Mixed Reactions to Russian Tourists Being Allowed to Stay Longer in Thailand

webfact

The PM has no original ideas... Just the same old same old tourism luring 🤷 we'll see how this plays out. I doubt it will make much difference one way or the other. The Russians that can and want to get out of Russia (for holiday or to escape Vlad's war) already have. And those that haven't can't or won't. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism operators in Pattaya say they are concerned about the Thai government’s visa extension program for Russian tourists as they fear it could bring in an influx of illegal workers who might steal Thai people’s jobs. In contrast, operators in Phuket believe the program will contribute additional revenue to the country.

Two sides to every coin.

• Like 1

I think the Russians aren't going home to get draughted anyway. So the Thai government will try to avoid an uncontrolable waterfall of overstayers?

Anyway, lets give the rest 90 days also. Save some visaruns  😉

• Like 2

Thai's - frightened to death of any form of competition... If they were doing their jobs properly, competition would mean nothing. 

I see this as a fair, humane and common sense response from Thai Authorities.

They eased restrictions for Covid, good move. 

With this easing of restrictions Russians will spend more money here which helps the local economy. 

Of course, the are also negative aspects such as driving up prices, but who really is 'driving up the prices' ??? - its the locals profiteering, so they have no right to complain.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism operators in Pattaya say they are concerned about the Thai government’s visa extension program for Russian tourists as they fear it could bring in an influx of illegal workers who might steal Thai people’s jobs.

Dont worry about your Jobs

Worry instead about your Business's

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

They must have got the wires crossed, Who's talking about stealing work here? only an extension from 30 days to 90 days, i can't see anything wrong with it...

I can if its only the Russians given the extension.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spock said:

I can. Why should the Russians get the extension to 90 days and not other nationalities? Personally I can't think of a nationality less deserving of favoured treatment.

Your point of view is from a western perspective, Thais are not exactly western and most of them could care less about the Ukraine war plus in their minds Russ are just " farangs" like all the other light skinned people who visit Thailand. 

• Thanks 1