiral) has much influence with the Police Commission. In fact the police tend to resent any meddling done by any of the Thai military organizations.

5 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Personally, I doubt that an Air Chief Marshal (aka General or Admiral) has much influence with the Police Commission. In fact the police tend to resent any meddling done by any of the Thai military organizations.

I disagree as in the elephant ticket scandal the palace has overall say on who gets what and crucially who doesn't...

21 hours ago, bannork said:

A brave article.

Yes.

(Not as brave as one might hope for, ideally, but Thailand and its msm media are many years away from 'ideally'......so yes, brave enough to signify something perhaps. ????????)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I won't quote it but there' one particular paragraph in the original article that says all you need to know. The one about his brother!

I will mate as it really sums things up nicely in the land of nepotism and corruption aka Thailand!

'Among his elder brothers is ACM Satitpong Sukvimol, private secretary to His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn, as well as grand chamberlain of the Royal Household Bureau and director-general of the Crown Property Bureau. Satitpong also chairs the executive board of many companies, including Siam Bioscience, Deves Insurance, and Doi Kham Food Products'