Thailand boosts tourism with free SIM cards and digital privileges for visitors

webfact

8 minutes ago, grain said:

There seems to be these endless cycles of luring more foreign visitors with gifts and easy visas, then after the foreigners numbers increase, they start making things difficult again and coming up with plans to charge the foreigners extra and bring in extra taxes. 

I think the lures aren't working. They should learn to tie flies for fly fishing instead.

• Confused 1

The Seven Elevens refuse to top up a True Sim Don Meung airport.  I have been doing this for 8 years so I was kind of confused.  I tried to walk to the True Store and some cop stopped me.  I made it to the True Store and it was run by a rural farmer that couldn't speak a word of English.  Way more complicated than I thought it would be.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

The Seven Elevens refuse to top up a True Sim Don Meung airport.  I have been doing this for 8 years so I was kind of confused.  I tried to walk to the True Store and some cop stopped me.  I made it to the True Store and it was run by a rural farmer that couldn't speak a word of English.  Way more complicated than I thought it would be.

Use Google Translate on your phone app....very helpful on a daily basis during interactions with the locals.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

designed to attract international tourists by offering them Amazing Thailand SIM card

Nice .

They just forget to mention how much a SIM card will cost ...?

Will be just another rip off . Not free , that's for sure .

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT plans to distribute one million mobile phone SIM cards

The distribution is set to start on Tuesday, October 17 this year and will go on until March 31, 2027, to all foreign visitors landing in Thailand.

They have one million sim cards to hand out "to all foreign visitors landing in Thailand" over a period of nearly six months. Are they aware that well over one million foreign visitors land in the country every month?

Edit: they actually said the distribution will go on until 2027 - so I think they'll need at least a hundred million extra cards...

Edited by khunjeff
  • Thumbs Up 1

As part of the campaign strategy, TAT plans to distribute one million mobile phone SIM cards and exclusive e-voucher privileges from partner organisations. The distribution is set to start on Tuesday, October 17 this year and will go on until March 31, 2027, to all foreign visitors landing in Thailand.

Maybe someone might like to re-think this statement or article. Only one million cards available for ALL foreign visitors during a 2.5 year period. Really? None of this makes sense - except to a Thai, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Why you not top up via the True iService app? It accepts foreign cards so no issue for tourists like yourself.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Can’t you use one of those machines outside most 7-11s (at least in Bangkok) to Top-Up or a site like https://mobiletopup.com/?l=en - used these a few times to Top-Up my AIS SIM, never had a problem.

IMG_5313.heic

Edited by Mike Teavee

Most people have good roaming deals nowadays, so it isn't necesary to buy a local sim.

Would they have to show passport and register the passport number to the sim? 

Maybe this is the "tracking device" that they once wanted all foreigners to have. For their own safety of course!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

They have one million sim cards to hand out "to all foreign visitors landing in Thailand" over a period of nearly six months. Are they aware that well over one million foreign visitors land in the country every month?

Edit: they actually said the distribution will go on until 2027 - so I think they'll need at least a hundred million extra cards...

Simple.... They (TAT) forgot to mention one very important thing.... In order to get their 'free' SIM card the tourist will have to hand over their passport, sign copies of their biographical page and visa, list where they will be staying (modified TM47) and then provide details of their bank account so that AIS can automatically charge them for any excess calls/data used.

So who in the right mind will accept this so called free handout?  Hence the sceptically low numbers of SIMS they have.

What's that old saying?  If I remember correctly it goes something like "Nothing in this world is free".

Edited by 007 RED
  • Like 1