Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

I downloaded a read the file, since I have been moderating forums for over 20 years, some very toxic, and I found the document underwhelming.

Of 10 pages in total, there are 5 pages of content, but the font is very big, like when I was a student and lacked inspiration, lol.

Maybe it can serve as a short introduction for new moderators and new forum owners regarding the basics, making rules and the handful of tools they describe.

Other than that it doesn't bring any insights at all, and is seriously lacking in the tools department.

How to prevent bot registrations ?

How to place individual users on pre-moderation ?

How to prevent spam ?

How to use BHL / Blacklists / Spamcop ?

How to recognize multiple accounts and banned users coming back with new usernames ?

How to handle VPN / anonymizers / proxies / TOR ?

What are today's tools for permanent fingerprinting / persistent cookies against fraud ?

How to prevent phishing ?

Just to name a few issues.

The scoop of the ebook is not for techies. It's written by the software vendor Invision a in language for members and new mods to get an insight in the moderating world. And it was a good topic starter apparently.

For obvious reasons we can't discuss the details or security setup of the backend of this forum. We are doing very good in that aspect. No worries there.

• Like 1

If I could sum up my opinion of the forum in one word, it would be....

Boring..

I just find myself scrolling through page after page of threads that just don't interest me.

And when I do finally find a thread that interests me, I find myself scrolling through page after page of posts that don't interest me.

I'd like you see a but more context.

If someone starts a thread "I got drunk last night", is it because he ran into a bunch of Danish backpackers on a train, went to the father in law's funeral, celebrated a birthday.....

Or did they just get drunk last night and they feel the need to tell everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, george said:

False! There is no paid member postings on this platform. We do have some paid staff posting news stories and social media content and curating content though. Please stop accuse us for things that is not true.

A while back (I think two years back, actually, round the time I took a break) there were posts from management about openings for 'content creators'. Were these related to the 'paid staff' you referenced?

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

Absolutely agree, unconditionally!

Crossy the Electric Man and Sheryl the Health/Medical Expert - their contributions are invaluable and offered so generously.

A recent great loss to the forum is the Late Ubon Joe - the immigration expert.  RIP Joe.

These are the type of experts who add great value to forums such as this.

Yes, your services/advice are appreciated whole heartedly - Thank you!

Says a lot about the rest of them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

However, humor should not be lowbrow, IMHO.

wait, which one is low brow again?

never mind, bodily functions, humiliation etc. Well, there goes 85% of poster material right there.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I see no "toxicity" or "negativity". All I see are attempts to control the way people think. If you want a true forum, let opinions flow freely. Moderators create toxicity and negativity where it does not exist. A moderated forum is not really a forum but merely a tool for control of the narrative.

LOL. If there was no "toxicity" on the forum I wouldn't be on my 3rd page of ignored posters. Had to put another one on that just had to put personal abuse in his post.

I used to put up with it, but now I just make them vanish. Reduces the number of posts that I can respond do, but when it's abuse why bother? I don't do it for just one or two abusive posts but when it's all the time  or really bad I do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Interesting we have a thread on moderation, when I thought discussion of the topic was against forum rules.

I thought it would have been closed ages ago. Perhaps someone wants to know why so many long time posters just don't bother any more, and never found out because it couldn't be discussed.

I still won't go too far though, and still won't discuss that which can't be discussed.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How is "misinformation" being judged now? Still getting suspensions and bans? A lot of things that were considered "misinformation" three or so years ago have turned out to be "informed" now. 

"Misinformation" has no place on this forum. Misinformation will be removed.

More info about that in the Community guidelines:

https://aseannow.com/terms/

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What is annoying, is the repetitive ignorance/trolling of good info threads; solar & EV threads being prime example.   Repetitive stupid comments = trolling, going way being ignorance, and they really should be told to stop it or put on vacation.

It's equally annoying to be called a troll and stupid when one tries to introduce facts and data to solar and EV threads because supporters cannot countenance any negative information about their pet subject.

It's also dishonest ad hominem argument, attacking the poster instead of addressing the facts and data posted.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, george said:

I am monitoring this issue. Thanks for bringing this up.

I think it is now quite easy for everyone to know the few posters that continuously post drivel. You can put them on ignore or simply when I just see the names of the usual suspects I don't bother to read the posts.

• Like 1

Just now, Thailand said:

I think it is now quite easy for everyone to know the few posters that continuously post drivel. You can put them on ignore or simply when I just see the names of the usual suspects I don't bother to read the posts.

Use the report button and put people you don't like on ignore, like in Real Life, and Mods take care of the rest.