Carabao-Red Sun hops into the ring to challenge Thai beer titans Singha and Chang

webfact

On 11/9/2023 at 2:53 PM, Millman said:

I suggest people try the Leo Strong 8 brew..it’s actually a better lager than the rice beers produced by Chang and Singha. Taste a lot like Lao beer.

About time there was a bit of a challenge to the big boys and it will be worth buying an all malt brew at a slightly higher price.

Although it is no stronger than regular Leo.....unless you notice the extra 0.1%

I bought a couple of cans of Lager and Dunkel. There was only one big bottle on the shelf so they must have been popular but they had 12 can flats of both types.

First impression.

I poured a beer into a glass. It fizzed like cola but there was no head. I’m not a chemist or a brewer so I can say why there is no head. OK for me as I get rid of the head on all other beers I drink.

Lager. Passable but had a bit of a lingering aftertaste. I won’t be changing to that.

Dunkel. Also no head and I preferred it to the lager as it doesn’t have the aftertaste.

I don’t buy beer to drink at home and when out I am forced by my local establishments to drink Leo as I don’t like Chang.

However there is one place where I can get my favourite which is Tiger and another where I drink Asahi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I bought a couple of cans of Lager and Dunkel. There was only one big bottle on the shelf so they must have been popular but they had 12 can flats of both types.

First impression.

I poured a beer into a glass. It fizzed like cola but there was no head. I’m not a chemist or a brewer so I can say why there is no head. OK for me as I get rid of the head on all other beers I drink.

Lager. Passable but had a bit of a lingering aftertaste. I won’t be changing to that.

Dunkel. Also no head and I preferred it to the lager as it doesn’t have the aftertaste.

I don’t buy beer to drink at home and when out I am forced by my local establishments to drink Leo as I don’t like Chang.

However there is one place where I can get my favourite which is Tiger and another where I drink Asahi.

Dunkel nothing special?

22 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Myth perpetrated by donkeys, little boys and simpletons from certain climes

Exactly the audience I was winding up, and here you are.:clap2:Brits are the most fun. You get the initial arrogance, superiority, and lecturing, followed by the hidden chagrin afterward.

22 hours ago, daveAustin said:

beer (you probably don’t know what that is) at the optimum temp.

I once tried that very popular Wife Beater pilsner beer, top brand in the UK. Once was enough, no matter the temp. I guess our expats substitute Chang and Leo. :tongue:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:37 PM, lordgrinz said:

I would put them in the same category as Budweiser, swill.

An old Aussies opinion:

Leo and Budweiser are both brown fizzy water. I'm on my 3rd try of Carabao Lager and give it a thumbs up, better flavor than Singha or Chang (to me) but still think Heineken is the best freely available here and for a treat I'll grab a Stella Artois 500ml can or 2.

I've tried the lager and to me it's similar to My Beer (too fizzy), and not something I'd buy in preference to Leo 8 or Tapper. The Dunkel was kind of tame. Not a great deal of flavour but inoffensive. I'll keep a couple for when I want a change. My wife also bought the Weizen Rose by mistake and I - and she - would liken it to Spy wine, so not to be repeated. I'm still looking for the two I most want to try, Weizen and IPA. My normal tipple is Lao IPA but at around 74 for a small bottle it's a bit pricy. All the new beers seem to be 40 for a small can and 60 for a large bottle.

Posts containing photos of beverages containing alcohol and the replies have removed for contravening our Community Standards have been removed:

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 6:39 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

My normal tipple is Lao IPA but at around 74 for a small bottle it's a bit pricy. All the new beers seem to be 40 for a small can and 60 for a large bottle.

I like Laobeer IPA. At 74b it works out to GBP 2.92 a pint which is about half what you would pay for a decent IPA in the U.K. now. In my opinion it's worth a little extra now and again, especially as it's a limited edition and might one day disappear. 

On 11/13/2023 at 6:39 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I've tried the lager and to me it's similar to My Beer (too fizzy), and not something I'd buy in preference to Leo 8 or Tapper. The Dunkel was kind of tame. Not a great deal of flavour but inoffensive. I'll keep a couple for when I want a change. My wife also bought the Weizen Rose by mistake and I - and she - would liken it to Spy wine, so not to be repeated. I'm still looking for the two I most want to try, Weizen and IPA. My normal tipple is Lao IPA but at around 74 for a small bottle it's a bit pricy. All the new beers seem to be 40 for a small can and 60 for a large bottle.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:07 PM, Pond Life said:

I just tried the Dunkel.

I got it from a Lotus Express 60B big bottle. 

I like it, not as good as Erdinger Dunkel but for 60B it beats the pants off the big 3.

Weihenstephaner and Paulaner Dunkels are great if you can get hold of them.

I tried the Dunkel for 5 days.

1 large bottle every night, and 2 days I had 2 bottles. I liked it as it tastes smooth, and I prefer dark beers.

What I noticed during those days is that each and every night I experienced terrible nightmares, including sleepwalking.

I haven't had any beers for the past week, and neither have I had nightmares

Maybe it was a coincidence, but I leave the post here in case someone else experienced something similar.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, bamnutsak said:

You've got to love how some seem to get around the ban on marketing beer on social media.

While others, yea you, over there, the MovrForward MP, yea I'm talking about you, seem to be prosecuted.

Odd justice system.

Glad to see some are paying attention. 👍🏻

I assume you're using the word 'odd' as a synonym for other, less euphemistic but more accurate expressions like 'totally corrupt....rigged.....unjust.....etc.. (If so, I don't blame you.) 😎

8 hours ago, BenStark said:

1 large bottle every night, and 2 days I had 2 bottles. I liked it as it tastes smooth, and I prefer dark beers.

What I noticed during those days is that each and every night I experienced terrible nightmares, including sleepwalking.

Maybe it was a coincidence, but I leave the post here in case someone else experienced something similar.

i had a few chang drafts the other day, a little sleep walking followed, I've not had that for 10 years the days of Stella, i reckon they've added something

I popped into our local Tops today. They were pretty well stocked for craft beers but no Carabao as yet. Also no Laobeer IPA now, which is a shame. I cheered myself up with a bottle of Weihenstephaner Vitus.

I also saw a Belgian beer called Martha, but I wan't to find out something about it first.

A post with a photo of cans of beer and a reply has been removed as per the following forum rule:

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

On 11/29/2023 at 9:20 PM, metisdead said:

A post with a photo of cans of beer and a reply has been removed as per the following forum rule:

Isn't saying which beers you prefer and why endorsing such beers?  Isn't talking about new products and saying where you can buy them promoting them?

A ridiculous law.

On 11/23/2023 at 7:48 PM, BenStark said:

I've had a few bottles of the Dunkel. Although I am not really a beer drinker I prefer dark beer to lager. 

Verdict, looks ok, nice half inch head of brown foam but taste nothing special . Still a bit fizzy in my opinion and not so smooth. 

I was in the UK a few months ago and tried a Newcastle Brown to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was.

Manns origan Brown Ale better but finally ended up drinking Hobgoblin Ruby as more readily available. Better than anything in Thailand.

• Love It 1

• 2 weeks later...

Carabao has finally appeared out here in the sticks, but only the Carabao Lager and Tawandaeng Weizen. I haven't cracked open the weizen yet but tried the lager. It's interesting but I agree it's got an aftertaste that I can't quite identify. I'm hoping for more from the dunkel when it finally surfaces.

I note that only the dunkel and lager have the Carabao branding whilst the weizen, rosée and IPA appear under the Tawandaeng German Brewery name. I'm not normally a fan of rosée but I'm eager to try the IPA.