Thai-Ghanaian football player condemns racist Thai referee

snoop1130

329049682_1378020546276195_5580650309055837671_n.jpg

A half-Thai, half-Ghanaian Prachin Buri City football player condemned a racist Thai referee who allegedly called him a “ni**a!”

The drama erupted after the match between Prachin Buri City FC and Pluakdaeng United FC on October 29. Prachin Buri City FC player Abdulkordiri Hamit, also known as Abdul, posted on his Pog Dul Facebook account what happened.

“I can understand Thai. He scolded me so clearly: “Ni**a! Get up! You can continue, stop lying like that. Or do you want a doctor? You are a referee. You should not say that. I never got angry when people called me that, but not a referee. I am sure you have better words.”

Following his post, Prachin Buri City FC’s official Facebook page issued a statement in support of their player.

“We stand against racism. Insults about race, religion and ethnicity should not happen in Thai football. This is not the first time racism has been directed at Abdul, who is indeed a Thai national but this time it is worse because the person saying it is a referee. Every human being has emotions but they have to control them while doing their job.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Facebook/ Thanapas Pratab

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Terrible behaviour. I hope there can be a sincere apology. I feel for the person that faces silly racist remarks. I'm glad you made us all aware and how serious a matter respect is as humanity continues its dive down. All the best and score some cracker goals to show who's boss.

Could have been worse... I remember many years ago a "dark-skinned" player joined a certain London team...

when he came on the turf the apposing fans would throw bananas onto the pitch.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Reading the article, it appears the alleged slur was spoken in Thai language (“I can understand Thai. He scolded me so clearly: “Ni**a! Get up!...).

I wonder if the actual N word was spoken in the English vernacular, or if some Thai language equivalent was spoken. It also begs the question if the referee correctly understood the (English language) racial implications of his use of the word.

Personally, I've never heard a Thai use the word and I don't think they understand it - they usually revert in reference to a Cadbury or Hershey's product.

If a Thai bloke is telling me something in mixed Thai/English language, and I indicate my understanding by uttering  "I hear", in which language should the listener interpret the utterance? :coffee1:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Gsxrnz said:

wonder if the actual N word was spoken in the English vernacular, or if some Thai language equivalent was spoken.

Pretty sure that version of the word is not a racist slur, according to Quentin Tarantino!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

'Every human being has emotions but they have to control them while doing their job. "

Well, that is simply just not true.

Starting with the view that 'free will' does not exist.

That we are the overall result of the cultural traits of where we were born and raised.

So expecting that all people 'have control' of their emotions, on the job or not, is quite clearly a delusion.

And some cultures are worse than others for many reasons, regarding emotional control....

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2023-10-17/stanford-scientist-robert-sapolskys-decades-of-study-led-him-to-conclude-we-dont-have-free-will-determined-book?fbclid=IwAR36nBj-5im_PjcZXPknipzse_aYy7IIhM3x3hAM_z4AZgALakprHfAT-es

We are all puppets here...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Could have been worse... I remember many years ago a "dark-skinned" player joined a certain London team...

And if I can remember right, he picked one up, peeled it and took a bite. Got applause from the banana throwers who didn't do it again after being shown to be childish.

Clyde Best was a Upton Park hero.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I remember such incidents ... such shameful behaviour and interstellar levels of ignorance

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Brits

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I can understand Thai. He scolded me so clearly: “Ni**a!

And the Thai word for the N-word is what?   I don't buy this as the N-word is a foreign word to Thais.  If they are going to use it, it would sound like the N-word. 

It's like the ref calling me farang and then me complaining, "I can understand Thai. He scolded me so clearly: Whitey!
Like the word farang which is used for light skinned people of EU origin, the terms kon dam and kon kerk are in the Thai lexicon to label dark skinned people of African and equatorial regions and Central Asians and Middle Easterners.

Is that racist?  That's been debated to death on this forum.  Did the ref say "Ni**ga" in Thai?  I highly doubt it.  And if he said kon dam or kon kerk, is it anymore racist that kon farang?

13 minutes ago, Goat said:

They still use the version with the "o' sound.

It is used to describe people from Africa. 

It doesnt have the same nastiness as in English. It was in my first "learn Thai" textbook.

https://dict.longdo.com/search/*นิโกร*

You mean this? 
"In the English language, the word negro is a term historically used to denote persons considered to be of Black African heritage. The word negro means the color black in both Spanish and in Portuguese , where English took it from. The term can be construed as offensive, inoffensive, or completely neutral, largely depending on the region or country where it is used, as well as the context in which it is applied."

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

Edited by connda

4 minutes ago, connda said:

And the Thai word for the N-word is what?   I don't buy this as the N-word is a foreign word to Thais.  If they are going to use it, it would sound like the N-word. 

It's like the ref calling me farang and then me complaining, "I can understand Thai. He scolded me so clearly: Whitey!
Like the word farang which is used for light skinned people of EU origin, the terms kon dam and kon kerk are in the Thai lexicon to label dark skinned people of African and equatorial regions and Central Asians and Middle Easterners.

Is that racist?  That's been debated to death on this forum.  Did the ref say "Ni**ga" in Thai?  I highly doubt it.  And if he said kon dam or kon kerk, is it anymore racist that kon farang?

Thais commonly use the word 'nego'. But in Thai what if he said 'ai dam' (very unlikely he'd say 'khon dam')? Would you not accept that 'ai dam' would be offensive?

1 minute ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Thais commonly use the word 'nego'. But in Thai what if he said 'ai dam' (very unlikely he'd say 'khon dam')? Would you not accept that 'ai dam' would be offensive?

The same a Anutin saying, "Ai farang," when tourists wouldn't take his masks three years back.
The expletive, "ai" is the problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, connda said:

The same a Anutin saying, "Ai farang," when tourists wouldn't take his masks three years back.

8 minutes ago, connda said:

It's a deliberate choice of a combination words to be offensive. 

5 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Ignorant older Thai would say ne*roes - not right but they don't know any better

if they actually say n*gga it shows that they know and intent to cause offence  

But the guy said, "I know Thai," so obviously the ref didn't use the American inter-city word, "ni**a."  He said something in the Thai language that the player said was the word "ni**a." 

Lost in translation is more like it.

Edited by connda