Change in the tax law does target expats living in Thailand and extends reporting obligations

webfact

2 minutes ago, Homburg said:

The way that I would expect this to work is that you compute total Thai taxes due on your gross income, you are then allowed to deduct from that total any taxes already suffered, leaving a net amount payable in Thailand.  Please note that if the taxes paid elsewhere exceed the Thai taxes then no refund is due!

Isn't that the same as what I posted?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I placed the laugh emoticon - I have trouble imagining how they will ever figure that out!

I presume that you would be firstly required to declare your income under the new laws. You would then not be able to show any tax paid in the UK.  They may possibly accept a letter from the UK Revenue stating that you are not required to pay tax on it. However, an article I read by a 'Tax Accountant' in Thailand suggested that the Double Taxation Agreement between the UK and Thailand did not include such matters and that tax would be payable on pension income that was over the Thai tax threshold.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Right now with overseas banks and brokerages you can tick the box "Thailand issues TIN's but i am not legally required to obtain one"

Not sure that will be an option going forward - may have to get a Thai TIN to continue with an overseas account if resident in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As I understand it, and I may well be wrong - double tax agreements don't prevent you from being taxed in Thailand.  My understanding is that if the amount of tax you paid in your home country is less than you would have paid in Thailand - you will have to pay the difference.  That might not be the case in many situations but one group that may well be affected is those on a pension.  For example, if your UK pension is less than the UK tax threshold - which many are, you don't pay tax on it in the UK.  However, even the basic UK pension is over the Thai tax threshold and therefore, according to my understanding and what I've read, it will be taxable if you bring it into Thailand.

It's a good summary of what they want to do with pensioners who don't pay taxes in their country.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gknrd said:

It will go into effect , it won't matter if it is challenged in court or not. 

Nightmare to be  enforced or not, it does not matter. 

My guess is they will have authorized tax officials that you will have to get signed off on before you go to immigration for an extension of your visa.

my tax slips come in in january and my extension is due in november. it will be a hell of an impossible juggling act

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I believe most people here are safe - for now.

"At the time of writing, Thailand has concluded 61 double tax agreements with countries worldwide.

Armenia Hungary Poland
Australia India Romania
Austria Indonesia Russia
Bahrain Israel Seychelles
Bangladesh Italy Singapore
Belarus Japan Slovenia
Belgium Korea South Africa
Bulgaria Kuwait Spain
Cambodia Laos Sri Lanka
Canada Luxembourg Sweden
Chile Malaysia Switzerland
China Mauritius Taipei
Cyprus Myanmar Tajikistan
Czech Republic Nepal Turkey
Denmark Netherlands Ukraine
Estonia New Zealand United Arab Emirates
Finland Norway United States of America
Germany Oman Uzbekistan
Great Britain and Northern Ireland Pakistan Vietnam
Hong Kong

Philippines"

https://www.belaws.com/thailand/double-tax-agreements/

Right. Most people seem to be disregarding this proviso. The only major omission I can see is France.

6 minutes ago, Plus Esse Quam Simultatur said:

They started already more than 2 years ago this project.

Ather living here for more than 15 years and on government pension from Denmark I was suddenly called in for a meeting at the Tax office in Jomtien which covers all Banglamung area. I was ordered to bring different papers like the yearly tax payment and pension income from Denmark and bank account papers. They ran through it all and then fined me for not having reporting the last 2 years. Has been hear anything before so it was a big surprise they did this move. Denmark has a double taxation agreement with Thailand. At the same time I got a tax number so I could report the following year which I actually denied to do because the online reporting wasn't set up. I have never had an income from other places than my pension.

I was fined 400 Baht which I had to pay in the Ampur and not at the tax office.

Oh Yes they mean business with this tax for foreingers no doubt about that. Thinking differently will be a big mistake.

The concequens will be that I leave Thailand for good if they want to act silly which they always do. I live here permanently for you information 

That is truly discouraging. 😔

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I believe most people here are safe - for now.

"At the time of writing, Thailand has concluded 61 double tax agreements with countries worldwide.

Armenia Hungary Poland
Australia India Romania
Austria Indonesia Russia
Bahrain Israel Seychelles
Bangladesh Italy Singapore
Belarus Japan Slovenia
Belgium Korea South Africa
Bulgaria Kuwait Spain
Cambodia Laos Sri Lanka
Canada Luxembourg Sweden
Chile Malaysia Switzerland
China Mauritius Taipei
Cyprus Myanmar Tajikistan
Czech Republic Nepal Turkey
Denmark Netherlands Ukraine
Estonia New Zealand United Arab Emirates
Finland Norway United States of America
Germany Oman Uzbekistan
Great Britain and Northern Ireland Pakistan Vietnam
Hong Kong

Philippines"

https://www.belaws.com/thailand/double-tax-agreements/

Exactly. And it is likely that many of us who are not currently taxpayers in Thailand will not be affected one iota. 

• Like 1

You are all missing the point.

Currently, Thailand considers income earned over 12 months ago as capital and capital is not taxed.

Thus, if you can earn income tax free at source and then spend income earned 13 months ago, you legally have no tax to pay.

However, if Thailand changes their interpretation of capital or requires income earned anywhere to be taxed in the year it is earned, you would technically have to declare your income and suffer Thai taxation.

In reality, if you are paid into Hong Kong and transfer capital, no-one is ever going to ask you where the money came from because it is none of their business.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

This situation begs the question as to why Thailand insists on inventing the wheel all over again... is it pride or ignorance that blinds them to other tried and true systems that are up and running with all the bugs already dealt with. Asking for a friend.

Thailand is frighteningly inclusive, especially at beaurocracy level. The world is subservient to Thai thinking.🙃🙃

5 minutes ago, SGD said:

You are all missing the point.

Currently, Thailand considers income earned over 12 months ago as capital and capital is not taxed.

Thus, if you can earn income tax free at source and then spend income earned 13 months ago, you legally have no tax to pay.

However, if Thailand changes their interpretation of capital or requires income earned anywhere to be taxed in the year it is earned, you would technically have to declare your income and suffer Thai taxation.

In reality, if you are paid into Hong Kong and transfer capital, no-one is ever going to ask you where the money came from because it is none of their business.

The new law closes the loop on income earned in 1 year and brought into Thailand the next year.

When I first moved here 30 odd years ago ,you had to get a tax clearance before you

were allowed to leave the country , it was a farce ,only ever had to pay more than 500

Baht , the lady doing the assessment was more interested in asking me to bring her

some knickers and bras from my overseas trip.