4am closing for nightlife will start New Year

snoop1130

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So as it stands...

many of my Thai friends go out at 10pm find something to eat then go to a bar and finish 2am at closing

now they will go out closer to midnight then find a bar until possibly 2am-3am as most have education or work in the morning....

tourists will like the extension for flexibility, but that doesn't always equate to more spending.. they just adjust their hours.

Exactly so!

I'm past the stage of going out at say, 8 pm then staying out all night, (age has crept up on me!) BUT as a tourist I might well have an early night, then wake up at midnight, shower and go out for 4 hours or so, maybe until dawn.

In fact  next trip i shall plan to do that a couple of times

The more flexibility, the better. People who want to drink for hours at a time can anyway  - this will afford the choice of WHEN to do your drinking / partying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Madness and brainless... death toll will rise, people will get more stressed by less good sleep, workers are getting overworked and don't get a social life anymore...and many more reasons.. Maybe they should let the people who decide this work after midnight. at least than they are doing something.. and the police?? they will be nowhere to be seen as they only work from 8 to 17.00 ...

You came perilously close to using "work" and "police" in the same sentence, but did refer to that possibility in the ensuing sentence! 🫢😬

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

You can't buy a condo next to a party zone then complain about parties. 

TIT - you can't complain about the noise period. They live gor the noise, it's what makes life worth living. 

I asked a very successful foreign bar owner what impact this 4am closing will have on his business. He's a numbers guy, so knows revenue vs costs, plus what his staff likes.

His answer: "Maybe during the high season we'll stay open until 4am on Fridays and Saturdays, but otherwise it isn't profitable."

Elsewhere, it seems the government is admitting two things:

1) Even those "dirty farangs" count as quality tourists, and tourism is one of the few things we think we can affect right now to boost the economy (4am closings, legal weed, visa-free for Indians, russkis get 90 days)

2) Though we have no prostitution in Thailand, woman accepting tributes for supplying sexual favors is an important part of Thailand's tourism appeal (put another way: "Beer goggles" will be the norm by 4am, so even the fatties from Isaan will get barfined and be able to send money back home)

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

2) Though we have no prostitution in Thailand, woman accepting tributes for supplying sexual favors is an important part of Thailand's tourism appeal (put another way: "Beer goggles" will be the norm by 4am, so even the fatties from Isaan will get barfined and be able to send money back home)

Adding to my own post, somewhat facetiously....

In the not-too-distant future, a statue of a bargirl will be erected outside the main TAT office, an admission of her importance to both the development of Thailand's modern economy and her ongoing contribution to economic growth.

I suspect bargirls had some impact when location managers came to Thailand looking for a place to set up a factory, especially in the Bangkok-Pattaya corridor. Also, even non-mongering tourists rather enjoy taking a stroll down Walking Street at night, or Soi Cowboy, Soi 4, and in years past, Patpong.

• Haha 2

Again a Thai solution "in certain areas" - leaves plenty of room for the manila enveloping of "requests". Apart from certain festivities like New Year's Eve etc. I hardly think that it will have a heavy impact on the GDP of Thailand. 

The government should concentrate on really important things; opening hours of pubs are regulated by supply and demand, i.e. operators and customers and do not need the extra "help" by some goons in clown dresses. How about putting all those laws into enforcement like DUI, no insurance/license driving and taking those coffins on wheels off the street rather than just collecting "tolls" for not wearing helmets or belching Montezuma's delight out of those mufflers from certain vehicles - to start with? 

2 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

I wonder if all the miserable old b*ggers moaning on this topic ever enjoyed late nights out in their younger days... or were always this miserable?

Well, there is an age where one comes to realize that sleep deprivation dampers sex drive and orgasms. I get my best boombooms in the afternoon, at 71 and I still manage 2 or 3 pops. 

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well,  there is an age where one comes to realize that sleep deprivation dampers sex drive and orgasms. I get my best boombooms in the afternoon, at 71 and I still manage 2 or 3 pops. 

Thanks for sharing Ben. I'm sure the 20+ year old BG's eagerly await their afternoon delights. 🙃🙃

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, farangbuffalo said:

What kind of moron would buy a condo at the base pattaya if they expect peace and quiet? 

Ask any of the 1,100 owners who bought there.

Have expat friends who live there, back in 2016 the TreeTown area was much smaller, and quiet, compared to today.

8 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

You can't buy a condo next to a party zone then complain about parties. 

Remember how few bars there was in TreeTown back in 2016 when the Base condo opened? Not many.

I don't live there, but a few expat friends do.

Open to 4am will not lead to more spending by tourists. All have a limit of alcohol intake.

Most tourists seems to go out 7-8pm for a meal, drinks, find a lady, and go back to hotel.

By 2am, a huge majority are already in their hotel.

More spending by tourists due to 4am closing time, is just a dream. Tourists still have a budget for their holiday.

The experienced tourist know that the best looking ladies has been taken out of the bars early in the evening. Yet another reason to go out early, rather than late.

Tree Town area has enough problems already. If it's not drunk tourists that create mayhem, violent security guards also make the news.

