Soi Bukow one-way? Nope it will never work......

redwood1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Bath bus stops don't work, they've tried it, no one wants it. Bring on the one way, but I doubt they have the balls to go through with it

Would a one way system not cause a rat run with much more speeding?

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

And if you want to go the opposite direction on the Soi Bukow one-way street?

Then what? If your walking?

I don't think the one way system would apply to people walking but i may be wrong....

29 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

if you can't walk bukcow you have mobility issues. not worth it to have baht busses blocking the street for the few elderly or disabled people who need it.

Baht bus wouldn't even make up 1 in 10 cars on soi bukhao. Public transport is by choice for everyone not just people with disability issues as you state

Edited by Pattaya57

Since a huge bus full of Chinese tourists hit me from behind, while I was standing at a red light waiting for it to turn green, completely destroying my big bike and the police officer later refusing to believe, I was sitting on the bike, when the accident occurred with the last thing, he asked me being “why you live?” I gave up riding a bike in Pattaya.

With a car it takes a bit longer to get from A to B, interestingly not much and finding a parking lot isn't a big deal too, when you know the place, plus you are protected by a lot of metal around you in case of an accident and above you, should it rain plus you breathe filtered air and not the dirt and dust from the street.

Yet, I gave up driving through Soi Buakaw. Same as Soi 6.

And from my point of view the main problem are not the Baht busses. It is those street vendors who are infesting Pattaya now by the thousands. They park wherever they want forcing the cars to wait until they can drive around them.

Even worse than in Soi Buakaw is Soi 6.

When you drive into the Soi from Second Road, they are standing in a long row next to each other on the left side down to Beach Road and deliberately leaving only so much space that a car can only drive by very carefully causing a permanent traffic jam plus most of the bars on the left side losing business big time.

Maybe once or twice a month some police car arrives causing all the vendors hurrying into Soi 6/1 and coming back seconds later once the police is gone.

I really do not understand why nobody does anything against it.

14 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I imagine any one way would be opposite direction to 2nd road?

That would suck for me as I use baht bus to go out on bukhao and then happy to walk home. That would be going the wrong way 😞

It will be impossible to please all.... and it has all been talked of before, be it one way, banning songthaews or bus stops. A big part of the issue is no pavement..... 

They once said making Second Rd one way would never work.....

I am surprised we don't get a lot of broken pedestrian bones on Buakhao.

1 hour ago, Somjot said:

Since a huge bus full of Chinese tourists hit me from behind, while I was standing at a red light waiting for it to turn green, completely destroying my big bike and the police officer later refusing to believe, I was sitting on the bike, when the accident occurred with the last thing, he asked me being “why you live?” I gave up riding a bike in Pattaya.

With a car it takes a bit longer to get from A to B, interestingly not much and finding a parking lot isn't a big deal too, when you know the place, plus you are protected by a lot of metal around you in case of an accident and above you, should it rain plus you breathe filtered air and not the dirt and dust from the street.

Yet, I gave up driving through Soi Buakaw. Same as Soi 6.

And from my point of view the main problem are not the Baht busses. It is those street vendors who are infesting Pattaya now by the thousands. They park wherever they want forcing the cars to wait until they can drive around them.

Even worse than in Soi Buakaw is Soi 6.

When you drive into the Soi from Second Road, they are standing in a long row next to each other on the left side down to Beach Road and deliberately leaving only so much space that a car can only drive by very carefully causing a permanent traffic jam plus most of the bars on the left side losing business big time.

Maybe once or twice a month some police car arrives causing all the vendors hurrying into Soi 6/1 and coming back seconds later once the police is gone.

I really do not understand why nobody does anything against it.

People want those street vendors there, police chases them away during COVID, didn't work. I'd never drive a car through Pattaya, just a traffic nightmare, bikes are best, just need to increase your riding skill, I see many making mistakes

• Thumbs Up 2

This would make sense... but in 25 years, I don't think I've ever seen anything here that makes sense! One-way north-to-south on that stretch on Buakhaow. It wouldn't hurt to be one-way on Soi 13 onto Buakhao and Soi Lengkee off to Third Road too.

(Not suggesting Third Road should be one-way... just can't be arsed to go back and edit my image.)

Could contain:

Edited by sabai-dee-man

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That doesn't make any sense, scooters aren't causing congestion problems

That's true, but too many of them are going too fast and not taking into account that there are no sidewalks and people are crossing the road all the time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

The street is a @hitshow in the evenings. They should shut down the street starting at 8:00pm and just make it a walking street. People speeding and nowhere to walk. Very dangerous.

I lived on it and it's very dangerous because it's too narrow for two way traffic.

Making it one way might make it safer, so a good thing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You have to realize a large percentage of traffic is tourists who would not know how to plan their routes to any specific location on Buakhao. The people who plan their routes will certainly travel further to get to their destinations, adding to traffic density, and the tourists will be running loops to find their destinations.

Nothing new here, what happens when you visit a new country or location you have never been to before?

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived on it and it's very dangerous because it's too narrow for two way traffic.

Making it one way might make it safer, so a good thing.

i could care less about the traffic. it's the lack of sidewalks that bothers me.  never figured out who people need to drive everywhere here. get off the baht bus on the nearby main streets and walk. burn off some calories.

they could even just ban parking on the street certain hours which would create a lot of space. much of the roadway is blocked by scooters parked on both sides of the street. that's doable in thailand, no parking signs and ticket sweeps.

ticket sweep at 8pm, people come back, but it's much less, and the vehicles that just sit there are gone. it also moves those scooters out of the way for pedestrians (we need to walk around those now towards traffic).

Edited by JimTripper

39 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Everybody is forgetting that this is Thailand. 

The authorities may decide to make Buakhaow one-way and erect all the appropriate signage.  Locals and foreigners would ignore the signs, mayhem would ensue for two days and the signs would be removed.

This is exactly what happened in Jomtien about a decade ago. https://www.pattayamail.com/news/jomtien-beach-road-goes-one-way-nov-12-for-a-month-42560

From memory, the "trial" lasted a few days.  

As to restricting parking - Thais don't park their car, they merely cease driving. :coffee1:

A few years ago a road in my small town/village was made one way apart from motorcyclists, which was the right decision, but they never put signage up in the small ajoining streets which means that any non locals are not going to know they are turning in to a oneway system which means that even today it is a regular occurance to see cars going along the road against the traffic causing mayhem.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It will be impossible to please all.... and it has all been talked of before, be it one way, banning songthaews or bus stops. A big part of the issue is no pavement..... 

They once said making Second Rd one way would never work.....

I am surprised we don't get a lot of broken pedestrian bones on Buakhao.

How do you know they don't, if someone gets knocked down on Buakhao, who is going to know about it? Where is it reported?

40 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

One-way for cars maybe....it'll remain two-way for motorbikes regardless.

I agree.....People are not going to take a massive detour when going against traffic would be so much more convenient...

Edited by redwood1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One-way north to south, with all the side sois one way, alternating from 3rd to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd - as those from Beach to 2nd do.  Raised pedestrain walkway on at least one side for the entire length (with no street furniture), designated and marked loading bays for deliveries.  Separate and marked scooter parking.   Remove pretty much ALL areas for cars to park to reduce incentives for anyone to travel there in a car (though the large carpark at the market end could be expanded and controlled for those who wish or ned to bring a car in).  Maybe even add in a moveable barrier at the north end of Tree Town to stop all through traffic from about 5PM.  Would make the road more enjoyable and safer for all without impeding those who need to transit too much

But, of course, to work would need to be enforced - sadly little chance of that.

PH

• Like 1