Thai Government Plans to Establish Clean Drinking Tap Water

webfact

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

No it is not. The source water is good, the delivery is not.

So they want to make tap water available to millions? I assume they will be changing the pipes in apartment ghettos.

Right.

You read and quote the first line and respond to that ??  Maybe read the entire post - and then respond.  Here is the pertinent parts again for you:

BUT the issue is that on certain occasions, especially during/after floods, things get in where they should not. The whole system is prone to 'leaks' - while the water leaving the provider might be OK, it is what that water travels through and what 'joins it' before it gets to your tap that is the problem

• Like 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Just like they are going to take care of this.  Maybe they'll have clean tap water to Government House and the enclaves where the wealthy and politicians live.  Nobody else is going to drinking clean tap water in my lifetime.

tangle-cables-power-wires-chiang-mai-thailand-may-asia-185861759.thumb.jpg.85ec3159920a8d92f53834fb3baa1f37.jpg

A 'smart' network?

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Then you don't live in BKK? 

But Bangkok is only a very small part of Thailand, Now compare that with the thousands of KMs of waterpipes that will need to be laid across the rest of the country, the thousands of treatment plants needed, the huge cost, IF a completely separate drinking water supply has to be provided.

Just think of the opportunities for corruption that will ensue.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Now compare that with the thousands of KMs of waterpipes that will need to be laid across the rest of the country, the thousands of treatment plants needed,

Most large towns already have pipes and water treatment plants. They don't all need to be connected.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Most large towns already have pipes and water treatment plants. They don't all need to be connected.

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and NOT in Bangkok or any other big city.

My current water supply comes along a government pipeline. It then goes about 5 metres to a cross connected setup of 20 ongs which is MY 1st first line of filtration.

The bigger sediment drops in there. It then runs through 2 x 5 micron filters before it even reaches the pump. I replace the first filter every 3 to 4 weeks and the second filter every couple of months as they are blocked by that point, at a cost a cost of 150 baht per filter.

Even then there is a brown stain of sediment in the toilet from the sediment and the pollution, and you think that we should drink that?

It is OK for the laundry, washing etc but we don't drink it.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin publicly stated that the Thai government will also provide clean drinking tap water without an additional charge

That's  something I like to see, No charge YET

Providing Clean drinking water will be charged later.

Wen they working on the water supply somewhere around the village the water goes off (they don't even tell you) when it comes back on it's dirty Brown. How are they going to supply clean water .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Now here's something useful for this fool to do guinea pig the water supply, he knows what the swamp tastes like already🤔

I remember some 60 years ago { Yes I am that old }, being taken around our local Sewage works in the UK, {Family friend},   

We finally got to the Outfall, which would then discharge into this local Brook,  !

The Manager, dips a Clean glass into the water, and takes a drink  !

There you are he said "only 9 parts per Million suspended solids, and we just throw it away  !"

It was discharging into a Red, Green, Blue, Discharge from a nearby factory  !

A clear patch of water in the midst of this Techniclour stream !

If the UK could do that 60 years ago, why can't the Authorities here perform the same  ?

There are SO Many more modern methods of perfecting the drinking water  !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Tap water in Thailand some main cities (BKK, CM,etc.) is often good. BUT the issue is that on certain occasions, especially during/after floods, things get in where they should not. The whole system is prone to 'leaks' - while the water leaving the provider might be OK, it is what that water travels through and what 'joins it' before it gets to your tap that is the problem - sometimes.  We always buy those large bottles for the basics (cooking, sinks, etc.) and we buy bottled water at Mekro for drinking/tea/coffee.  

I remember a number of years ago Bangkok decided to enter its water in some international water tasting competition.  Of course, universal derision of what was then ThaiVisa.  However, it was explained, just as you have, that the water was actually very good, and safe to drink--at the source.  But, once it traveled through who knows what sort of pipes, in who knows what condition, the safety of the water could no longer be vouched for.  Not sure how they'll ever solve that problem.

17 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Tap water in Thailand some main cities (BKK, CM,etc.) is often good. BUT the issue is that on certain occasions, especially during/after floods, things get in where they should not. The whole system is prone to 'leaks' - while the water leaving the provider might be OK, it is what that water travels through and what 'joins it' before it gets to your tap that is the problem - sometimes.  We always buy those large bottles for the basics (cooking, sinks, etc.) and we buy bottled water at Mekro for drinking/tea/coffee.  

Right. Received wisdom has always told us that water leaving the water works is clean, but the distribution system isn't sealed so contaminants can get in, especially during flooding. Is this still the case though? I don't drink tap water in Thailand myself, but I sometimes wonder.

13 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Right. Received wisdom has always told us that water leaving the water works is clean, but the distribution system isn't sealed so contaminants can get in, especially during flooding. Is this still the case though? I don't drink tap water in Thailand myself, but I sometimes wonder.

We have been to and lived in a lot of places here - the locals buy filtered water everywhere - in villages and in gated communities.

The only exceptions are those that have the supplied water strongly filtered - like in a hotel - but even then only trust the 4/5 stars.

That is why it is so cheap here - for 30 Baht you get a 20 litre bottle delivered - that is best for cooking etc.

In the shops (not 7/11) you can buy 2 doxen 600ml bottles of filtered water for about 50 Baht ($2).

In Australia that would cost $12 to $15 depending on the brand you buy - it is much more if you buy just 1 in a shop.

I remember paying almost $5 for 1 bottle in a shop in Canberra and the Thai wife freaked out when she heard how much. 

• Like 1