Coffee pod machine.

malt25

Hi all. I'm considering  purchasing a coffee pod machine. I know absolutely nil about them. Appears to be a range of price & models. Would appreciate any advice, suggestions, preferably from owners of these machines. Thanks.....     Mal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a Nespresso. I wouldn't bother, just buy a Moka Pot circ 400 baht on Lazada and experiment with different ground coffees or beans on Lazada 

French press type pot, 1 litre, Makro 200Bht. Coffee grinder 120 Bht Lazada. Whole beans available anywhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Those pods are extremely over priced.

I've used the Nespresso pod machines at resorts and tend to be finicky to say the least.  I always end up just using the hot water kettle and making instant. 

When I wake up I want my coffee now.

At home we have a fancy coffee machine that automatically grounds the beans and gives you all sorts of options on a digital screen. 

Brilliant, but overkill since I'm the only person drinking coffee. 

Screenshot_20231106_184543_Lazada.thumb.jpg.da0d029599aaacd909afa9258053b0d3.jpg

I just got myself a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me on promotion on Lazada, 2,400 instead of 4,600. The pods are a bit pricey at 270 for a box of 16, which at 2 per day is a coffee budget of 1,000 per month. Worth it IMO as I prefer espressos to filtered coffee. I could easily combine it with instant though to reduce costs. Overall I'm happy with the purchase as it's also handy to have if you have people over at your place (being French, we drink espressos).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I just got myself a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me on promotion on Lazada, 2,400 instead of 4,600. The pods are a bit pricey at 270 for a box of 16, which at 2 per day is a coffee budget of 1,000 per month. Worth it IMO as I prefer espressos to filtered coffee. I could easily combine it with instant though to reduce costs. Overall I'm happy with the purchase as it's also handy to have if you have people over at your place (being French, we drink espressos).

Yes but you are getting 30 coffees for the price of about 10 coffees in a coffee shop and a lot more at Starbucks. great value.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So much biowaste using pods  or is it?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/10/single-use-coffee-pod-environment-impact-better

Ifvwe dind a good deal on green beans we roast our own in a modified air popcorn popper.   We have found them as low as 1$/#.  Probably a bag that had a hole.   We had about 20# that we had in 5# vac bags in the freezer.  But that pennies per coffee is gone.  

Ps usu6ng Starbucks to compare prices is insanity.    The fools who line up everyday after dropping the kids off at school amazes me.  These same complain about the price of gas.   Sad to read Starbucks profits are up.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a Nespresso. I wouldn't bother, just buy a Moka Pot circ 400 baht on Lazada and experiment with different ground coffees or beans on Lazada 

So many different opinions on coffee...   

For value vs taste I'd go with this comment above...   (and grinding your own recently roasted beans).

For perspective - I have a handful of coffee brewing options and use them all.... Breville Barista Pro Espresso machine, french press, hand held Picopresso (for camping and travelling), Bialetti Moka-pot, Nespresso (older one & wife still uses it for decaf) & a newer Nespresso Vertuoso.

The Nespresso Vertuo....  is a recent purchase for use at work, its simply so convenient and makes very good coffee.

I still prefer my Espresso Machine *(when properly dialed into the specific bean & roast).

IMO - Don't bother with the Dolce Gusto, my mother has one in the UK and not very good at all... though its better than instant (I bought a Moka pot for there so I dont have to use the Dolce Gusto).

So.. Op.. You want a Pod Machine - Hands down best option IMO, Nespresso Vertuo (machines cost about 8000 baht).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i have had two Nespresso machines. Convenient to make a quick coffee, but works out expensive. Those pods are over 28THB each, plus postage unless you buy over a certain amount. First one lasted two years. The second one still OK, but only the GF uses it. 

To keep cost down, I tried some reuseable stainless Nespresso capsules from Amazon, but it was too much hassle. Similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Triplot-Reusable-Capsules-Nespresso-OriginalLine/dp/B09R1FTR4D/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=reusable+pods+for+nespresso&qid=1699318901&sr=8-3

There are several different makes and models of these machines now, all with their own proprietry shaped capsules. The Dolce Gusto one is everywhere here, but I don't know how expensive or not the capsules are.

We had this 2,300 baht Xiaomi unit for few months - until decided we preferred old (less strong) standby Moccona instant coffee.  Machine worked OK and not expensive and accepted normal Nespresso capsules. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-capsule-coffee-machine-85-cm-i1663000151-s8922580608.html?

