Thai PM accuses Israeli employers of exploiting Thai workers amidst crisis

webfact

33 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Exploiting migrant workers is an occupation reserved for Thais.

Oh no it's not! It shamelessly goes on in every middle eastern country. It's an occupational hazard for all Asians working in that region.

I can understand (but do not endorse) why the employers are behaving in this manner. If they let all their employees fly the coop at this critical stage, they'll find it very difficult to re-recruit in the near future. And farms cannot function without labour.

Westernized countries tend to exploit all labor from countries like Thailand.  They get paid less than a citizen of that country.  Or worse, the employer takes their passports and refuses to give it back when requested.  Now that Israel is a hazard zone.  I'd expect hazard pay to stay.  if refused?  Bye bye. 

Then on the flip-side, is Thailand exploiting workers from Myanmar?  If the shoe was on the other foot?  How about the pay for Myanmar labor in Yala, Narathiwat, and Pattani?  Do they get hazard pay?  Higher wages?  Especially if they are Buddhist.

Just saying........

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, connda said:

Westernized countries tend to exploit all labor from countries like Thailand.  They get paid less than a citizen of that country.  Or worse, the employer takes their passports and refuses to give it back when requested. 

Pitiful generalized statement. I'm sure it happens, but it's actually human trafficking's in most western countries.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If anybody has ever negotiated any sort of deal with an Israeli they know that this kind of behavior is all together possible. They say that the difference between an Israeli and an Arab is about one DNA strand, there is some truth to that. 

If you read the bible the Israelis came from east of the Euphrates River. That would be Iraq or Iran in the modern world.

• Haha 1

Well said Srettha. About time someone took a stand for exploited workers. And about them exploiting Israeli farmers took a hit for this appalling treatment of fellow humans. I am amazed at the ignorance of some of the comments on this board.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Not very diplomatic.

Thais have been murdered and taken hostage by Hamas.

Not the best time to cause friction with the Israeli government when they have a war going on on possibly three fronts.

In the context of inviting genocidal war criminal Putin (who has sided with Iran, North Korea, and Hamas) to Thailand to have a friendly visit.

Nothing wrong with advocating for these workers but the optics of making this a public spat at this historically difficult time in Israeli history doesn't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I guess we are not supposed to ask Thailand to stop exploiting Burmese and Cambodian workers, and I guess we're not supposed to ask Thai officials to stop kidnapping and trafficking neighboring people into slavery in the sex and fishing industry. I think those questions are off limits. 

Perish the thought!

15 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Somebody needs to slap a muzzle on this clown.

Work this problem behind closed doors, or better yet, let the professionals (MoFA) handle it.

It would be good to hear if the Israeli employers have a problem keeping things together at this time. Many in the south have been murdered by Hamas terrorists or have close friends or family who have been murdered. There is now the biggest call up of reservists in Israeli history which has happened. Maybe things are so far from normal that paying anyone their regular salary is a problem at the moment. Of course workers in this situation should probably be repatriated. That's also a problem in a time of war.

I'm not sure about how many missiles are still coming in from Hamas now, but I do know they are coming from the North. 

It's of secondary interest to the world at the moment but with all those Israelis mobilized in such a small country and not working their regular jobs, naturally the Israeli economy has been hit hard.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It would be good to hear if the Israeli employers have a problem keeping things together at this time. Many in the south have been murdered by Hamas terrorists or have close friends or family who have been murdered. There is now the biggest call up of reservists in Israeli history which has happened. Maybe things are so far from normal that paying anyone their regular salary is a problem at the moment. Of course workers in this situation should probably be repatriated. That's also a problem in a time of war.

I'm not sure about how many missiles are still coming in from Hamas now, but I do know they are coming from the North. 

It's of secondary interest to the world at the moment but with all those Israelis mobilized in such a small country and not working their regular jobs, naturally the Israeli economy has been hit hard.

War can be an extremely expensive and very, very long-term prospect. A nation had better really know what they're doing when they declare war, mobilize their forces and commit on the level that Israel has now committed.

There's no way to know what the end game is or if there is even an end game. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

War can be an extremely expensive and very, very long-term prospect. A nation had better really know what they're doing when they declare war, mobilize their forces and commit on the level that Israel has now committed.

There's no way to know what the end game is or if there is even an end game. 

After October 7, Israel has no choice but to go to war.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

If you read the bible the Israelis came from east of the Euphrates River. That would be Iraq or Iran in the modern world.

Of course the bible is the source of everything factual in this world, as some would like you to believe. 

• Thanks 1