Anutin: crackdown on illegality extends to the nightlife sector; no more graft or pay-to-play

webfact

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think we all know this is not going to happen, and if it does it will require daily enforcement or it will fail.

In the past I drank in a late night bar and one cop came around telling them to close, now this was late and this cop was so full of himself that when they dimmed the lights in each of the little Soi 22 bars and turned the music off he was satisfied and went on his way - presumably he went home early or back to the station after this.

As soon as he went the lights came on and the music started up again and he never once came back to check that people weren't simply ignoring him - which they all were 🤣

Been there too...These days are gone since quite a while now..Times, people, society as a whole changed. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

he vowed that the days of pay-to-play corruption for illegal operators were over.

:cheesy::cheesy:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Minister of the Interior in the present cabinet said the buying influence or protection era was over.

:cheesy::cheesy: 

• Thanks 1

"Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul hailed last weekend’s raid on a notorious nightclub in Pathum Thani as an example of his ministry’s crackdown on illegality, which now extends into the nightlife industry. Anutin has called on the public to tip off authorities concerning other locations as he vowed that the days of pay-to-play corruption for illegal operators were over.

A Get Tough policy on nightlife operators is coming as the Minister of Tourism and Sports is pushing for 4 am closing hours for tourism hotspots with public opinion evenly divided and a small minority who want to see all nightlife in Thailand shut.

Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has announced that the national crackdown being driven by his ministry is being extended into illegal activity within the nightlife sector following an early morning raid last Sunday, which shuttered a notorious venue in Pathum Thani, which saw its operators arrested and 137 out of 297 people detained testing positive for illegal narcotics. The Minister of the Interior in the present cabinet said the buying influence or protection era was over. The move comes as the public is evenly split over a revived government proposal to allow an 4 am closing time for nightlife operators in tourist hotspots currently being proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the Minister of Interior in the new government, welcomed a raid early on Sunday morning which shuttered an illegal entertainment venue in Pathum Thani province near Bangkok.

Guess what? This post is about an early morning raid on an illegal entertainment venue in Pathum Thani! Really? I would never have guessed! Maybe that's why they had to tell me  THREE (3) times in four paragraphs just to make sure that I got the gist of the story!!!

And maybe it's coincidence that Anutin got his name mentioned 3 times as well as being promoted to PM in the final paragraph? 

10 hours ago, save the frogs said:

9 pm to 4 am gives you 7 consecutive hours to party. how much more do you need?

why do you need to stay up all night? are you a vampire? 

I don't.

You see I'm old. done with all that many moons ago.

But I can speak up for the younger generation.

As I still remember what fun was like when I was young.

Unlike some of the old farta with Dementia on AN.

Happy Zimmer Frames to all. :giggle:

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Opinion polls routinely have Anutin below the 3% approval threshold.

He definitely shouldn't even be in the position he's in. 

He doesn't bother about opinion polls. 

It is not necessary to have high ratings in the opinion polls. The the Constitution out, I'll bet it doesn't even mention opinion polls as part of the election process or the process of forming a government, Indeed I'm not aware of any country with a constitution that says opinion poll approval ratings are any requirement for office.

As for your opinion of Anutin, I agree entirely that he is unsuitable for the office of market stall holder. 

4 hours ago, quake said:

I don't.

You see I'm old. done with all that many moons ago.

But I can speak up for the younger generation.

As I still remember what fun was like when I was young.

Unlike some of the old farta with Dementia on AN.

Happy Zimmer Frames to all. :giggle:

Going to bars can be fun for sure.

There's a point of excess though.

Some people in Berlin drop dead at those all night raves. Maybe it's not as bad in Thailand. 

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

close the nightlife and the 6 tourists that are still here will be gone..

Thailand, the hub of not knowing it’s a*se from it’s elbow!

No one has proposed "closing the nightlife", they are, though, clamping down on illegal nightlife venues such as the Pathumthani pub that was consistently open, illegally, until the morning that probably never has any tourists as customers.  Which parts of the nightlife are you asserting is being closed?

14 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I would not be too quick to praise him, He is a well known Xenophobic Racist that hates Foreigners in His Country. God help us if he ever gets the top position.

Got anything specific and accurate that you can quote that backs that up?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 2

Such raids could scare tourists from visiting Thailand as no foreigner wants to be partying on holiday just to end up in a cell and being asked x thousand THB to "bail". 

So tourists in Thailand would need to stay away from nightclubs in that case ?

• Thumbs Up 1