Walking Street is the only area that should be allowed to be open until 4am.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Thanks for sharing Ben. I'm sure the 20+ year old BG's eagerly await their afternoon delights. 🙃🙃

Sure, think a minute, 55 years of boomboom, one war, mountaineering, flying, diving, making money, blood and guts... No drugs...

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Headlines in about mid Jan.

" Road Deaths increase massively, the cause has been attributed to mainly Drink Driving "

Not sure if too many tourists drive or ride in entertainment areas @ 04:00, (maybe some uninsured youngies in Phuket on m/c).

Many Thai's are drunk at 4:00pm or earlier in party zones or provinces and drive/ride.

4:00am shouldn't make any difference.🙃🙃

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither will it harm the economy. 

Lots of tourists visit Thailand and Thailand relies a lot on that tourism - Doing as much as possible to accommodate all visitors is a sensible thing....  Of course, not everyone wants to be out late, but quite a lot of visitors do and accommodating that in lisenced area's doesn't hurt.

Thailand just needs to sort a few more things out such as removing dual pricing, sorting out the hassle with beach vendor,s deck-chair operators, jet-ski scammers, taxi / tuk-tuk scammers etc... 

It all adds up to more repeat visitors and few more percentage points with GDP gained from tourism and that makes a difference. 

Especially as little brown envelopes and a completely anarchistic attitude of people with and for money will ensure that zoning is interpreted by said "entrepreneurs"(as already with current closing times) ,schoolkids will be sleeping in school in the morning , workers will get their limbs torn off by machines from closed eyes and pensioners will die earlier of heart attacks and blood pressure. Not mentioning the extra portion of drunk driving, brawls and use of illegal guns , reving up of 2strokes after 4, the already increased aggressivity of frustrated and uneducated louts. Sorry, of course from 12 to 4 in the morning tourists will swarm out with their credit cards and wads of cash to throw around in open air karaokes, gogobars (if you haven't got 1 by 12 you don't want to wake up next to whatever you pick up later...) , live "music" chang promotion places, etc. Not talking about entertainment places s.a. discos that start at 11 , are built with walls and insulation, and have been doing this already with the help of said envelopes. Instead of making decent plans and developing the economy and country's production Papagallo comes up with Thaksinist harebrained schemes -early samples OFLOP or closing gas stations at 2200 to save gas- to be able to lay back and sell the rest of the country to China while everybody is out at 4 in the morning. Think you'll get the money for the other Thaksinista idea of the 10thousand Baht wallet together this way? All those "ideas" in general never find the sympathy of the people they are so concerned about, but what do "the people" know about what is good for them. And those people actually believed even the Buea Thai would be better than the cucumber troup reigning ............555, good one.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I asked a very successful foreign bar owner what impact this 4am closing will have on his business. He's a numbers guy, so knows revenue vs costs, plus what his staff likes.

His answer: "Maybe during the high season we'll stay open until 4am on Fridays and Saturdays, but otherwise it isn't profitable."

Elsewhere, it seems the government is admitting two things:

1) Even those "dirty farangs" count as quality tourists, and tourism is one of the few things we think we can affect right now to boost the economy (4am closings, legal weed, visa-free for Indians, russkis get 90 days)

It is true, not much will be earned on weekdays, but as Thai culture they don't care... Walked many times around and than a woman is screaming in the microphone and nobody is listening or even in the neighbourhood of the stand, but she pretends there a few hundreds watching and listening..So will be the same in the entertainment industry.. even if there are no guests the singers will sing and perform although nobody is there, but the shop must be open as it is allowed... 

Traditionally it was possible to stay out all night in bars if you wanted to. Go home at dawn. That all ended when Thaksin Shinwatra's government clamped down on nightlife and introduced midnight closing about 20 odd years ago. Now his team is back in charge they are reversing it. 

If you are going to do it why wait until the new year?

18 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Owners and tenants at the Base condo with a view over TreeTown bars in Pattaya, will be very happy.

Madness!

Madness to buy a condo in the center of Pattaya. 

Majority of those condos are for short term rentals to people who are visiting Pattaya to party, not to visit temples a or meditate on the beach. 

Edited by MrJ2U

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither will it harm the economy. 

Lots of tourists visit Thailand and Thailand relies a lot on that tourism - Doing as much as possible to accommodate all visitors is a sensible thing....  Of course, not everyone wants to be out late, but quite a lot of visitors do and accommodating that in lisenced area's doesn't hurt.

Thailand just needs to sort a few more things out such as removing dual pricing, sorting out the hassle with beach vendor,s deck-chair operators, jet-ski scammers, taxi / tuk-tuk scammers etc... 

It all adds up to more repeat visitors and few more percentage points with GDP gained from tourism and that makes a difference. 

Bar girls will be happy, short-time hotels will be happy, and bar staff will be happy (more tips)  

Bar owners are not so sure.  It is going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds.  It may cost them more than they make.  Add in the fact that the minimum wage is going up in the new year could be interesting.

Will there be a huge increase in revenue, when will bands and live music start?  How long will the music play?

New Year's will be interesting.

More interesting is what happens in the rest of the country are restaurants going to stay open until 4 playing music in hotel-populated areas.

Where is the entertainment area in Pattaya?  I thought the whole city was an entertainment area.

The bars that open at 10 AM are going to be interesting as they are almost going to have to hire a 3-shift system.