Edited by lopburi3

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

i have had two Nespresso machines. Convenient to make a quick coffee, but works out expensive. Those pods are over 28THB each, plus postage unless you buy over a certain amount. First one lasted two years. The second one still OK, but only the GF uses it. 

To keep cost down, I tried some reuseable stainless Nespresso capsules from Amazon, but it was too much hassle. Similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Triplot-Reusable-Capsules-Nespresso-OriginalLine/dp/B09R1FTR4D/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=reusable+pods+for+nespresso&qid=1699318901&sr=8-3

There are several different makes and models of these machines now, all with their own proprietry shaped capsules. The Dolce Gusto one is everywhere here, but I don't know how expensive or not the capsules are.

DG are about 17 baht per capsule, if you use DG capsules and not Starbucks capsules. But starbucks work out at about 27 baht per coffee.

Also wondering why you think 28 baht for a coffee is expensive?.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

Care to elaborate why you think it's rubbish.

The 'espresso' pods that came with the machine don't taste like espresso at all but more like drip coffee. They don't have the body or mouthfeel of real espresso.

Since then I've started using a stainless steel reusable capsule with my own coffee which is a bit better but still not great as I think the pressure isn't high enough to make real espresso.

I'm considering upgrading to a real espresso machine but the good ones seem to be made in Italy with a lot of tax added on for the Thai price.

• Thanks 1

There is a Thai brand of coffee that have the pods for a DG machine, every so often in Tops a special deal like buy one get one, "Duchess" is the brand name and they have a web site maybe you can buy from there, 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whenever I read opinions about coffee and all the stuff different people like/dislike, I am reminded of that movie 'Bucket List' with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson :  Kopi Luwak Coffee The Bucket List - YouTube

We used to have a coffee machine from Aldi (In Aust) that was great and cheap - lasted for over 6 years (could not bring it here).  Made by Expressi for Aldi - looked it up on Lazada and it costs 5 times the price in Aust and the pods cost 6-8 times as much.  

We are sticking to Macconna - only 2 times the price in Aust - we like the taste and it is quick/easy. And no need to clean a machione every year - you should see the crap that gets inside them over time.  I recommend you only ever use bottled water in a machine here - and clean them frequently too. 

Back in Europe I chose a Tassimo machine for home and L'Or pods.

Great combo and better than friends Nespresso machines.

Unfortunately there is no Tassimo in Thailand.

I have the home grown Bon Cafe system here. Good coffee, pods are better value than most and they regularly do a, buy bulk coffee pack and get machine free deal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Have to disagree with you that pods are expensive. I have a Dolce Gusto pod machine (similar to Nespresso, just pod size is different). I like Espresso coffee and buying a box of really delicious Arabica Espresso capsules works out to only 17 baht a coffee, and made in approximately 2-3 minutes..piping hot (box of 16 is 276 baht).

So excellent pricing.

And for people that like Starbucks, then the  Espresso capsules (columbian) work out at 32 baht a coffee (box of 10 = 329 baht). Great taste also.......just about to have one after dinner.

Also my DG machine which has never missed a beat in 4 years, was only 1900 baht during a covid promotion (not 44k). 

Sounds good.

Personally I drink coffee in 10 oz portions throughout the day so instant or ground coffee is cheaper for my.

Pods are definitely worth a look at though.

In the US Id get my podsby the case at COSTCO, I remember those were cheap! 

3 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Care to elaborate why you think it's rubbish.

I stopped using my Nespresso when I checked what was in the pods. Instant coffee!!! I wrote to Nescafé who refused to deny my suspicions and accusations. Problem solved. I bought the reusable pods online and now fill them with my own ground coffee. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, malt25 said:

Hi all. I'm considering  purchasing a coffee pod machine. I know absolutely nil about them. Appears to be a range of price & models. Would appreciate any advice, suggestions, preferably from owners of these machines. Thanks.....     Mal.

Forget the idea... convenience against huge price for the pods.

• Confused 2

About two years ago and still available now any Lazada or Shopee you can buy a coffee machine that changes to different pods and you can also use your favourite ground coffee so I will recommend a multiple pod machine and cheaper ground coffee can also be used on one of the attachments

19 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I got a dolce gusto Have it for about 4 years and I am very happy with it, I don't want to compare prices since I am in OZ now, where things might be dearer because of higher wages I paid about 70 AUD for the machine and about 50AUD for 74 pods including delivery.

Edited by still kicking
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1