Old condo buildings in Pattaya. Do you live in one?

advancebooking

I recently stayed in View Talay 6 next to the Hilton. Great location- probably one of the best locations in central Pattaya IMHO. 

However, the lifts have many problems. One morning I witnessed the alarm bell being rung by a group of farang stuck in one of the lifts. It went past the level of floor. Staff managed to open the doors and luckily there was a gap they could climb out of. 

The next day I was in one and it stopped and lights went out. Rang the alarm and lights were activated. 

Never seen an actual technician arrive from the lift company. Recipe for disaster I think. 

The condo I stayed in was also very old. But great views

If you live in an old building in Pattaya, does management pay for upkeep of facilities? 

I live in a condo 30 years old, well maintained but that's because at last few AGMs there's been votes to give extra supplementary fees, plus raise common fees, plus good management now.

Certainly don't buy in a place poorly maintained. As for lifts, I chose a lower floor, same price as higher floor but can use the stairs if lifts are busy 

• Like 1

What is old? VT6 can only be what 15 years old. I suspect the problem with the lift is that they are not maintained properly. They need inspecting regularly and the electronics replaced regularly, with original manufacturer parts, even though they are expensive.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I live in a condo 30 years old, well maintained but that's because at last few AGMs there's been votes to give extra supplementary fees, plus raise common fees, plus good management now.

I think that is an important point.

Many people seem to like low maintenance fees - until there is no money to repair anything.

It's good if the maintenance fee is not so low and the money is used for maintenance. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Our condo in Bangkok was built in 1991. The standard of building was much higher back then. The place is owned entirely by 1 family, who live on the premises. They are very vigilant, and the staff are busy maintaining the place. There is wear & tear, obviously, but everything works. Rent is not cheap, but it is value for money. Presumably, something similar can be found in Pattaya?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Our condo in Bangkok was built in 1991. The standard of building was much higher back then. The place is owned entirely by 1 family, who live on the premises. They are very vigilant, and the staff are busy maintaining the place. There is wear & tear, obviously, but everything works. Rent is not cheap, but it is value for money. Presumably, something similar can be found in Pattaya?

Of course…

i'm in an older building and the technician seems to be always "resetting the elevator" or working on it.

it usually works, but being on the highest floor it's given me reason to pause. i would probably check out the elevator as best you can if you were buying in an older building. if you are just renting it probably does not matter much unless you had mobility problems or were much older.

i think it's kind of hard for them to maintain in thailand, like it requires specialized skills or something.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

The word maintenance is rarely used in the Thai language at any level...

It's common to allow things to breakdown and then bodge a repair of sorts 

We own a condo in Phuket and I have to say the management are spot on, in this project at least, the other week we needed some light bulbs changing my wife contacted the office she dropped a keycard for them it was done that morning,

A couple of months ago a guest blocked the toilet and it was on a Sunday morning and the office here is open 7 days a week my wife again contacted them and the maintenance guy called back he will be there in 10 minutes, how's that for service on a Sunday morning? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Makes you wonder when these 30/40/50 story condos get older and their lifts don't work. How will the people living at the top manage?

stairs, probably.

or a "special assessment" to fix the elevators.

glad I'm renting...

Edited by JimTripper

I am looking to buy a condo soon ( still working 8 months to go ) so for last few trips to pattaya area I've did the air bnb test .I stayed view talay 6 and 3 in jomtien. Vt 6 great views but it's a hotel more or less with lift not going down to car park levels so shopping carry up minimum 1 level.

Vt 3 for me seemed perfect condo seems quiet and prices much lower than average I'm heavily leaning towards purchasing here unless anyone has some information why its a bad idea ?

6 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

I am looking to buy a condo soon ( still working 8 months to go ) so for last few trips to pattaya area I've did the air bnb test .I stayed view talay 6 and 3 in jomtien. Vt 6 great views but it's a hotel more or less with lift not going down to car park levels so shopping carry up minimum 1 level.

Vt 3 for me seemed perfect condo seems quiet and prices much lower than average I'm heavily leaning towards purchasing here unless anyone has some information why its a bad idea ?

Why not buy if you intend to spend some time here, with a condo just check the foreigner freehold quota, check how many units are listed on Airbnb, 

10 minutes ago, lextsy said:

3 brand new lifts (completely new rails and everything) in a 23 story building cost 100k baht as my special levy (on 100sqm condo).

These lifts are estimated to last 30 years. In the same turn this condo in 2014 was 4.4m (estimated rent 25-30k pm).

I have been here 10 years and estimated value is 6.5m and rent 30-35k.

Glad im renting statements dont really equal the math. (Approx spent 5m thb in 9 years on ownership with no rent and 6.5m asset) where renting would be 3mb spent with no asset

Bull <deleted> rent at 20k it 30k I paid 6000 for a room last year was t worth more then that 

11 minutes ago, lextsy said:

3 brand new lifts (completely new rails and everything) in a 23 story building cost 100k baht as my special levy (on 100sqm condo).

These lifts are estimated to last 30 years. In the same turn this condo in 2014 was 4.4m (estimated rent 25-30k pm).

I have been here 10 years and estimated value is 6.5m and rent 30-35k.

Glad im renting statements dont really equal the math. (Approx spent 5m thb in 9 years on ownership with no rent and 6.5m asset) where renting would be 3mb spent with no asset

Your talking out some offices of your body you will never get your back your money back after you even after you die and your grandchildren die