Most People Favour Closing Night Venues At 2 A.M.: NIDA Poll

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The poll, recently conducted with a total of 1,310 people from all walks of life in all regions of the country, has found 41.7% of the respondents say entertainment venues should open until 2.00 a.m. as currently legally allowed.

That compared to 41.1% of the respondents who say entertainment places should legally open until 4.00 a.m. as planned by the Pheu Thai-led government.

I can understand people objecting to something if it impacts them.  

Why would I care that an establishment stays open until 4:00 am vs 2:00 am.  Do I care if Makro stays open 24 hours a day or that Central decides to open until 3:00 am.  

I see about as much sense in limiting hours of those establishments to the law that allows alcohol sales only between 11:00 - 14:00 and after 17:00.  

A law passed in search of a need for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really think this should be optional for a bar owner.........if they want to sta ipen til 4am they should be allowed to but apply for a 4am Licence beforehand. This could be valid for either 1 night (special occasions) or a month or 6 months with a sliding cost scale. 

That would generate oncome for the RTP plus they would know where the late night revellers are going to be.

Telling a bar owner they can't stay open past 2am will just encourage some of them to break the law anyway. Make the Licence affordable and everything should run smoothly. 

It should be available to restaurant owners too.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, quake said:

Should be able to open and close as they want.

It's 2023, grow up, you control freaks.

and if you don't like living in those areas , then move.

Perhaps freaks sometimes need to be controlled?  For those non drunks, seeking company, earlier closing is often an advantage.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, retarius said:

But screw what most people want, what do the rich and powerful want? TIT.

What is "most" people in your mind.  As I read the survey results it was 41.1% favored a 4:00 closing 41.7% a 2:00 am closing.  

I would hardly call that a mandate 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many of those people are able to make informed decisions. Do they regularly go out at night? Late? Or maybe their children? Do they live in a nightlife area, and will a different closing time make a difference to them? Or is it just: They shouldn’t do that!
Personally, I go out from time to time, but not as much anymore as I used to. And it’s a long time ago that they closed any bar while I was still there.
When this discussion about changing from 2am to 4 am came up I asked one of the girls in Nana what she thinks about that. And she told me now they close already at 3am and not 2am. The same was confirmed by a friend in Soi Cowboy. I wonder how many of the people in this survey know details like that. I guess very few. So, they make decisions based on what?

I was in Nana last week and they closed at 2am. I stayed at Nana hotel.

A few street bars with food pushing their luck but no main venues and the police came along with lights flashing at 1.50am!

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

If everywhere was allowed to open until 6am you would have nearly every bar sitting there with no customers so they would close anyway.

I vaguely remember 10 years ago watching the sunrise at a tiny sidewalk bar on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 7/1. Along with numerous other patrons, and, of course, the girls. Bangkok truly never slept. I would not even entertain the idea of such a feat today, but I am sure there is a wave of younger guys behind me who are perfectly willing to step into that void.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

There will be hundreds of people trying to sleep (unsuccessfully) for the very few drunks drinking at 5 or 6 AM to loud music, if this was allowed.

With the thousands of budding alcoholics in Thailand (almost inevitable in places like Patts) it's about urging them to go home at a decent hour and get some sleep, rather than keep them binging 24/7 to their (and other's) detriment.

Easily said, almost impossible to do when you own a condo in this market.

That said, I do favour a time like 2 AM for closing, because jumping from midnight to 4 AM is ludicrous, baby steps, guys!

The question is: Was the area a bar area when you bought your condo, or did the bars open AFTER you moved in?

If the former, it serves you right for moving there, if the latter then it would be good if there was some sort of "zoning law" in place.

I think there's a difference and 2AM is usually late enough for me, but why should those who want to party all night be prevented as long as the bar is in an appropriate "zone"?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Who cares what "people" want? if they're not the patrons of said establishments then their opinion is meaningless. Let patrons vote with their legs/wallets.

Patrons are not people?

I have never been one to leave it to those participating - they invariably have a vested interest in stringing out closing times.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the proper brown enveloppes, any closing time is possible in Thailand for such venues.

However, the authorities should rather focus on conducting alcohol DUI tests on all drivers and stop focusing on elderly farangs on rented scooters or vehicles  during daytime just to racket money.

The problems have nothing to do with hours of closure It's about allowing people to drink and Drive on DUI and not conduct proper road checks in these areas, Start checking drivers at night and stop harassing tourists or foreigners in clubs or on the street,

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch

In My Opinion, only alcoholics and true P*ss Tanks need more time to drink beyond 2 AM. In Jomtien Beach I

was kept awake by a bar noise until 2 am, and that was late enough. There was some sports activity taking place in Europe and

the Euro types were across the street yelling and cheering until 2. Thankfully most Winters are more peacefule.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yet another nonsense survey of absolute irrelevance. 2'000+ Thais from "all walks of life" and "all corners of the Kingdom" ........... does anyone seriously go for this smokescreen again?

The government should keep its nose out of all this; the market regulates such issues automatically. If, repeat  I F  there are operators willing to run their business all night - so be it and otherwise they will close up for the night at 11pm, midnight or whenever.  If, repeat  I F  there are customers for such business hours, then the operators will follow suit. No rocket science here but then again, who will tell those goons and clowns in the parliament building ............... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

In My Opinion, only alcoholics and true P*ss Tanks need more time to drink beyond 2 AM. In Jomtien Beach I

was kept awake by a bar noise until 2 am, and that was late enough. There was some sports activity taking place in Europe and

the Euro types were across the street yelling and cheering until 2. Thankfully most Winters are more peacefule.

Step one: get a place in a tourist town, in a tourist area, known to have wild parties until late at night. Probably a low-rise too while at it.

Step two: complain about it.

I'm currently in a high-rise in Pratumnak. Couldn't be quieter up here.